• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reason why tackling from behind was outlawed, putting your body weight on the back of someone leg like travelling at speed you risk what just happened. Accidental is irrelevant.

Can't agree, I think watching challenges in slow motion always makes them look deliberate.

The fact the ref doesn't so much as give a foul says it all.

It's an accident.

Don’t think it’s deliberate at all, just really poor choice of tackle and because he brings his left leg through Elliot it’s dangerous. Red all day once you see the how he actually challenges which wasn’t visible in real speed.

Don’t think it’s deliberate at all, just really poor choice of tackle and because he brings his left leg through Elliot it’s dangerous. Red all day once you see the how he actually challenges which wasn’t visible in real speed.
This is where I am

The fact is he could have made a different choice to the challenge he made ie track his man put under pressure. As I’ve said tackles from the rear have been outlawed for over 20 years and today shows why.

Reason why tackling from behind was outlawed, putting your body weight on the back of someone leg like travelling at speed you risk what just happened. Accidental is irrelevant.
It's not from behind either, it's from the side, they are both running in the same direction, it's nothing like a CF protecting the ball and a CB going through him, which IS outlawed.

If he doesn't get hurt then no one even looks at that twice, just like the ref doesn't until Salah tells him to stop the game.

If we are giving punishments based on injury, then perhaps we shouldn't punish players if there is no injury too, like when Cooper did the same challenge a few minutes later....

It's not from behind either, it's from the side, they are both running in the same direction, it's nothing like a CF protecting the ball and a CB going through him, which IS outlawed.

If he doesn't get hurt then no one even looks at that twice, just like the ref doesn't until Salah tells him to stop the game.

If we are giving punishments based on injury, then perhaps we shouldn't punish players if there is no injury too, like when Copper did the same challenge a few minutes later....
The only way he doesn’t get caught is if the Leeds players other foot doesn’t follow through. His other foot doesn’t follow through if he is in control. He wasn’t in control, it was dangerous and it’s a red card and a good spot by the fourth official, the referee didn’t see it.

The fourth official who had Klopp in his ear all game? Right....

The referee was looking right at it, and didn't give anything.

Linky

moment of impact, I think it could be argued that the challenge has ended up with the Leeds bloke putting his weight onto Elliott's leg. That's not safe imho

The fourth official who had Klopp in his ear all game? Right....

The referee was looking right at it, and didn't give anything.
6BF39CA2-9C0E-4BC9-ABF2-F81AC2A49046.jpeg
That’s an out of control lunge with both feet off the floor.

0196EB96-9D78-4A0A-84A7-6A695408B2DD.jpeg
That’s a two footed scissor, off the floor, out of control, resulting in excessive force on a players leg from behind = endangering an opponent and breaking his leg. It ticks pretty much every box.

He may not have meant to scissor him, but because he’s off the floor and out of control despite trying to take the ball from the side he’s scissorred him.

Attachments

• 5938531C-45D6-4A5C-B8F0-66C78A746D6D.jpeg
    5938531C-45D6-4A5C-B8F0-66C78A746D6D.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
i) It's a paused still of a tackle, 90% of tackles would look similar, every tackle has the potential to injure, every single one.

ii) Cooper made a similar tackle a few minutes later, because it didn't injure, that was that. There are dozens of tackles like this every game, what i'm saying is, if this is a red card, then any similar tackle should be, he was sent off because the injury caused the officials to look at it.

i) It's a paused still of a tackle, 90% of tackles would look similar, every tackle has the potential to injure, every single one.
So a still means it didnt happen then? The still shows a lunge, off the ground, out of control, scissor, from behind. Theres no doubt about what happened. It’s doesnt make it look worse, it shows what he did.

Of course you can get injured in any challenge. But the only way someone breaks your leg like that is if they scissor you from behind with their body weight.

So a still means it didnt happen then? The still shows a lunge, off the ground, out of control, scissor, from behind. Theres no doubt about what happened. It’s doesnt make it look worse, it shows what he did.

Of course you can get injured in any challenge. But the only way someone breaks your leg like that is if they scissor you from behind with their body weight.
We're not going to agree, i don't even think it's a foul. :)

One thing we can agree on (i think) is that if he doesn't get injured, then we aren't having this conversation now, as the game would have just carried on.

One thing we can agree on (i think) is that if he doesn't get injured, then we aren't having this conversation now, as the game would have just carried on.
I don’t think we can agree on that! Outrage against Pogba last week for nearly breaking Neves’ leg. Bloke even said himself if it’s a foul then it’s a red. And no one got hurt

I don’t think we can agree on that! Outrage against Pogba last week for nearly breaking Neves’ leg. Bloke even said himself if it’s a foul then it’s a red. And no one got hurt
That helps my argument doesn't it? Pogba made no contact with the ball, caught Neves but Neves didn't go down, so didn't get a free kick.

Struijk makes the challenge, the ref doesn't bat an eyelid and plays on (he didn't make the signal for that, he just carried on with the play), but as soon as the officials realise he's seriously hurt they look at the tackle and send him off.

That's as bad a tackle as you can get, jumping in and wrapping his legs around him from the side.

I'd rather 2 foot studs up from the front, he's thrown all his weight around the Liverpool player from the side. Madness anyone can say that tackles not a red card

If we are giving punishments based on injury, then perhaps we shouldn't punish players if there is no injury too, like when Cooper did the same challenge a few minutes later....

The challenge is from behind and frankly avoidable it’s his choice of challenge that causes the injury ultimately. Not that he intended but had other options as I said earlier.
The challenge he makes causes his whole body weight to go onto the back of Harvey’s Calfs/ankle.
Did he have to make that challenge where he was in relation to the player and where it was on the field?
The fact is he has got the injury so the argument that if he doesn’t no one looks twice is pointless because the level of contact would need to be different to have avoided.
At the end of the day player (a) suffers a ankle break due to player (b) choosing to make a tackle that causes his whole body weight to go onto player (a) ankle/calf.
poor decision making leading to injury should mean punishment of some sort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back