• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leeds (A) - verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Podence had been millimetres further back, it would be even more celebratory. We can only judge on the performance and result that we actually got.
I see performance and result as two different things.

I suppose the sign of a good team is getting results when the performances aren't great

No doubt more people would bemoan the VAR call if it had finished 0-0! (The decision was correct though, frustratingly...)

We'll see about that when one of the top 6 get a ball cleared, score from it and it's classed as a 2nd phase of play.

I see performance and result as two different things.

I suppose the sign of a good team is getting results when the performances aren't great

On that second half performance alone we deserved to win the game. If Jimenez's shot hadn't gone in I'm fairly sure we'd have scored anyway as we were well on top.

But much like your what if we will never know.

It was purely by design as is always with Nuno. Carry on like that though and he might be gone by Christmas apparently.
I think you're over-egging the 'Nuno is a genius and everything is part of his plan' line a bit here based on the result.

I don't think Nuno wanted us to essentially gift the first half to them, if so it's pretty stupid and risky. He deserves plaudits for the second half gear shift though.

I think you're over-egging the 'Nuno is a genius and everything is part of his plan' line a bit here based on the result.

I don't think Nuno wanted us to essentially gift the first half to them, if so it's pretty stupid and risky. He deserves plaudits for the second half gear shift though.
He got the shape wrong to start with but quickly corrected it fortunately! I was worried he would wait longer but he acted quickly as they were absolutely killing us in wide areas.

an ugly one nil win is still a win. A fantastic performance and a 1-0 defeat is still a loss. I think it is right to call it as we see it and yesterday we rode it out first half and played much better second half and because of that created opportunities to shoot and ultimately nick the points. It was for me a defensive performance and a very good one but it was not a great watch first half , again..

an ugly one nil win is still a win. A fantastic performance and a 1-0 defeat is still a loss. I think it is right to call it as we see it and yesterday we rode it out first half and played much better second half and because of that created opportunities to shoot and ultimately nick the points. It was for me a defensive performance and a very good one but it was not a great watch first half , again..
It also has to be fair to say that hardly any teams out there (in the prem at least) completely dominate a game for the whole 90mins.

If the poor patch had have been say split more evenly (say 20mins at the start and 25 mins at the end) would people be making as much of a deal of it.

Yes we didn't play well for 45 mins of a 90+min game but we still did our job and didn't concede.

The neutrals (Sky etc) seem to consider that a positive, our players (Coady & Moutinho interviews post game) agree, our manager seems to agree. Not sure if its because everyones sitting at home now and not at games but fans seem to be over analysing games for me.

That's exactly how to play against Leeds. Stay in the game, defend well and then if you can play one touch/two touch around their man to man system like we did in the 2nd half then you'll get chances to score.

Game plan (almost) perfectly executed.

Yes I also watched without the fake noise (its shit and just adds to the unreality of the football) and in second half it was clear Coady was pushing them all forward. Both Kilman and Boly (and Coady at one point) did it. Interesting for both goals that they came from a CB in the second half passing the ball to a forward. More of that is needed if this system works - both Coady & Kilman are good passers, but more improtantly have the ability to give themselves space.

It's absolutely part of the new system I think - Manchester City do similar and it enables you to dominate the ball and push teams up, you just have to have the know-how to reorganise and not get caught on the break.

I thought we got schooled for most of the first half tbh. Both Moutinho and Donck couldn't get anywhere near the ball. It was kinda like us v man city at the eithad last year, only we looked less composed.
For all that, threatening as Leeds looked, Rui was again on top class form. His positioning is SO FUCKING GOOD. He is becoming my fave player at the moment.

At half time I wanted Neves to come on for Moutinho, and for us to move further up the pitch. I got half my wish.

Kilman was fantastic, and Boly was very impressive too.
Podence and Neto are both more likely to shoot, and Nuno is looking to use them to increase our attempts on goal I feel.

I thought Semedo looked ok last night. Some glimpses of proper quality, especially his control, and going forwards. He wasn't worrying me at all, and we know he is likely to get better as the season goes on.

