• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

He isn't good enough to play in a four or Nuno would've stuck at it last season.
The biggest reason why we didn't play with a 4 more last season was Raul's absence.

I think Coady would be fine in a 4 with the right partner.

The biggest reason why we didn't play with a 4 more last season was Raul's absence.

I think Coady would be fine in a 4 with the right partner.
I don't see how you can make that link. Raul was playing on his own up top for the best part of a season given Nuno moved to 3-4-3.

Moving to a 4 at the back wouldn't really affect what you pay up top as we could've gone 4-3-3 but when we did it was atrocious as Boly and Coady were terrible.

Coady really doesn't have the attributes to play at CB, doesn't read the game particularly well, not great in the air, can't mark and is rubbish 1v1.

I'd be happy to have Coady here in a similar role to the one he has at England. Bit of a cheerleader and great for squad morale, but only used on the field against inferior opposition or back up to better players.

That said, IF someone offered a good amount of cash for him (probably £30m+), I'd be extremely tempted to cash in. I don't see anyone offering that much for someone who struggles outside of a very specific role, mind - but then again - Spurs signed Matt Doherty and played him at RB in a back 4, so anything is possible.

FWIW I love Coady hes my captain and he embodies the journey the club has been on in the last five years but thst doesn't blind me to his limitations.

If Newcastle came in for Coady we shouldn't be accepting anywhere near 20m.

- Club Captain
- Inner circle with England
- First choice
- Consistent performer, missed one league game 3 and some seasons

The fee should be on a sliding scale which increases the lower Newcastle's league position. We must absolutely be taking advantage of their owners desperation to keep them in the league.

We also want to be testing to see if their owners have any idea on value of Premier League players.

Add 10% of whatever fee for the January premium.

Of course, this relies on not having a fucking charlatan negotiating on our end.

I feel bad whenever I criticise him, because as a man, leader and figurehead he's top class and a credit to both himself and the club, but if you think he can play centre half in a back four for a club with top half aspirations then you aren't watching closely enough. Ball watching and a failure to recognise danger being the biggest issues

Sell him, sign Botman, go 4231 boom Champions League. We've probably missed the boat with Botman but any decent CB who could play in a 4 would do.

I'm not against signing Botman but has anyone actually seen him play regularly? Genuine question, not a whinge

I don't see how you can make that link. Raul was playing on his own up top for the best part of a season given Nuno moved to 3-4-3.

Moving to a 4 at the back wouldn't really affect what you pay up top as we could've gone 4-3-3 but when we did it was atrocious as Boly and Coady were terrible.

Coady really doesn't have the attributes to play at CB, doesn't read the game particularly well, not great in the air, can't mark and is rubbish 1v1.
I don't really see how you can say otherwise, Wolves were playing 4 at the back with Nuno until Raul got injured, Raul with Adama, Neto and Podence behind him at Arsenal.

Fabio's inability to play as a lone striker was a huge part of why we went back to 343, at least, that's how i remember it. We could create chances, but couldn't score them, so were losing by narrow margins, which made being tighter at the back more important thus the change, that's what made us so miserable to watch.

Last edited:
I don't really see how you can say otherwise, Wolves were playing 4 at the back with Nuno until Raul got injured, Raul with Adama, Neto and Podence behind him at Arsenal.

Fabio's inability to play as a lone striker was a huge part of why we went back to 343, at least, that's how i remember it. We could create chances, but couldn't score them, so were losing by narrow margins, which made being tighter at the back more important thus the change, that's what made us so miserable to watch.
You honestly can't see that Coady would be a bad defender in a four having seen him being a bad defender in a four?

Edit: we'd only played one game before Arsenal with 4-4-2.

Last edited:
You honestly can't see that Coady would be a bad defender in a four having seen him being a bad defender in a four?

Edit: we'd only played one game before Arsenal with 4-4-2.
I think he could be fine in a back four with the right partner, i certainly don't think "there is plenty of evidence" to suggest he wouldn't be (as WW said), there is very little evidence, how many games has he played there? How many games has he played there with a correctly set up midfield and striker?

I also think that because his influence as a leader isn't tangible to us as fans, that its importance is hugely underestimated.

Coady is a player who has to play at 9 or 10/10 to get any praise, but any slight mistake is pilloried, people get bored of players in the same way they get bored of managers.

I thought he had an excellent game on Saturday.

I wouldn't sell him because a) I don't trust us to use the money properly and b) there are too many intangibles involved, in a situation where we already have a thin squad. I could see our owners (not board, we effectively don't have a board) being tempted though. Free money to them.

I'm not sure why more isn't made of our more or less £0 net spend since 2019, it's very strange. Particularly when you consider all the shitty "where's the money gone" nonsense 10/15/20 years ago when it was evidently clear where it had gone.

I think he could be fine in a back four with the right partner, i certainly don't think "there is plenty of evidence" to suggest he wouldn't be (as WW said), there is very little evidence, how many games has he played there? How many games has he played there with a correctly set up midfield and striker?

I also think that because his influence as a leader isn't tangible to us as fans, that its importance is hugely underestimated.

Coady is a player who has to play at 9 or 10/10 to get any praise, but any slight mistake is pilloried, people get bored of players in the same way they get bored of managers.
I'm not bored of Coady, I see his limitations and I'm surprised you can't.

I wouldn’t sell him. Not unless the money was stupid. I’d want to see evidence of actual replacements who are proven here first.

As for his ability. I’m torn really. He’s slow, not good in the air, rubbish 1v1 and not strong. These aren’t good attributes for any defender. But he has had good games in a 4 for us, and obviously his captaincy, organisation and distribution are very useful for us. It’s hard to know exactly how useful they are though as he’s never really not played, and that’s not going to change.

I thought he had an excellent game on Saturday.

I wouldn't sell him because a) I don't trust us to use the money properly and b) there are too many intangibles involved, in a situation where we already have a thin squad. I could see our owners (not board, we effectively don't have a board) being tempted though. Free money to them.

I'm not sure why more isn't made of our more or less £0 net spend since 2019, it's very strange. Particularly when you consider all the shitty "where's the money gone" nonsense 10/15/20 years ago when it was evidently clear where it had gone.
Sadly, I think you're right. I don't trust Jeff and Fosun at all right now.

It’s really, really strange. And hasn’t been properly explained by anyone

Well when the accounts are published end of Feb and we post the profit im expecting then hopefully Spiers or whoever actually asks some questions. Particularly when they’ve already admitted FFP wasn’t a factor this summer.

It’s really, really strange. And hasn’t been properly explained by anyone
UEFA FFP was thrown out, accepted by the media and a significant portion of the fanbase. Once that was debunked it seems to be Covid. All a bit strange as our fans need to pay more because we are so far behind other clubs commercially, yet the lack of the meagre amount we pay for a season and 1/5 is the same reason our budget is now restricted.. Go figure

Back