• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

I don't think this is true. Wolves are a multi million pounds company but Jeff is the CEO and had been trusted by Guo to be in charge of wolves.

I can't imagine a billionaire who has huge amount of investments and companies has time to vet every purchase in all of them.
Not so much that. More that post-2019 Fosun have a budget for Wolves and that doesn't include spending north of £25m on a relatively unproven centre half. Jeff doesn't decide that.

Not so much that. More that post-2019 Fosun have a budget for Wolves and that doesn't include spending north of £25m on a relatively unproven centre half. Jeff doesn't decide that.
I don't think its so much post 2019, more that we have an investment ceiling, they are maturing us without having to put unnecessary funds onto their investment for reduced/little reward

Fosuns experiment/project is essentially fixing/rigging the market on their investment through having access to Jorge Mendes, essentially an unfair advantage over other investors. Don't get me wrong, the side effect of this has been great for us as football fans, but there is a reality check. They aren't philanthropists, they are a business conglomerate who have invested capital with an expectation of return.

Shi is managing an investment before running a football club

Oh, don't get me wrong mate. I've never had any illusions that they'd bankroll us forever.

Just trying to move the debate away from "Jeff is shit and if we replace him everything will be fine". He's making very few unilateral decisions on his own.

When you put it that way it doesn't sound all that bad. Just the spin from the club has been about the worst they could possibly muster.

Well, we know the situation there. We owed someone a drink for getting us Boly, Neves and Jota as a Championship club.

Even with that fee we've had a net spend of £0 for ages.

I agree with that. As Newbridge says they're just managing an investment, however Shi's doing it badly imo.

Wrong exec team in charge and bad player investments isn't looking after your budget very well.

If we did replace Jeff I think we'd be a lot better off.

You'd only replace him in-house though.

We won't ever have a proper CEO/DoF who is hands on and operates independently of Fosun as a whole.

We won't ever have a proper CEO/DoF who is hands on and operates independently of Fosun as a whole.
I think the CEO will always be Chinese but the internal staff could change significantly and Fosun are pretty ruthless by all accounts.

Oh, don't get me wrong mate. I've never had any illusions that they'd bankroll us forever.

Just trying to move the debate away from "Jeff is shit and if we replace him everything will be fine". He's making very few unilateral decisions on his own.
I know, Jeff is doing an excellent job, from a certain point of view, and that's the view who are employing him.

I'm disappointed that when it's come to it we've been pretty shoddily dealt with as fans, but hey ho. I am on a downer with the club, as it seems investment has stalled, but I do enjoy the fact that we are well above any position I am used to in my wolves supporting lifetime, just wish we could bloody well win something.

No reason a DoF couldn't operate to a budget and investment plan. Not completely independent but they could make the decisions on which players we invest in.The criteria could include operating within a salary budget and predicted resale values.

I don't think this is true. Wolves are a multi million pounds company but Jeff is the CEO and had been trusted by Guo to be in charge of wolves.

I can't imagine a billionaire who has huge amount of investments and companies has time to vet every purchase in all of them.
Guo won't necessarily approve wolves investment personally but there will be an head office board that will Investments above a certain level will go to that board I really can't see Shi signing cheques for tens of millions without head office approval

Guo won't necessarily approve wolves investment personally but there will be an head office board that will Investments above a certain level will go to that board I really can't see Shi signing cheques for tens of millions without head office approval
I think you’re wrong here. Wolves are a business with agreed budgets and not a branch of a larger business. Shi as CEO will have autonomy over that.

I think you’re wrong here. Wolves are a business with agreed budgets and not a branch of a larger business. Shi as CEO will have autonomy over that.
Exactly. The parent company may well give an over arching set of principles but it’s shi who is charged with delivering and as such has the say. So he gets the pellets for the last three windows and rightly so .

If you are right and I don't think you are how come Shi is still in a job after spunking 65 million on Silva and Semedo

If you are right and I don't think you are how come Shi is still in a job after spunking 65 million on Silva and Semedo
Because it doesn't work like that, if every CEO was ousted purely for some ill advised decisions there would be very few companies left, Fosun will purely be looking at bottom line figures or as Jonny said any pre decided performance figures, fail either of those regularly and he will be gone, but as he hasn't, or isn't, he is quite safe.

I think it's fair to say Guo isn't sat in his mansion in China, ruminating over whether £30m was a wise investment in Nelson Semedo or not.
I'd be surprised if his interest extends beyond what's the balance sheet look like and are we still in the PL

Back