• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Live Match Discussion 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Harry Kane will go beyond 32
If he carries on getting 17-18 a season (as he has for three out of the last four campaigns, he managed 23 in 2020/21) that gives him around 250 Premier League goals by 2026. He would stick around to beat Shearer's record of 260 (or 283 top flight goals, as he got 23 pre-1992 for Southampton) if possible.

I'm only teasing. I don't mind England at football to be honest. Rugby on the other hand.

Happens a fair bit, doesn't it.

Michael Owen was 28 when he won his last international cap and effectively gave up on being a serious player before he turned 30. Jack Wilshere has around 90 club appearances in the last six seasons, still only 30. Chuck in injuries and most players only have so many miles on the clock they can give, whether they've expended them at 30, 35 or 40. You get the odd superhuman freak here and there (Giggs being the obvious one) and defenders can carry on for longer, although our very own Jo Lescott was basically done when he was 33 having started off in our team when he was still just about 17.

With Giggs though he totally changed position, he even had that period where they moved him inside and he looked finished but then adjusted and just carried on, you could say Scholes was similar to a lesser extent too. Does Bale have a similar move of position? Previously when I've seen Wales he's been more of a lone front man off a target man but he seemed to be playing deeper today?

As well as Wales we finally get to potentially see Weah in a world cup, sadly not George though.

I'm only teasing. I don't mind England at football to be honest. Rugby on the other hand.
Is it very unusual for, say, an Englishman to want to see the other, er, Home Countries(?), be successful EXCEPT when playing England?

For reference, I generally want to see other CONCACAF nations do well, just not at the expense of the US.

Is it very unusual for, say, an Englishman to want to see the other, er, Home Countries(?), be successful EXCEPT when playing England?

For reference, I generally want to see other CONCACAF nations do well, just not at the expense of the US.
20+ years ago I think you'd have found a high % of English supporting the other home countries, the ABE brigade in Scotland and Wales has watered that down significantly now I'd guess. They would say their stance is driven by our arrogance

I want all the Home Nations (plus Ireland) to do well.

There's a weird crossover between people who think the opposite but also endlessly bang on about how they don't care about England and international breaks are terrible and this is the worst team ever, etc etc. Of course a lot of people are just morons.

I can sort of understand that, but equally I can't imagine the US suddenly not playing Mexico for whatever reason.

Different levels of play, granted.

It's interesting. I can only speak from the Welsh perspective on this, where we have been to England what Walsall are to Wolves for pretty much all my existence on this dustball. It's actually great to take on England as "near equals and actually quite exciting". Scotland football fans see it very very differently, auld enemy and all that.

Now, in rugby, I have happily worn shirts about only two teams I ever support, Wales and whoever is playing England. That is where the Wales England hate is, and I think it is actually fairly mutual in Rugby. Yet we play each other every year, minimum, the games never have any crowd nastiness, and they are bloody incredible events to attend. The ABE fucking arrogance shit is very much (for me at least) based in rugby. However, I must stress that when I haven't had a ticket (regularly as they can be like bloody gold dust!), I have watched games with very good friends like Dan and co who are obviously massive England fans. Banter is massive on both sides, but there is mutual respect too. I respected the England 2003 World Cup side (through gritted teeth - but I took it in good part).

I am looking forward to taking on England in the World Cup, in the same way as it was very exciting in the Euros in 2016. It will be a fairly meh match I suspect, as the two teams don't seem to create classics when they play, but there will be a decent frisson that should create a great atmosphere.

I've been to watch way more Rugby internationals than football. Generally its very good natured - as far as I've seen there is no ABW equivalent to ABE. I find it all a bit sad really.

Gareth Chilcott at a speech I attended - "I hear Wales are coming back, let's fucking hope not eh" Much laughing from the old public school tie brigade.

England again playing a bunch of guys counting down to their summer holidays.

Germany playing in their international women's team kit for some reason (only two stars over the crest instead of the correct four).

Englands back four is dog leg with 3 car crashes in that back line.

It's certainly been a far better watch than our last game, although that has mostly been down to the Germans.

Germany playing in their international women's team kit for some reason (only two stars over the crest instead of the correct four).
Will do for all of the Nations League. Belgium and Spain too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back