• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

January 2022 Transfer Thread

I think it's fair to say Guo isn't sat in his mansion in China, ruminating over whether £30m was a wise investment in Nelson Semedo or not.
I'd be surprised if his interest extends beyond what's the balance sheet look like and are we still in the PL
to be fair, I think he is a little more invested than that. Guo also promoted sharing medical supplies and PPE to wolverhampton early in 2020.

To know whether Jeff is successful or not really depends on what Fosun want him to achieve.

I suspect they care more about the wolves brand than whether we sign a CB.

To know whether Jeff is successful or not really depends on what Fosun want him to achieve.

I suspect they care more about the wolves brand than whether we sign a CB.
The Wolves 'brand' only thrives if the football team are doing well on the pitch - so the two go hand in hand.

If Shi is not capable of managing all areas/departments required in making Wolverhampton Wanderers FC a successful business AND football team, then get someone in who is, or put Shi in charge of a specific area that he's good at, and let someone else take over the football side (transfers and everything else in between).

The Wolves 'brand' only thrives if the football team are doing well on the pitch - so the two go hand in hand.

If Shi is not capable of managing all areas/departments required in making Wolverhampton Wanderers FC a successful business AND football team, then get someone in who is, or put Shi in charge of a specific area that he's good at, and let someone else take over the football side (transfers and everything else in between).
Define successful?

Retaining a Premier League place on a minimal outlay is probably his target each season.
I'd be inclined to agree, it's difficult to see what advantage say an 8th placed finish over a 17th placed finish gives Fosun.

I'd be inclined to agree, it's difficult to see what advantage say an 8th placed finish over a 17th placed finish gives Fosun.
Those extra millions on the spreadsheet would look very good to them !

I'd extend it a bit further to being comfortable. I think if we were relying on the last game or so there'd be serious questions to answer, because that starts to threaten their investment, but a future of 13th's they'd be fine with

Define successful?
Well the Wolves "brand" is going to be a hard sell if we're knocking around in the middle of the championship. I know we're relatively safe at the moment on that front, but the post i replied to indicated Shi's role will be more bothered about the brand than the football team.

Well the Wolves "brand" is going to be a hard sell if we're knocking around in the middle of the championship. I know we're relatively safe at the moment on that front, but the post i replied to indicated Shi's role will be more bothered about the brand than the football team.
The brand exposure and being in the Premier League go hand in hand tbf.

There's a huge difference between not signing a CB and getting relegated. The narrative on this thread has brought out what I was thinking anyway.

I do agree with you, relegation would set alarm bells ringing. As Jonny said, provided we're comfortable in the PL I don't think Fosun really care. They won't see a failure to sign a CB / CM as some kind of cataclysmic event the way we will, unless if results in relegation!

As long as we tick over in premier league mid table, Jeff will stick to the long pockets short arms model of funding, if there's a chance of relegation fosun will chuck a bit of money at us.
Didn't somebody share fosuns end of year company results on here once? In that wolves got two mentions, one was in the company's involved in the leisure side of fosun portfolio, second was a footnote explaining we are a football club, I'd say we are low down on fosuns list of importance

I have to say that the person I am most disappointed in is Darlo - 42 pages of his thread, and not a whiff of a signing as yet -Darlo out!

If you were looking at Wolves from afar you'd have to conclude that whoever running it was doing a good job.

Promotion ahead of schedule, two seventh place finishes for a newly promoted team, good run in Europe, followed by 13th during a pandemic when the star striker nearly dies. Now approaching the half way point of this season and sitting in 8th.

Plus probably added about £250m to the value of the club.

Exactly. The parent company may well give an over arching set of principles but it’s shi who is charged with delivering and as such has the say. So he gets the pellets for the last three windows and rightly so .

Exactly. The parent company may well give an over arching set of principles but it’s shi who is charged with delivering and as such has the say. So he gets the pellets for the last three windows and rightly so .
So to be clear you think that shi chairman of a 150 million turnover business has the sole authority to commit the club to the 65 million purchase of Silva and Semedo as long as the purchases confirm to some over arching set of principles?

As long as we tick over in premier league mid table, Jeff will stick to the long pockets short arms model of funding, if there's a chance of relegation fosun will chuck a bit of money at us.
For the bolded part, and putting on a neutral head for a moment, I'm struggling to see an argument against that approach. Fosun have probably realised that they can keep their PL status and turn a profit while achieving "consistent" mid table finishes*. I'm also struggling to think of another club that can boast a rolling zero net spend and hardly ever flirting with relegation, so their approach is obviously achieving things others can't. Or won't. It's been stated on here multiple times that Fosun have probably realised that to break the top four would require investment of astronomical amounts and they're not prepared to do that. Yet.

As for them chucking money at us if we flirt with relegation, they have two opportunities to stop that happening, summer and January. If we looked OK in January but then hit some bad injury crisis with a poor run of form then they can't throw their money anywhere to save it so I don't think that's their philosophy. I'm pretty sure someone within the club (rightly or wrongly, mostly wrongly at the moment) is reporting back that the squad is more than capable of challenging in the PL. No alarm bells will be going off at HQ. They questioned Nuno and got rid, I think that where we are and the way we're operating is 100% by design and they won't knee jerk to anything.

*We've achieved nothing so far this season but we don't look in any danger of troubling the bottom half yet and the relegation places look mostly sewn up. Next season is another thing altogether.

I have to say that the person I am most disappointed in is Darlo - 42 pages of his thread, and not a whiff of a signing as yet -Darlo out!
Harsh man! I'm only doing what Jeff told me to do

Fosun recently published their Interim Financial report for the six months ending 30 June 2021. They made a profit of around £482 million which include a loss in the "Happiness" division of around £139 million. Fosun Sports is part of the "Happiness" division.

The 100 page report doesn't include the words "Wolves", "Wolverhampton", "Wanderers", "football" or "Shi" in the text.
Fosun Sports Group is mentioned once in the text.

Wolves(UK) is still included in a chart showing subsidiaries.

It seems to me that what ever happens at Wolves in the short-term will have absolutely no impact on Fosun financially. If Wolves got relegated, it wouldn't impact the share price. It's hard to see any protests about Wolves having any effect on Fosun's actions unless it causes Guo Changchang to be personally embarrassed.

I would have imagined Club Med and Thomas Cook were more of a pressing concern for the six months ending 30 June 2021?

Back