• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Liverpool (A) 10/9: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not that controversial a statement really, they have form for booing the anthem and are probably the largest collective anti-establishment group of football fans. Whether they'd be *that* disrespectful, I doubt, but it's not beyond possibility tbh

Now I know RAWK is not entirely representative of the complete fan base, but looking at the place, opinion seems to be split. There are certainly some who are all up for a good boo, some who are more in my position of not being pro-monarchist at all but respectful that a person has died and that this isn't the time for anti-royal sentiment, and others seem completely respectful.

So the fan base seems a mix and match. Like most gatherings of the size of the Liverpool fan base probably would be.

All scousers are anti-royal is therefore a generalisation, but I do take the point that there would be a risk that some would act inappropriately. To be honest, it will be taken out of people's hands because I can't envisage any scenario where any of the games in the next two weeks go ahead.

The booing of the anthem hasn't been about the Queen per se, which I know sounds strange when it's literally a song about her. I believe it comes from the feeling of abandonment from the State and Thatcher from the 80s. That said in a silence it only takes a few.

Apologies if that's my Rory Delap moment

Now I know RAWK is not entirely representative of the complete fan base, but looking at the place, opinion seems to be split. There are certainly some who are all up for a good boo, some who are more in my position of not being pro-monarchist at all but respectful that a person has died and that this isn't the time for anti-royal sentiment, and others seem completely respectful.

So the fan base seems a mix and match. Like most gatherings of the size of the Liverpool fan base probably would be.

All scousers are anti-royal is therefore a generalisation, but I do take the point that there would be a risk that some would act inappropriately. To be honest, it will be taken out of people's hands because I can't envisage any scenario where any of the games in the next two weeks go ahead.
Based on absolutely no insight other than what I’ve read in The Guardian it seems like there is a reasonable chance sport goes ahead this weekend. Would seem slightly odd that the cricket and golf goes ahead but football is cancelled. A hostage to fortune in the shape of a press release stating the opposite in 5 minutes, ‘feels’ more likely it will be on with appropriate celebrations planned?

The golf is off today as is the cricket. I would be surprised if matches go ahead, although the compressed time table with the World Cup is an issue.

The Governments main job at this time is to control the period of mourning and what happens. How can they not give a definitive answer.
Their decision may be unpopular with some but just drop this "Do what you want" doesn't help anyone really.

Just a quick question guys about strikers at the club leading up to the Liverpool game.
Years ago if you were not in the first team squad you played in the central league and were basically an understudy to the first team.
Do we not have any young players who could step in do a job for us ?

If it comes down to the clubs, I think the ones in Europe will ask for the games to be called off along with any teams with an injury list that is taking away key players. Leaving open arguments where clubs accused for lack of respect when they ask for the games to go ahead etc. This is why leaving it up to others is not good.

Last edited:
Just a quick question guys about strikers at the club leading up to the Liverpool game.
Years ago if you were not in the first team squad you played in the central league and were basically an understudy to the first team.
Do we not have any young players who could step in do a job for us ?

No.

The standard of the U21 league is terrible.

I would expect a few boos tomorrow but it’ll literally a moronic few hundred I fully expect most Liverpool fans to show common decency in this situation.
Unfortunately when the minority behave like morons it tarnishes the rest.
There’s a time to be anti establishment and there’s a time to just let it go for just 1 minute prior to kick off of a game.

No.

The standard of the U21 league is terrible.
I do think the demise of the Central league and a reserve team was a mistake. It kept the second string players match fit and gave youngsters experience playing against long term professionals.
You'd think it would be ideal for current teams with massive squads.

I can understand sporting fixtures being cancelled today but from then on, apart from the day of the funeral, they should all go ahead as planned.
People up and down the country will be working today, and those employed in roles either directly or indirectly linked to Sport shouldn't be penalised financially by cancelled fixtures. If the BBC, Sky or whoever want to dedicate channels to a continuation of tributes, then fine but please allow others to have a choice of how they carry on with their lives.

I can understand sporting fixtures being cancelled today but from then on, apart from the day of the funeral, they should all go ahead as planned.
People up and down the country will be working today, and those employed in roles either directly or indirectly linked to Sport shouldn't be penalised financially by cancelled fixtures. If the BBC, Sky or whoever want to dedicate channels to a continuation of tributes, then fine but please allow others to have a choice of how they carry on with their lives.
Lots of people will have booked flights, hotels, trains, taken time off etc etc.
I'd rather life went on, but pay respects wherever and whenever. There's gonna be 12 solid days of this...
And it's all gonna be on tv.

Reading between the lines the PL will probably feel pressured to call it off this weekend.
Probably doesn’t want to get poked with the “football has no morals stick” again
Personally it should go ahead, the world must go on even in a grieving process in fact keeping things as normal as possible helps.
Reality is wouldn’t it do people good to continue their hobbies and recreation?

Sport shouldn't be called off. There's plenty of ways to show respect at games without financially penalising people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back