• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lockdown and wildlife

A year or two ago I downloaded an app called ‘Merlin’ on the recommendation of an RSPB warden.
Last time I visited a RSPB site there were a group of twitchers in a hide on the look out for a rare bird. I played the birdsong of said bird on my phone behind them. They didn't find it funny.

In case anyone is interested on this thread, thought I’d share something that’s free and been absolutely great. I’m no expert on birds by the way, let alone a twitcher (god forbid)! A year or two ago I downloaded an app called ‘Merlin’ on the recommendation of an RSPB warden. You can use it on your phone to listen to birdsong (in the garden, park, whatever) and it immediately tells you what the bird is. It’s great, and every now and again has turned something pretty rare up that you can then look a bit closer at the tree and spot - though that’s optional too :) Within my limited abilities I can confirm it’s accurate.

Thought I’d mention given the spring birdsong on my walk this morning.

It's a great app, can upload photos to it as well and it will identify birds from that.

In case anyone is interested on this thread, thought I’d share something that’s free and been absolutely great. I’m no expert on birds by the way, let alone a twitcher (god forbid)! A year or two ago I downloaded an app called ‘Merlin’ on the recommendation of an RSPB warden. You can use it on your phone to listen to birdsong (in the garden, park, whatever) and it immediately tells you what the bird is. It’s great, and every now and again has turned something pretty rare up that you can then look a bit closer at the tree and spot - though that’s optional too :) Within my limited abilities I can confirm it’s accurate.

yeah, I've got that app too and it is great! Have been noticing the birdsong on a few evenings recently and meant to use it in the garden.
I too am a novice with bird spotting, and it is really good!
On a related note, The Genius of Birds by Jennifer Ackerman is also a brilliant book.

Thanks for that, just downloaded.

I’m hopeless at identifying the birds so will definitely have a play around with the app.

On a separate note, I recall one of you guys lamenting the loss of Wilko for seeds on the gardening thread. I was missing their bird fatballs and spending an arm and a leg at the garden centre instead. B & M just opened in their old store in the high street and a box of 150 is £10.99. Bargain indeed.

Looking forward to some happy visitors.

I’m hopeless at identifying the birds so will definitely have a play around with the app.

On a separate note, I recall one of you guys lamenting the loss of Wilko for seeds on the gardening thread. I was missing their bird fatballs and spending an arm and a leg at the garden centre instead. B & M just opened in their old store in the high street and a box of 150 is £10.99. Bargain indeed.

I usually get my wild birdfood from B&M or Home Bargains. Unfortunately the grey squirrels are also partial to the birdfood...

What a blinding App that is. European Robins first up then a Dunnock apparently.

Although it did struggle a bit with BAW196E from Houston to Heathrow to be fair.

The Range stocks Wilko products now, our local one has some bird food.

that was me moaning about wilko and their seeds. Did you notice any seeds for sale in B&M by any chance? I am NOT going to be using b&q on a regular basis. I probably do have enough seeds for this year, but I need a source!

The Range stocks Wilko products now, our local one has some bird food.
that'll be remaining/bankrupt stock I suspect, however the range is a good call - may check it out if ever passing (there isn't one close to me)

that'll be remaining/bankrupt stock I suspect, however the range is a good call - may check it out if ever passing (there isn't one close to me)
Think the owner of The Range bought what was left of Wilko didn't they? Sure I saw something that they were relaunching Wilko starting down South so potentially just selling some convenient goods through The Range in the interim period.

that was me moaning about wilko and their seeds. Did you notice any seeds for sale in B&M by any chance? I am NOT going to be using b&q on a regular basis. I probably do have enough seeds for this year, but I need a source!

Funnily enough I grabbed some in there last week. I just wanted something simple and easy to grow for a little spot out the front, so just picked up some Mr. Fothergill’s Marigolds and Pompon Dahlias so it worked out ok, but wouldn’t really know much about how wide the variety is or cost for those looking for something more adventurous.

Poundstretcher usually has a load of flower/veg seeds if you have one of them near you. Used them for a few years, tried Chiltern/J.Parkers online this year though as I ordered a few tubers and bare roots

Probably deserves a shout in the mental health thread too, but an endorsement and thanks to Mel for the Merlin Bird App suggestion.

Tried it in the garden and a decent dog walk in the woods this morning and here’s what is listed:

Euro Asian Blackbird, European Robin, Rose-ringed Parakeet, Euro Asian Wren, Euro Asian Blue Tit, Common Chiffchaff, Euro Asian Curlew, Euro Asian Magpie, Great Tit, Euro Asian Blackcap, White Wagtail, Carrion Crow, Song Thrush, Dunnock, Common Wood-Pigeon, House Sparrow.

Was really lovely walking and listening, appreciating the sounds instead of headphones-in depressing yourself with a podcast about Ukraine or the US elections etc. That’s got to be good for your wellbeing.

Did make me think to about the constant hum of aeroplanes (am equidistant between Heathrow and Gatwick) that exists and all the things you just block out or take for granted both good and bad.

With the limited leaves on the trees at this time of year the opportunity to see the birds you are hearing is fantastic. Kept looking up as the App identified different sounds and most of the birds would need binoculars, although was lucky enough catch sight of some Parakeets it flagged up.

Going to be enjoying this, thanks:

IMG_8152.jpeg

That’s great to read 🙂 I heard my first Chiffchaff of the year today, one of the very few I don’t need the app to identify! Another Spring milestone.

was watching the squirrels running up and down the trees at the bottom of the garden yesterday.
Can't wait for the clocks to change next weekend! Being able to see and do things for the evening is going to bring me so much joy!

was watching the squirrels running up and down the trees at the bottom of the garden yesterday.
Can't wait for the clocks to change next weekend! Being able to see and do things for the evening is going to bring me so much joy!
Been in the garden most of the day. The joys of retirement.

Weather been decent today, so I've managed to do some tidying up and grab a beer sat outside. The Merlin app is pretty nifty;
Great tit
Long tailed tit
Blue tit
Wood pigeon
House sparrow
Blackbird
Herring gull.

Confirming by theory that leeds is predominantly populated by various tits.

Last edited:
Weather been decent today, so I've managed to do some tidying up and grab a beer sat outside. The Merlin app is pretty nifty;
Great tit
Long tailed tit
Blue tit
Wood pigeon
House sparrow
Blackbird
Herring gull.

Confirming by theory that leeds is predominantly populated by arious tits.
Tried to download that Merlin app about 6 months ago, had am issue, will try again.

Back