• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

No modern footballer will give a fuck about the 50s. I just meant recent relative performance in cups, Europe etc

We can't really compete financially, but we can compete on the pitch, which is ultimately what counts. We've been more or less equal with them since we came up, last season aside.

Most Spurs fans I know are alright, generally are self-aware and have a tendancy to be downbeat and/or pessimistic - similar to us in a lot of ways. "Same old Spurs", etc.

Arsenal fans are just dickheads though.
Fine margins in more or less, they finished above us in all 3 seasons and currently are in this

De
Fair point. Conte may walk but they will always attract a top name while they have the financial muscle. They will win something soon.
Depends what you mean by soon, can't see them winning the league in the next 5 years, maybe a cup but the competition is fierce

A journalist here in Barcelona who called the Coutinho transfer is saying Adama's coming to Barca on loan until the end of the season.

Translation: Adama Traore is returning to Barcelona barring any unexpected twists. The club have signed him on loan until the end of season on good terms for them. The loan doesn't depend on Dembelé's situation.

Last edited:
History?

We've a deeper and more storied history than Spurs.
We do. But this century assuming our fan base is 20 plus in the majority ( I wasn't born when we last won the League or FA cup or indeed finished in the top 4, )they are still well ahead. Champions league finalists, Premier league runners up , League cup runners up since we came back to the premier league and still finished above in all three seasons. We have done well and could be well placed with the right investment, but competing toe to toe? Not for me. Its like Young Eubank fighting Tyson Fury. Sure he will land the odd blow but ultimately Tyson would be too big, too strong and knock him out.

caveat- That's true of all the big six teams v us. There is a well discussed and documented disparity between them and us and only Leicester , Newcastle and West Hamm are close to competing financially and even then their is a gap. Our owners have shown their plan and it does not include a lot of expenditure. So that gap will only grow in this format. Hence why if we do bloody the odd nose of those clubs we should really enjoy it because it will not be the norm.

Last edited:
De

Depends what you mean by soon, can't see them winning the league in the next 5 years, maybe a cup but the competition is fierce
Probably not the league but a cup or europa league is a possibility with their potential. I think they are better placed than Arsenal or Man united to do that at the moment but behind City Liverpool and Chelsea.

A journalist here in Barcelona who called the Coutinho transfer is saying Adama's coming to Barca on loan until the end of the season.

Translation: Adama Traore is returning to Barcelona barring any unexpected twists. The club have signed him on loan until the end of season on good terms for them. The loan doesn't depend on Dembelé's situation.
Really don't understand that - unless there is a player coming our way.

Right now Barca have to release/sell players to register a new one.

Don't see any scenario where a loan without a guaranteed purchase makes any sense. What if he does his ACL in that 6 months, his value is then 0? This isn't Cutrone where anybody paying his salary for a few months is a result

Don't see any scenario where a loan without a guaranteed purchase makes any sense. What if he does his ACL in that 6 months, his value is then 0? This isn't Cutrone where anybody paying his salary for a few months is a result
agreed- this looks like a sweetener. Who are we getting in return?

Probably not the league but a cup or europa league is a possibility with their potential. I think they are better placed than Arsenal or Man united to do that at the moment but behind City Liverpool and Chelsea.
Tbh, I think we're as likely to win summat as them, I realise that is a lot to do with my Wolves tinted specs but also recent history, since we've been back in the top division we've finished 7th twice and a comfy 13th, so I see us as direct competition with Spurs currently. Whether we cam maintain that is another debate.

Very interesting, I have a hard time envisioning that he’ll suddenly start picking up goals and assists left and right in Spain.

But Barcelona are stupid, so maybe they buy him regardless.

Right now Barca have to release/sell players to register a new one.
I thought they'd cleared the decks slightly to enable Torres to be signed and can only assume there's more 'space' available on their wage bill/structure.
Coutinho off the payroll and Umtiti's contract has been restructured in a bizarre move [considering he never plays and is unlikely to do so] that has extended it on reduced money.

Stating the bloody obvious, but it may as well be €100m if it's only an option. Absolutely has to be an obligation or at the very least one that triggers an obligation with very achievable targets (appearances not goals or assists 😉)

I thought they'd cleared the decks slightly to enable Torres to be signed and can only assume there's more 'space' available on their wage bill/structure.
Coutinho off the payroll and Umtiti's contract has been restructured in a bizarre move [considering he never plays and is unlikely to do so] that has extended it on reduced money.
They want to sign a forward but can't because they need to shift a player out. So still some heavy juggling going on there

Back