• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Lockdown and wildlife

the Collins bird guide app is very good as well, more for the slightly more advanced birder, helped me a lot with warblers, gulls and birds of prey when I was biking round Eastern Europe

Noticed over the last couple of days loads of small beetles, some in the house and also in the garden. Less than 1cm long, blueish colour. Took granddaughter to the park this morning and there was hundreds of them. Never noticed this in past years.

Snails all over the bloody pavements in the morning atm, managed to avoid stomping one so far, but it's bound to happen

Snails all over the bloody pavements in the morning atm, managed to avoid stomping one so far, but it's bound to happen

Had a cycling club social last night and cycling home after the pub we had to cut through a dark passageway. Seemed like hundreds of them and impossible to avoid.

Snap crackle and pop. Was gross.

Had a cycling club social last night and cycling home after the pub we had to cut through a dark passageway. Seemed like hundreds of them and impossible to avoid.

Snap crackle and pop. Was gross.
That'll be the warm, wet weather...

Just witnessed a magpie attacking a sparrow in the garden, violent bastard. Had it in its claws and was stabbing away at it with its beak.

Managed to scare it off and it dropped the injured bird.

I've put it in a shoebox with some water and seed in the hope it'll recover, doesn't look good at the moment, it's breathing but lying on its side, like how birds shouldn't.

Just witnessed a magpie attacking a sparrow in the garden, violent bastard. Had it in its claws and was stabbing away at it with its beak.

I've put it in a shoebox with some water and seed in the hope it'll recover, doesn't look good at the moment, it's breathing but lying on its side, like how birds shouldn't.
Why interfere? That's nature. It's not pleasant but it happens every day. Someone on our local fb page was whingeing cos a dog caught a duckling in the canal and ate it. Not sure what they'll do if/when one of the local Swans kill a duckling.

Interfere?

Well it was happening in front of my 7 and 10 year old kid for a start, but aside from that, I'm also "nature" and if I'd have nursed it back to health that would have been nature too.

However it has died, and to my 7 year old daughter it's the worst thing that's ever happened.

Interfere?

Well it was happening in front of my 7 and 10 year old kid for a start, but aside from that, I'm also "nature" and if I'd have nursed it back to health that would have been nature too.

However it has died, and to my 7 year old daughter it's the worst thing that's ever happened.
We've probably all tried to save baby birds that have either fell from nests or been attacked by predators, I kept a sparrow chick alive for 4 days when I was about 11 but as an adult I've learned that nature has no 'feelings' they're all just trying to stay alive. Maybe the Magpie went hungary after you stole his meal.

We've probably all tried to save baby birds that have either fell from nests or been attacked by predators, I kept a sparrow chick alive for 4 days when I was about 11 but as an adult I've learned that nature has no 'feelings' they're all just trying to stay alive. Maybe the Magpie went hungary after you stole his meal.
Gone home for it's goulash?

Last edited:

Love the Douglas Adams reference

I understand what you're saying, in a way, but i could hardly leave a dying bird in the centre of my lawn either could I? That would have been an unpleasant long term memory for my girls.

I understand what you're saying, in a way, but i could hardly leave a dying bird in the centre of my lawn either could I? That would have been an unpleasant long term memory for my girls.
Wouldn't expect you to leave it dying in the middle of the garden, maybe the Magpie would have carried it off?

Wouldn't expect you to leave it dying in the middle of the garden, maybe the Magpie would have carried it off?
Na, our dog was going mental.

It was all a bit chaotic to be honest! :ROFLMAO:

Barking dogs, screaming kids, dying birds, angry birds...me flapping (!)...aces.

My cat finally managed to clip a magpie last summer. The magpie was hopping around, I shouted at the cat and he stopped going after it. The magpie managed to hop onto a wall, bin and then fence. Suddenly there were loads of them all around the garden fences, squawking like mad. They stayed for ages making a racket. I more was worried about the cat than the potentially winged magpie 😂

Back