• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Loans

If we could gain promotion i would do it, also competition is good, makes people raise their games. It can also unsettle a team but i think thats more likely when the team wins and plays good before bringing more players in

Would you take it for 1 season to earn promotion and then build a better, more permanent team with the PL money?

If it guaranteed promotion then yes, but obviously there would be no such guarantee. I don't fancy signing 5-6 loans up for 2015/16, we don't go up and then come the summer of 2016 we have gaping holes all over the squad where we've lost players and got no money for selling them. You aren't going to be able to pull that trick effectively forever.

It's a gamble but it's got it's postives too, you end up with a few flops then it doesn't cost you as much as having the likes of Doyle, Johnson and O'Hara stuck around for 2 years or more when they've nothing to contribute.

A successful permanent signing would obviously be the best option but I'd rather than a better player on loan, if we're talking season long or at least window to window, than end up with a substandard player just because they're locked down for longer.

I think it'd be silly to turn down the opportunity to sign a better player, especially if they would improve a particularly weak position, just on principle because you can't guarantee you'll get them permanently

The big problem with an approach like Derby's is that it is the likelihood that it will have a detrimental affect on their recruitment. What young player would want to go to Derby when there will be an expectation that they will only get into the squad when a loanee is injury? What kid would want to got their academy knowing that the club is going to give more chances to academy players from bigger clubs than to them?

The other big question with their approach is whether they have sufficient money to fill all the gaps in their squad when they get to the Premier League?

Derby have a very good recent record of bringing through youth players from their Academy, Hughes and Hendrick from their current first team spring to mind. You could argue that Wolves' policy of bringing young players to come into our U18/21 team from other to jump in front of / push out existing players is more likely to put someone joining our Academy than Derby's loan policy. Personally I don't think either would and they'd look at their record of developing young talent irrespective of their origins.

Derby have a very good recent record of bringing through youth players from their Academy, Hughes and Hendrick from their current first team spring to mind. You could argue that Wolves' policy of bringing young players to come into our U18/21 team from other to jump in front of / push out existing players is more likely to put someone joining our Academy than Derby's loan policy. Personally I don't think either would and they'd look at their record of developing young talent irrespective of their origins.

Derby County now have Category One Academy Status, having watched Wolves play Derby at under 21 level I would say Derby have better quality within that age group. Apart from Jordan Graham I dont see any others capable of making a break through next season and expect Wolves to add youngsters from other clubs to play at this level.

Derbys loan idea doesn't really matter. They will end up signing them permanently if they get the chance. Is Mascarell going to make it at Madrid? Very much doubt it. Bent is probably up for grabs, but they probably won't want him. Who knows what's going on with Tom Ince and Lingard they could probably take on loan for another season with a view to buy

Derbys loan idea doesn't really matter. They will end up signing them permanently if they get the chance. Is Mascarell going to make it at Madrid? Very much doubt it. Bent is probably up for grabs, but they probably won't want him. Who knows what's going on with Tom Ince and Lingard they could probably take on loan for another season with a view to buy
It was noticeable Man Utd secured Lingard to a new long term contract on transfer deadline day, the others I agree you can see at Derby next season on permanent deals.

Reading through to catch up I hoped Graham and Sagbo would do significantly better than they did. I also remember Watford reach the play offs a couple of years ago with half the Udinese squad in the side. That caused a lot of debate and a change of rules/ tweak to prevent it happening again. I want some loyalty to us. Its a bit old fashioned this day and age but that is how I feel. When we go up I want it to be with a squad capable of staying up and doing our proud heritage justice not struggling and hoping for 4th bottom. The latter is what lots of loans to get promotion would bring in my view.

The big problem with an approach like Derby's is that it is the likelihood that it will have a detrimental affect on their recruitment. What young player would want to go to Derby when there will be an expectation that they will only get into the squad when a loanee is injury? What kid would want to got their academy knowing that the club is going to give more chances to academy players from bigger clubs than to them?

The other big question with their approach is whether they have sufficient money to fill all the gaps in their squad when they get to the Premier League?

Aren't Derby ran in a similar way to Wolves, living within their means only spending what they can afford? So if they get promoted that's an extra £60m or something now which can be used on whatever they like rather than being eaten up by old debt, don't think they'll struggle too much to recruit replacements in that scenario. Either way it's a safer bet than throwing a load of money at permanent signings with the same aim of promotion, what happens then if you fail? Stuck with a load of debt and players tied down to long expensive contracts, at least if you make that gamble with loans they can all be shipped out if it doesn't go to plan.

I don't think their loan signings are guaranteed priority in the first team either anyway, Bent was stuck on the bench until Martin was injured and I don't think Lingard has started a game for them yet either?

Didn't we have O'Hara on loan before we bought him?

Yeah, we had him from January til the end of that season.

Then we had the brilliant saga around signing him which Waggy/manhatten were convinced that we had lost him to QPR :icon_lol:

I feel the only additional loans we need is a forward to back up Dicko and Afobe (our No. 9 and No. 10), and a left winger to back up Sako.

Yeah, we had him from January til the end of that season.

Then we had the brilliant saga around signing him which Waggy/manhatten were convinced that we had lost him to QPR :icon_lol:

Saga = we didn't sign him one day after the season finished.

We still get it now from people who should know better, McDonald last season, Afobe this.

Wasn't it the website you put up with transfer rumours that he took as gospel about QPR signing him?

With the new TV deals is it likely Premier league clubs will stockpile even more talent, then loan them out to Championship clubs they forge links with?

Is it next season that emergency loans outside of transfer window are ended?

Is it next season that emergency loans outside of transfer window are ended?

Meant to, but I'm sure they'll extend it again if they don't come up with an alternate.

Back