• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Leicester 1-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Well considering there are three centre halves welded to the half way line under Vardy's watching brief an extra two men on Traore would merely restore the balance of numbers across the pitch.

This doubling up thing doesn't suddenly grant someone a free pass elsewhere like people often seem to intimate, particularly when you've got it happening on someone in an isolated position like the wing.
I didn't suggest it did, just pointed out that playing Adama to occupy 2 players won't solve anything.

Ultimately, last season, we were at our most effective when we managed to get him on the ball. Given our 2 current WFs aren't pulling up trees its worth a try.

All they're having to do is send two blokes out to box him in towards the corner flag. So he can't cross properly from there, and we can't even recycle possession effectively from that position.
Agree with that - they’re sending him down an ever closing space ending with the corner flag, it’s the only way to nullify him and doesn’t require tactical genius.
We need to be able to get him running inside where he’s really effective, I agree with the views previously of either starting him on the left so he can run centrally or just starting him centrally.

He can still put good crosses in from those positions but we're constantly outnumbered in the box. There was a point Sunday when he beat both of his markers, but Raul wasn't in the frame at all. Even after Leicester headed the ball out, he still wasn't anywhere near the box. It was bizarre.

All they're having to do is send two blokes out to box him in towards the corner flag. So he can't cross properly from there, and we can't even recycle possession effectively from that position.
It's an easy position to isolate someone, Maddison did a really honest job of it as soon as Traore came on, dropped in and helped the wingback out on that side. Beats Maddison easily straight away but then if the wingback gets his positioning right he just funnels him away down the line afterwards. Doesn't help that Traore being so wide also completely negates Semedo's involvement in those situations so it always becomes 2v1 in the opposition's favour.
I didn't suggest it did, just pointed out that playing Adama to occupy 2 players won't solve anything.

Ultimately, last season, we were at our most effective when we managed to get him on the ball. Given our 2 current WFs aren't pulling up trees its worth a try.
I don't think a change of personnel is going to make massive difference one way or another to be honest.

Traore certainly has more about him as an individual to create something out of nothing when things aren't clicking as a team but as we've seen a lot since lockdown, it's not always going to pay dividends. He did alright when he came on against Leicester, ran at them at every opportunity and managed to get a few crosses in or win a corner but that doesn't really get you anywhere better off than what Neto or Podence were managing before him, the team just isn't setup to make the most of what he was managing to dig out.

I think given a start Traore may look a bit more effective than Neto or Podence as things stand but I don't expect to make any real difference to the team as a whole, that's where the failing is in my eyes, the shape is wrong, players that need to be closer together are spread too far apart and as long as that continues I don't think it really matters whether it's Traore, Neto or Podence lining up on the pitch.

God I wish there was a proper multi-quote function.

Yep. may as well get used to the idea of playing Brentford and Preston next season !
No, I'm not suggesting we will get relegated. Like every rational poster on this Forum I am saying that an xG of 3.12 in eight periods of 45 minutes is nowhere near good enough

No one is disputing its not great but on the same token it is NOT "bloody dreadful" or would you and the rest of your 'rational' friends swap this season for last year. what was we on, a point a game at this point?

No one is disputing its not great but on the same token it is NOT "bloody dreadful" or would you and the rest of your 'rational' friends swap this season for last year. what was we on, a point a game at this point?
For a team aiming for a top 6 finish, it is “bloody dreadful”.

Will they give us some extra points if we have a better xG ? because the difference between expected and actual can be quite significant.
That stat is for first halves, if the rest of the seasons games were only 45 minutes I'd be joining you in the panic room.
We're 9th, If it wasn't for the worlds most dubious penalty we'd be 6th, so right on track, it's not the end of days, not by a long shot!

Will they give us some extra points if we have a better xG ? because the difference between expected and actual can be quite significant.
That stat is for first halves, if the rest of the seasons games were only 45 minutes I'd be joining you in the panic room.
We're 9th, If it wasn't for the worlds most dubious penalty we'd be 6th, so right on track, it's not the end of days, not by a long shot!
And Rui saved a stonewaller

And Scmeichel pulled off a world class save.

