• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Man Utd 1-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Penalty shout is top of Reddit. Even United fans saying it's ridiculous

How in the blue hell have we lost that.

As someone deeply sceptical of the O'Neil appointment, that was a huge tick. The easy thing to do would have been to go low block, three parked in front of the back four and hope to shithouse a 0-0. We didn't, we went and played.

We carry the ball so well from so many areas and we never really even looked threatened. Obviously at some point we have to put these chances away. But we created tons and we haven't done that for years.

As for the non-penalty - a fucking scandal. So you've decided between you less than an hour after FT you got it wrong? How did you get it wrong in the first place! It's so obviously a foul.

Let's keep going that way and we'll be fine.

Garth Crooks is a fool but for once he is calling it as it is. States that certain teams going to the big sides knowing the ref will favour the opponent is a stain that needs to be addressed.

Watched in a pub in Cornwall with my son on his birthday, loads of Man U fans but lots of spurs and Liverpool too. Me and my boy were the only ones who didn’t get excited when we got a chance to score, it’s like a disease that’s infected the club. Such a good performance and loads of promise from some genuinely talented players but unless we can unlock some way of getting the ball over the line more often, these VAR decisions and the odd error in defence may cost us our place in this league

They just need to change this “high bar” nonsense. To “was it the right decision”.

You can only not “re-referee the game” if the refs aren’t making dreadful decisions week in week out.

Stop compounding wrong decisions with more wrong decisions.

They just need to change this “high bar” nonsense. To “was it the right decision”.

You can only not “re-referee the game” if the refs aren’t making dreadful decisions week in week out.

Stop compounding wrong decisions with more wrong decisions.
I don't even blame Hooper for not giving it in real time. It's when you get to look at it again, and Onana gets nowhere near the ball and clearly smashes into Sasa at full pace, how are you saying that isn't a foul? I mean what does he actually have to do, break his neck?

I don't even blame Hooper for not giving it in real time. It's when you get to look at it again, and Onana gets nowhere near the ball and clearly smashes into Sasa at full pace, how are you saying that isn't a foul? I mean what does he actually have to do, break his neck?
Precisely. Keepers do get slack for doing similar at times, (the clown went charging at Antony again for fuck all reason when he had a 0.1% chance of scoring/creating and got no where near him but left the goal unguarded). I digress, but he’s not even going for the ball as he’s nowhere near it, late, with a ton of force.

The refs cop out of decisions (understandably, there’s a lot going on, bit of carnage, happening at speed, may be unsighted, 90+ minute, Old Trafford. Underdog, etc.) but the bloke in the quiet cosy video suite and can take all those factors away! Make the right decision!

Sticking with Madleys decision at Newcastle on Raul. He’s 40 fucking yards away, wrong side. Let him at least look at it again FFS rather than a split second guess.

Well despite the result that was great to watch. Play with that intensity every week and we’re going to cause everyone problems, be good to watch and hopefully score goals because you can’t keep missing if you create that volume of chances.

Some excellent performances tonight, Gomes, Lemina, Semedo in particular but Cunha was the standout, oh how good he would be if he could finish. Flashes if brilliance from others 2 and no one could have moaned if we had win that 2/3-1.

Very small sample of 1 game but if Gaz can see that we need a striker in front of Cunha and get us playing like that most weeks then sign me up for Gazball. We do need to see it over 10/15/20 games but don’t see why you would change too much after seeing that so i’m gonna be positive. Now it was using the blueprint that Julen set up in pre season but guess what, he didn’t want to manage this great club anymore despite his £11m a year salary and despite having all of that starting 11 available last season never set us up away from home like that. So yes massive reputation, great manager etc… but he isn’t in charge anymore so O’Neil gets my support until he doesn’t deserve it anymore

Fuck knows what to say about the officials, inept, corrupt I don’t even know. Rank inconsistencies on fouls, stopping play, judging time wasting and then just outright bullshit with the penalty decision, i can see it from 50 yards away in the crowd yet Hooper can’t see it on the pitch and the twat looking at his screen doesn’t think it’s clear and obvious. Apologies can fuck off too, it’s gets us nowhere and happened too often last year yet here we are again after 1 game.

Also that away end was fucking brilliant tonight and hopefully sets the tone going forward, only thing missing was a goal and the absolute limbs that would have followed. Now Molineux needs to get behind the lads on Saturday, make it hostile for every team because it does seem to me like it’s us against everyone more than ever. We’ve got players that seem like they would run through walls for this club and support is the least they deserve while doing that.

It did feel a bit deja vu last night with the glaring missed chances but I think GON is right: we were arriving in good numbers in the box and that was a huge problem last year under every manager we had. The 4-3-3 set-up means we can leave Lemina back and throw Gomes and Nunes up from midfield too - which we couldn’t really do last year.

We’re going to have to weigh up the right moments to attack and press, but that will come. Got caught out a few times tonight for being a bit over zealous.

There’s plenty of talent and “flair” there I think they just need a huge confidence boost (and we maybe need to wrap Mario in bubble wrap for the season - honestly, what a buy at was it £5m?)

I thought we played more of a 4-4-1-1 for a lot of last night.

Think it switched and changed throughout depending on the situation - quite often Nunes, Lemina and Gomes were in a 3. Pedro did a lot of hard work last night too tracking back but it was nice to see he had the fitness to still keep attacking - Cunha too.

Be interesting to see how we play against the likes to Luton and Sheffield United. We’re used to Wolves putting on a bit of a show for the big teams, not necessarily the ones we may be directly scrapping with…

Think it switched and changed throughout depending on the situation - quite often Nunes, Lemina and Gomes were in a 3. Pedro did a lot of hard work last night too tracking back but it was nice to see he had the fitness to still keep attacking - Cunha too.

Be interesting to see how we play against the likes to Luton and Sheffield United. We’re used to Wolves putting on a bit of a show for the big teams, not necessarily the ones we may be directly scrapping with…
It definitely finishes in more of a 4-3-3. If we want to get a striker starting with Cunha then I think it definitely has to be 4-4-1-1, you'd expect Sarabia to drop out - though, outside of Wolves fans, he seems to have got pretty decent reviews last night.

I can’t remember who said it last night but they mentioned that Cunha and Sarabia are just a tiny bit samey and we need an outlet, rather than constantly overloading our forward positions with the same old (we’ve done it for the past couple of years). Sarabia is a good, clever player.

Fully on board with Cunha tracking back to RB for to tackle and put a shift in too, but we need someone up top we can lay the ball to and start attacks - Raul was particularly brilliant at this.

My worry is that Utd were terrible and made us look good - not sure the same plan will work against Brighton and our defence looks dodgy to me, I don’t trust Kilman at all.

Brighton will be more difficult for us I think. Can see us playing deeper for longer spells as they are so good at teasing you out

Back