• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Liverpool (H) 16/9: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, he's with Portugal.

He doesn't need a rest though, only Alan thinks that.
Yeah I was getting at if he hadn’t have gone that he’s just had a rest in theory.

Haven’t followed Portugal but again very much doubt he’s played many minutes.

All Moot, shouldn’t need a rest 4 games into a season

Cracked up at this thread. Sorry Alan.

What I’d like:

Sa
Semedo Dawson Toti Hugo
Gomes Lemina
Bellegarde Cunha Neto
Sasa
What I think we’ll see:

Sa
Semedo Dawson Kilman RAN
Bellegarde Lemina Gomes Neto
Cunha
Fabio
I do agree with whoever said we might start with a back 5, but that would be ultra defensive and just welcome them on to us from the first second.

Nunez running the channel between Kilman and RAN who is dragged out by Salah is the thing of nightmares.

I can see this being a complete slapping.

I'd be very tempted to play with a five and three in the middle to try and eliminate as many passing channels as possible, but then you're taking away one of Cunha/Neto and their potential to carry the ball.

Nunez running the channel between Kilman and RAN who is dragged out by Salah is the thing of nightmares.

I can see this being a complete slapping.

I'd be very tempted to play with a five and three in the middle to try and eliminate as many passing channels as possible, but then you're taking away one of Cunha/Neto and their potential to carry the ball.
I get it, but that's no different to just playing for the goal difference like Sheff U against Man City. It is only a few months since we beat them comfortably at home, I appreciate both sides are in a very different place now, but if we become one of those damage limitation sides then we may as well just go down and play in a league we'll try and compete in

I get it, but that's no different to just playing for the goal difference like Sheff U against Man City. It is only a few months since we beat them comfortably at home, I appreciate both sides are in a very different place now, but if we become one of those damage limitation sides then we may as well just go down and play in a league we'll try and compete in
Agreed. There’s a big difference between a cautious approach and being accepting of a “respectable defeat”.

How's that any different to Nuno's approach that was often lauded?

It didn't take one of your best players off the field and wasn't a back 5, it was a 343, not a 532. The only time I can remember us ever playing with a flat 5 under Fosun was against Liverpool under Lage, which ended in heroic defeat

It didn't take one of your best players off the field and wasn't a back 5, it was a 343, not a 532
There were plenty of games under Nuno where the backline spent more time as a 5 than a 3 and many argue his team peaked with a 3 man midfield with Jota and Jimenez paired up top. There were many games where his team took a very passive approach, quietly waiting for an opportunity to appear rather than creating one themselves.

I fully endorsed our methods from 2017-2020.

We don't have that manager any more and we have hardly any of those players.

It'd be like plucking Tony McCarroll out of whichever South Manchester pub he's in and saying 'write us a few Oasis style songs mate'. I imagine they would be awful.

And people wonder why I don't bother typing sometimes. 🤷🏻‍♂️

There were plenty of games under Nuno where the backline spent more time as a 5 than a 3 and many argue his team peaked with a 3 man midfield with Jota and Jimenez paired up top. There were many games where his team took a very passive approach, quietly waiting for an opportunity to appear rather than creating one themselves.
And we were very good at it when we did it.

I’m not sure I have the optimism to think O’Neil has that level of discipline and organisation in his locker unfortunately.

And people wonder why I don't bother typing sometimes. 🤷🏻‍♂️
There's 25? posters on here who I'd describe as prolific. Each of those posters has their own style which people will draw their own conclusions on. It may not be the real you, or even how intend to be perceived, but ultimately you, I and the other 23 need to own that.

Some days you’re just gonna be the Village Idiot with the weird take. Happens. Not that I would know anything about that…

Don’t be a dick about it and everyone can laugh about the thing later.

And we were very good at it when we did it.

I’m not sure I have the optimism to think O’Neil has that level of discipline and organisation in his locker unfortunately.
I’m pretty sure we don’t have the players for any manager to get close to Nuno’s level of discipline and organisation. Just for starters think Boly v Kilman and Raul v Fabio…

They’re pretty open, Liverpool. Not exactly known for being solid, so we may be able to get at them abit like against United.

Would’ve been a game where nunes could’ve thrived, so be interesting to see if bellegarde gets a start, and if his style of play is similar.

Naturally, we could get tonked, but also it’s very ‘Wolvesy’ that we go out and win.

Not optimistic, mind, but I don’t want to see us go damage limitation and play for goal difference, especially 5 games in.

It's still a home game, and if GON has any principles that involve being competitive (which according to Hobbs he does), then I wouldn't expect a small-time 'shut up shop' mentality.

But I fear the alternative is a naive 'toe to toe' and a spanking.

Be good to see some of the new blood, regardless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back