Why can you only be rational if you think we're bloody dreadful?

Seems the opposite of rational to me.

And Scmeichel pulled off a world class save.

Why can you only be rational if you think we're bloody dreadful?

Seems the opposite of rational to me.
We had two shots on target. That's the problem. Nothing to do with being rational. We conceded two penalties. You don't win games with our XG conceding two penalties. It really isn't rocket science. We can't outscore one goal at the moment.

I quite like this Schrödinger's Wolves where we're simultaneously absolutely fucking wank who drive our fans to complete despair and yet also the best team that most of our fanbase have ever seen by an absolute mile.

We just played a team who are top of the league, won the league not so long ago, are in Europe this season and by common consensus deserved a draw out of it. We didn't, that's how it goes sometimes. Youse lot have got no chill.

I quite like this Schrödinger's Wolves where we're simultaneously absolutely fucking wank who drive our fans to complete despair and yet also the best team that most of our fanbase have ever seen by an absolute mile.

We just played a team who are top of the league, won the league not so long ago, are in Europe this season and by common consensus deserved a draw out of it. We didn't, that's how it goes sometimes. Youse lot have got no chill.
Completely missing the point.

If we convert one chance in three, create two shots on target yet concede two penalties the likelihood is we lose. Regardless of where the opposition is or how good they are. We have consistently failed to create enough chances in 2020. To suggest otherwise is crackers.

To suggest otherwise is crackers.
And there's your problem.

Why can't you acknowledge that other people don't agree with you? It's not a crackers point of view to say we should've got a draw on Sunday whilst at the same time saying it wasn't right tactically. Currently our chances created aren't great in both halves and that has to improve. Nobody disputes this but we're not going to lose every game if we don't as the league has shown so far.

On another day the first penalty isn't given, Rui saves the second and Neves shot goes in.

The first half was atrocious and nobody has said otherwise, the second better but disjointed. We aren't going to win every game, nobody does and to think so really is crackers.

And there's your problem.

Why can't you acknowledge that other people don't agree with you? It's not a crackers point of view to say we should've got a draw on Sunday whilst at the same time saying it wasn't right tactically. Currently our chances created aren't great in both halves and that has to improve. Nobody disputes this but we're not going to lose every game if we don't as the league has shown so far.

On another day the first penalty isn't given, Rui saves the second and Neves shot goes in.

The first half was atrocious and nobody has said otherwise, the second better but disjointed. We aren't going to win every game, nobody does and to think so really is crackers.
We are going to lose plenty with two shots on target or less

See arsenal Sheffield united, Chelsea, west Ham, Sevilla and that's since lock down. Its not about losing. Its how we lose.

You should know well enough I could not care less about being in a majority view or people agreeing. I just find the number of posters on here with the keep the faith we will be fine attitude puzzling when we look powderpuff in attack.

I can't miss the point if I don't know what it is.

Are we really good and underperforming or a bit shit and playing like shit? Because it can't be both.

Not that I think we've been anything like as bad as people suggest. First half was woeful on Sunday but we're still in the game (I accept that isn't a palatable strategy on the whole), second half we played well and should have got something.

Last time I checked in the previous game we dominated the opposition for 90 minutes.

I can't miss the point if I don't know what it is.

Are we really good and underperforming or a bit shit and playing like shit? Because it can't be both.

Not that I think we've been anything like as bad as people suggest. First half was woeful on Sunday but we're still in the game (I accept that isn't a palatable strategy on the whole), second half we played well and should have got something.

Last time I checked in the previous game we dominated the opposition for 90 minutes.
Christ this is hard work.

Let me simplify it just for clarity.

Last season we averaged around Five shots on target per game. This season its under four so far. So we are 25% down. That reflects in our goals scored. We gave Leicester a stonewall penalty and Var gave another. Our xg was not enough to get us back into the game regardless of the miss. We needed to create at least two more efforts for a point. We didn't. We lost. If we do the same against any premier team we are also likely to lose. Its really not hard to understand yet some of you just, well can't.

Back