• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
when in the calendar can you play them then? Pretty much the schedule you get at tournaments
Maybe don't pop a World Cup in November.

I know why there are 4 games now but the reason behind it are a load of bollocks

Last edited:
The nations league is shite in general. They're just friendly games nobody cares about. Players playing this basically get 3 weeks break before pre season starts.
It means very little to the top teams but it's very valuable to those lower down the pecking order. Miles better than what used to be on offer for them.

Maybe don't pop a World Cup in November.

I know why there are 4 games now but the reason behind I are a load of bollocks

What’s better then meaningless friendly matches? Oh and if we come bottom next time you can enjoy meaningless games v Bosnia, Romania and Finland

What’s better then meaningless friendly matches?
A couple of warm up matches followed by a World Cup for me Jeff. Players will at least want to try in those games

Instead we have to fit in 2 x international window set of fixtures because one of them for later in the year can't be used. But some very rich people got richer so all is good.

Boy howdy, Scotland are terrible.
They were, was at the game and you got the impression that one team was on the beach and the other was playing for their managers future, only going to be one winner.
When you get a sequence of play where James McClean skins the full back gets to the bye line put over a peace of a cross, where Scott Hogan then climbs highest to meet it with a perfect header which flies past the keeper but is cleared off the line by an acrobatic Grant Hanley clearance you wonder if you have dropped into a parallel universe either that or been smoking something you shouldn't.

Between championships you’ve got 9 international windows, 5 of them are only qualification windows. Means you’ve got 4 others to fill. Whether you want away with certain windows is mute point as it’s not going to happen.
It stops meaningless money making tours to far flung places in the June window which is what a lot of sides do or playing games to win bidding votes ie England playing in the Caribbean in 2008.

Good 2-0 win for Charlotte against NY Red Bulls

I don't want away with international windows. Just popping in 4 games now when seasons have to start early to cover a World Cup in November/December is my complaint.

We normally have a couple of games at the end of the season or warm up games ahead of a tournament but you can see a lot of players really don't want to be doing 3 never mind 4 games right now.

There wasn't a need for a series of Internationals. The Nations League is comparatively new, it didn't need to happen and I'm not sure many people are particularly interested, as a straw poll of 1 I've not watched a minute. It's flogging players for the sake of it. Wolves' Internationals will have 2 1/2 weeks off before pre season training. It's bonkers

It does need to happen though as it feeds into qualification now. You can't just cancel that off (nor should you as it's actually a rare good and workable UEFA initiative).

Qatar is making a bollocks of absolutely everything, the fingers point solely in that direction.

It only feeds into qualification because they said it does. No reason why it needed to. Qatar isn't moving, no need to compound the issue

There wasn't a need for a series of Internationals. The Nations League is comparatively new, it didn't need to happen and I'm not sure many people are particularly interested, as a straw poll of 1 I've not watched a minute. It's flogging players for the sake of it. Wolves' Internationals will have 2 1/2 weeks off before pre season training. It's bonkers

As DW says the Qatar World Cup is the spanner in the works not the nations league. The reason why we’re playing these 4 as oppose to 2 games is because of that also it’s the reason why the season is starting early and finishing late next season. The reason it works is it puts sides against their own ability level and provides incentive to sides who struggle in qualifying.
Put it this way if we get relegated from this it does us zero favours, means 6 matches against much less appealing games and puts you at risk of not being seeded when it comes to qualifying.

It only feeds into qualification because they said it does. No reason why it needed to. Qatar isn't moving, no need to compound the issue

As I’ve said take away nations league will just lead to countries like England going to far reaches of the globe for a couple of games in June far more pointless and just as draining.
The fact it’s linked to qualifying keeps things relevant.
The Alternative is euro qualifying knowing that even coming 3rd will get you a place at the finals.
It’s arrogant from the likes of ourselves to think we’re above it comes across very much of a similar attitude top 6 PL sides have towards the rest of the pyramid.

As I’ve said take away nations league will just lead to countries like England going to far reaches of the globe for a couple of games in June far more pointless and just as draining.
The fact it’s linked to qualifying keeps things relevant.
The Alternative is euro qualifying knowing that even coming 3rd will get you a place at the finals.
It’s arrogant from the likes of ourselves to think we’re above it comes across very much of a similar attitude top 6 PL sides have towards the rest of the pyramid.
It's not about taking away the Nations League it's about taking away this Nations League. Whoever England may or may not have played post season I can absolutely guarantee you they wouldn't have been doing so on June 14th. You said earlier Italy played a bunch of kids today, so clearly they are also just going through the motions.

It's not about taking away the Nations League it's about taking away this Nations League. Whoever England may or may not have played post season I can absolutely guarantee you they wouldn't have been doing so on June 14th. You said earlier Italy played a bunch of kids today, so clearly they are also just going through the motions.

They’re going through of more of a rebuild after failing to qualify. Even if Italy are not being serious then it highlights my point about bigger nations having an arrogant view towards the rest.

So bugger everyone else, you now get less chance to qualify because it's a bit inconvenient for England and Germany (who nearly always qualify without breaking sweat) to play now.

Not for me.

It's a crap situation but the root cause is clear. Don't play World Cups where you literally can't play when you're supposed to.

It fucks up domestic football too.

So bugger everyone else, you now get less chance to qualify because it's a bit inconvenient for England and Germany (who nearly always qualify without breaking sweat) to play now.

Not for me.

It's a crap situation but the root cause is clear. Don't play World Cups where you literally can't play when you're supposed to.

It fucks up domestic football too.
Qatar was given the World Cup 12 years ago before the Nations League was even considered. That's over a decade to plan how to accomodate it. We all know why they have it and it's bollocks, but the decision wasn't going to be revoked, so you make the right structure to fit around it, not try to shove everything else in anyway.

As for qualification for the Euros , it's a bloated 24 team tournament, where nearly half of the continent qualify, if you can't get there via groups then you really don't deserve to be, therefore isn't a bugger everyone else argument for me.

Last edited:
Hungary in front again, pretty piss poor goal to concede.

Bowen is having a mare. For the second game running against Hungary he’s picked the wrong wide forwards. It needs the more skilful creative ones rather than the willing runners against these.

Just realised that it’s not the Wolves players fault that they keep getting decent possession and then turning and giving it back to the centre halves, it must be the ground. England are continually doing the same.

Bowen is having a mare. For the second game running against Hungary he’s picked the wrong wide forwards. It needs the more skilful creative ones rather than the willing runners against these.

Just realised that it’s not the Wolves players fault that they keep getting decent possession and then turning and giving it back to the centre halves, it must be the ground. England are continually doing the same.
Kane's turned into Raul too, never anywhere near the opposition goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back