• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

Unless results take a serious dip can’t see them getting rid of Jeff. As mentioned though before very easy to sleep walk into that type of scenario

Late to the party but on Lingard:

1) He is on £100k a week and isn't taking a wage cut for anyone, why would he, especially as a free agent in six months or so

2) How are we supposed to play him as a number 10 when we unequivocally cannot play a back four

3) He's 29 in a few weeks, he has rarely if ever played as a number 10 for anyone, so how does that make any sense, and all our wide players are better than him

1) He is on £100k a week and isn't taking a wage cut for anyone, why would he, especially as a free agent in six months or so

2) How are we supposed to play him as a number 10 when we unequivocally cannot play a back four

3) He's 29 in a few weeks, he has rarely if ever played as a number 10 for anyone, so how does that make any sense, and all our wide players are better than him
Agreed. Let West Ham and Newcastle fight it out to overpay for him.

I see so much of Gibbs White in Lingard. Will have a decent career without ever really being first choice at the level they should achieve.

P.S. I do realise the irony in saying “at the level they should achieve” that Jesse and I are currently on 32 England caps between us.

To be honest I think Lingard has done very well to last as long as he has at Manchester United. He has never ever been that level of player. More a signifier of their post-Fergie decline than anything else, he wouldn't even get on the bench in a late 90s/early 00s team.

The Sanches stuff still doesn’t make sense to me. Short term injury or not, why is him coming to Wolves even on the cards?

Mendes blah blah blah, he still shouldn’t be coming anywhere near us. French league winner, champions league football, decent wages I’m sure.

Then apparently it’s us who pull the plug and make up a blatant lie as to why we do we did so. Doesn’t add up

I think they might have made a big miscalculation in how desperate Lille would be to sell with the covid, TV deal collapsing etc. They had a strategy of leave it to the last minute and they'll blink first but it blew up in their faces. That's the most likely explanation I can think of.

To be honest I think Lingard has done very well to last as long as he has at Manchester United. He has never ever been that level of player. More a signifier of their post-Fergie decline than anything else, he wouldn't even get on the bench in a late 90s/early 00s team.
Lingard could have and should have been a stalwart at a middling to biggish PL club.
Top draw [Sky 6] he’s not and that’s reflected in his start stats. I guess the United salary and adulation comes before playing - and despite everything I think myself, I get that.
International cap counts are inflated now with friendlies, multiple subs etc.

I wondered where you were when the idea of Lingard popped up :)

The Sanches stuff still doesn’t make sense to me. Short term injury or not, why is him coming to Wolves even on the cards?

Mendes blah blah blah, he still shouldn’t be coming anywhere near us. French league winner, champions league football, decent wages I’m sure.

Then apparently it’s us who pull the plug and make up a blatant lie as to why we do we did so. Doesn’t add up
I totally agree, it makes no sense at all.

His performance against Germany (i think it was Germany) in the Euros should have seen him signed up by a huge club immediately. One of the best midfield performances I've ever seen.

Watched Sanches the other night against Serbia , took his goal nicely , but other than that nothing to write home about .

He’s being linked to Arsenal and AC Milan today.

Not getting that one over the line was already a massive fuck up. When he inevitably signs for a bigger club than us, we’re (somehow) going to look even stupider. And Shi is supposed to be a businessman!

People would have been screaming fuck up if we'd signed him and he'd not played until November. Damned if you do...

People would have been screaming fuck up if we'd signed him and he'd not played until November. Damned if you do...
But he would have played before November, clearly. (his return to the Lille team was October the 3rd)

Also, even if he started playing in November, and started playing well it'd have looked like a masterstroke.

Last edited:

The only real factors in our favour are a) strong Portuguese contingent, b) he worked with Bruno before, and c) the PL is still significantly richer than most other leagues, and like it or not as part of that we're a decent shop window for the bigger clubs. In terms of player 'brands' (ugh) its also a much better spot to land, if that kind of thing concerns him.

On sporting merit no, he shouldn't be here, but nor should a number of ours who have ended up here, and we know why.

The fact it was made so public really flies in the face of previous business and in all honesty to me suggests we were not serious - it was a name to appeal and make it look like we were trying to make big moves. If that's the case (and it might not be) it will blow up in their faces if/when he goes elsewhere.

The other thing is he went to Bayern and it didn't work out, so may fancy it more at a Tier 2 side.

The only real factors in our favour are a) strong Portuguese contingent, b) he worked with Bruno before, and c) the PL is still significantly richer than most other leagues, and like it or not as part of that we're a decent shop window for the bigger clubs. In terms of player 'brands' (ugh) its also a much better spot to land, if that kind of thing concerns him.
All true but we aren’t going to pay him anymore than £100k p/w. Arsenal for example he could get near double that. We’re also not really going anywhere at the minute, backwards if anything
On sporting merit no, he shouldn't be here, but nor should a number of ours who have ended up here, and we know why.
Not so sure there’s that many. Neves probably the best example, but even still. No one else was willing to pay money for someone who couldn’t get in Porto’s team.

The fact it was made so public really flies in the face of previous business and in all honesty to me suggests we were not serious - it was a name to appeal and make it look like we were trying to make big moves. If that's the case (and it might not be) it will blow up in their faces if/when he goes elsewhere.
Wouldn’t put it past them on current evidence.

Back