Leeds fans must be really enjoying their football. Similar experience to us winning the champ and getting promoted, albeit with a completely different style of play.

I was also pleased to see Costa have a good and influential impact on the game, even if he is an opposition player.

Reactions: b3h
We'll see about that when one of the top 6 get a ball cleared, score from it and it's classed as a 2nd phase of play.
They didn't clear it, it was absolutely the right decision. Podence didn't need to be offside.

Costa had a good game last night, he seems to have reverted back to the player who earned him all of the plaudits here. I'm still not convinced he has any greater heights than playing for a newly promoted side though - if I were Bielsa I'd be looking to replace.

They're a couple of good forward players away from being a damn good team.

For all that, threatening as Leeds looked, Rui was again on top class form. His positioning is SO FUCKING GOOD. He is becoming my fave player at the moment.
He just gets better and better, so pivotal for us

One thing I have seen mentioned is the result downplayed somewhat because 'it was against a newly promoted team'. I think that's being very disrespectful to Leeds, and also - we should know how disrespectful that sounds. I'm sure many of our fans would have taken umbrage with other sides saying that about us 2 years ago.

3 points against a side who got a draw with Man City and almost got something at Anfield is not something to scoff at. They're useful.

I can't see Leeds being anywhere near the relegation zone this season, unless they have a massive injury crisis due to burning all their players out through over-intensity.

They've played at that intensity for a couple of years now. They'll be used to it. As has been mentioned, they didn't tire last night.

They're useful. Bossed us for the first 45 mins. They will hammer some other teams. They're pretty good to watch. Potentially suspect defensively.

But for the good fortune on Wolves' goal, the initial slip by the defender to allow Jimenez to get onto the long ball forward and then the deflection on his very tame shot, it looked pretty set for a 0-0 as neither team really created any clear cut chances. Not seen any stats for it anywhere but I would imagine xG would be pretty close and fairly low for both sides too.

Leeds started the game very brightly, some of their movement off the ball and the interplay it facilitates is lovely but Wolves back three were resilient enough to oppose the openings it created. They were causing plenty of problems but perhaps somewhat unsurprisingly a Premier League side with Bamford as a lone forward looks a little blunt at the business end, they don't really have any one individual that I thought stood out as being particularly threatening but they work so well as a team, if they can add a bit more quality in key areas they'll be a real threat.

Good to see Wolves raise their game in the second half, struggling to really string any passes together in the first period but had a bit more composure about them after the break, people taking a little more time on the ball to find a simple pass or attempt to beat their man so they could pull Leeds around a bit and create some openings. Thought Traore may have been a bigger threat after his introduction but he didn't really see much of the ball to be fair to him.

Stayed in the game, got a bit of luck to get ahead and then saw it out, something to build on in the second half performance going forwards.

It also has to be fair to say that hardly any teams out there (in the prem at least) completely dominate a game for the whole 90mins.

If the poor patch had have been say split more evenly (say 20mins at the start and 25 mins at the end) would people be making as much of a deal of it.

Yes we didn't play well for 45 mins of a 90+min game but we still did our job and didn't concede.
I think much of it is because we frequently dont turn up in the first half and haven't done for nearly two seasons, Sheffield united being the exception. We haven't bossed a first half for a long while. In boxing terms its like we adopt a cautious first five rounds being content to lose a point each round knowing that we only need one blow for a knockout. Its a risky strategy.

I think much of it is because we frequently dont turn up in the first half and haven't done for nearly two seasons, Sheffield united being the exception. We haven't bossed a first half for a long while. In boxing terms its like we adopt a cautious first five rounds being content to lose a point each round knowing that we only need one blow for a knockout. Its a risky strategy.
Being content to soak pressure up & conserve energy is not the same as not turning up. I'm sure Nuno would like us to score more in the 1st half (he said so after the match yesterday), but its a clear plan to ensure we finish stronger than the opposition. And it works.

Let's put a lid on this first half masterplan talk before it becomes the narrative please...

Finishing stronger and conserving energy is fine, but most of the first half we looked like a team of strangers whenever we had the ball, no need to re-write history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back