• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

Next 3 weeks will tell us a lot. They’re away at a rejuvenated Arsenal between their “easy” fixtures. Then in the Christmas period they’ve got Leicester, City, Liverpool, United and Everton. Would 17 points on NYD be classed as cut adrift?
If they had that number of points I think they'd be closer to safety than they are now. I wouldn't have thought the team 4th from bottom are going to be on 22 points from 20 games

If they had that number of points I think they'd be closer to safety than they are now. I wouldn't have thought the team 4th from bottom are going to be on 22 points from 20 games
Depends if everyone keeps beating Norwich and Watford.

Many apologies. The whole “no wiggle room “ thing was clearly a total lie. There is room so if there is no spend, then it is through reluctance rather than inability. January will tell us a lot.
I don't think it will. Everyone on here knows not many major deals are done in January and you have to pay a premium which we just don't seem to want to do, the chance to splash the cash will be in the close season. We'll do something in January but I don't think it will be anything major.

As has been mentioned before I think a lot depends on where we are. You could talk yourself into us not winning another game this side of Xmas through a combination of the quality of opponents, new manager bounce at Norwich and Burnley having our number. I doubt it'll pan out like that, but if it does I think we'll be pretty active.

Proof will be in the pudding. I'm not expecting anything major no matter where we are in the table, no idea why but I just get a feeling there's going to be an end game in the financial sense. I'll never try and defend the club over the past few months, there's too much out there to question, but I still find it so difficult to believe that the same owners who got absolutely everything right over a 2/3 year period are now getting everything horribly wrong. I'm hoping that another year of mid table football that's better on the eye (in fits and starts) will enable us to go big in the summer, and I'm hoping that's the plan. Fail next summer and there's nothing left to argue.

Proof will be in the pudding. I'm not expecting anything major no matter where we are in the table, no idea why but I just get a feeling there's going to be an end game in the financial sense. I'll never try and defend the club over the past few months, there's too much out there to question, but I still find it so difficult to believe that the same owners who got absolutely everything right over a 2/3 year period are now getting everything horribly wrong. I'm hoping that another year of mid table football that's better on the eye (in fits and starts) will enable us to go big in the summer, and I'm hoping that's the plan. Fail next summer and there's nothing left to argue.
My worry is who got it right? Obviously it was Fosun's money from the investment perspective, but the majority of the better purchases were Mendes influenced when we don't really have access to his next level of calibre player. The wider PR stuff was clearly Dalrymple. Since he left we've gone from the best fan engagement I can remember to borderline sub Moxey

I expect at least one of CM or CB.

If we end up with both, great. If we end up with neither I'll be annoyed.

My worry is who got it right? Obviously it was Fosun's money from the investment perspective, but the majority of the better purchases were Mendes influenced when we don't really have access to his next level of calibre player. The wider PR stuff was clearly Dalrymple. Since he left we've gone from the best fan engagement I can remember to borderline sub Moxey
Honest answer? I don't know. The PR stuff since Dalrymple left has been a pure disaster, the people in the higher echelons of the club really have to prove their worth at the very least, and the on-the-pitch stuff is still very much up in the air with me. I can't say I know where they're heading as I'm trying to keep as positive a spin on things as possible, but the last few months really have raised more questions than answers. I'll give them til next summer, it's the last thing I can hold on to for them to prove they're serious.

Many apologies. The whole “no wiggle room “ thing was clearly a total lie. There is room so if there is no spend, then it is through reluctance rather than inability. January will tell us a lot.
If the wiggle room is already at 70m, I would be very happy for us to spend 50m on the players we need and still keep the bean counters happy. Are you reading this Mr Shi? Come on , give a us a good Chinese new year!

€7.5m from Molde to RB Salzburg at 18 and Leeds didn’t bid enough apparently.

€20m from Salzburg to Dortmund. How nobody else bid that much I’ll never know.
Barca turned down the opportunity to sign Haaland in January 2019 because he didn't fit the 'Barca DNA' They signed Kevin Prince Boateng on loan instead!

We had the jump on other clubs in the summer BECAUSE he was injured, he will go somewhere far bigger and better than us now.
It is where we are as a middling prem club. Uncle Jorge needs to do some magic this window though. The last few have sucked in the main.

If the wiggle room is already at 70m, I would be very happy for us to spend 50m on the players we need and still keep the bean counters happy. Are you reading this Mr Shi? Come on , give a us a good Chinese new year!
Wriggle room is the amount we could have spent (based on those figures) without breaching FFP rules. It would mean us running at the allowed losses for that period. It doesn't mean that we have/had £50m or £70m ready to spend or the available cashflow.

I'd prepare yourself for disappointment again in January. The accounts won't have to be published until the end of March so I doubt there will be a public statement saying that there is suddenly a pot of gold, as they would have known the 2021 results in the last transfer window and gave a totally different narrative to the fanbase.

Wriggle room is the amount we could have spent (based on those figures) without breaching FFP rules. It would mean us running at the allowed losses for that period. It doesn't mean that we have/had £50m or £70m ready to spend or the available cashflow.

I'd prepare yourself for disappointment again in January. The accounts won't have to be published until the end of March so I doubt there will be a public statement saying that there is suddenly a pot of gold, as they would have known the 2021 results in the last transfer window and gave a totally different narrative to the fanbase.
My head says you are right. It pisses me off though as so many of you who are regulars , season ticket holders etc, are getting a right shafting with the increases for what is basically a Fosun bonus package. Shi has been duplicitous I think , with his statements etc with regard to FFP. Its bollocks.

We knew all this and still bought tickets, so meh. If I wanted to make a stand about them lying, I could have done, ultimately I chose not to.

We are not spending £50m in January, won't happen.

We knew all this and still bought tickets, so meh. If I wanted to make a stand about them lying, I could have done, ultimately I chose not to.

We are not spending £50m in January, won't happen.
I'm still pissed off at the club over that fat fucking pile of shit lying to us all.

The transfer business was also a spoof and easily exposed lie

I buy tickets to watch Wolves, those people who own and run the club are transient. Sadly the people we have there now are cunts.

I hope Fosun bin Jeff and put somebody competent in charge.

Last edited:
Back