• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

I think he's worth keeping even if we buy more CBs and phase him out.

Reactions: jlo
I don’t think we are wealthy enough to phase out players and have a £20m+ asset depreciate. If he isn’t good enough to play in a four - and there’s plenty of evidence to suggest he isn’t - sell and get someone in who is. If Newcastle want him in January his value will be at a peak.

I
I'd be happy to let Coady go AFTER signing at least 1 and probably 2 centre halves in January. I think most of us want to play 4 at the back, but is there 1 player you'd be sure could handle it? I can think of a reason to doubt every one of them from recent injury record, to switching off, to never actually played there.

If we handled the negotiation correctly we'd get more than £20m, not because he's worth it but because it's Newcastle and they'll pay what they have t
if Boly could stay fit I’d actually be tempted to give him and Kilman a run together in a back four. For Various reasons that won’t happen though, including that it would be quite a risk.

the Coady thing is interesting. I think at 20-25m we’d accept as I his value isn’t going to increase beyond this point.

Sell Coady for 20 million then realise you need to spend over that to get in another three... Bingo.

It'll be sell coady for £20 million, then not be able to get anyone in, because jeffs gone all like he's spending his own money, and there's 2 other players that can do the job, so we don't need anyone else, then Jan 31st say we had a good window

It'll be sell coady for £20 million, then not be able to get anyone in, because jeffs gone all like he's spending his own money, and there's 2 other players that can do the job, so we don't need anyone else, then Jan 31st say we had a good window
Yeah and the inevitable Spiers tweet around 6pm saying there aren't expecting any more incomings, and they are happy with what they've got, even though they haven't got anything.

20 million for an England International, 1st team player and captain in January with the linked club having very rich owners?

20 million would be terrible business!

Should never even contemplate selling until we've brought in better and they have pushed him down the pecking order, although that narrative would mean we'd get a bag of salted popcorn for him.

We absolutely shouldn't be selling our captain and first choice CB regardless of who else we bring in.

We absolutely shouldn't be selling our captain and first choice CB regardless of who else we bring in.
I'd say our first choice CB is Kilman. There is only one position Coady can play and that's middle CB / sweeper

I'd say our first choice CB is Kilman. There is only one position Coady can play and that's middle CB / sweeper
You can say that but you'd be wrong. He's the first name on the team sheet and has been since Nuno converted him.

That's not to say he's our best defender, but his place is uncontested.

I don't want to sell Coady, purely because we're fucking terrible at recruitment, and even if we got £30m for him, we'd end up trying to replace him for £15m and ending up with somebody just as/even more limited but without the unmeasurable benefits that he brings to the table.

Botman seems to be the silver bullet a lot of fans have landed on. But I doubt many of them have seen him play at all, and if we wouldn't pay for him in August, why would we in January especially as we don't look very likely to be in any kind of danger of relegation?

Sell Coady in January with Boly and Saiss going to AFCON? Not even if we didn't have 50p in the pot for a cuppa...

I would be extremely worried if we lost Coady's leadership. If I was going to mark any player on our team as "unsellable", it would be him.

He has a role at the club for long as he wants one, IMO (albeit not necessarily as a bona fide starter).

This. We keep hearing about our threadbare squad, so selling a player to buy a player just means you are going round in circles. The quality of player may improve but the squad remains as threadbare as before.

We need to start adding players rather than just replacing them

Coady is as responsible as anyone else at Wolves for our progress over the last five years and, in my opinion, his contribution on the pitch isn’t given the credit it deserves.

Ok, he’s not VVD but he’s a beautiful passer of the ball and loads of our attacks/goals have come through him. He’s not the quickest but runs through brick walls for us and has the heart of a lion - puts his head where most wouldn’t put their boots.

On a day where I watched Man Utd surrender under Harry McGuire’s pathetic leadership, I’m very grateful for Coady and every

He epitomises everything that’s made our club something to be proud of over the last few years.

He’s also a regular in the England squad - we need to be careful what we wish for.

Back