• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 0 Wolves 2 Verdict thread.

Our last two games sum the Championship up perfectly. Anyone can beat anyone on their day, and that's why it is so important not to kneejerk after one bad result. I hope the people who had already started to consider Walter's position after Tuesday night have a long, hard look at themselves. Three points separate 3rd - 11th. Crazy league.

Not sure there's any need for this tbh. To be clear:

- It wasn't one bad result, it was one point from three games
- We chucked away two points against Burton largely because of the manager's instructions and mindset
- Tuesday night was SO bad and was again so much down to how the manager set the team up that of course questions are going to be asked
- He has not much of a track record so again, we start playing poorly and he doesn't have a huge amount of credit in the bank
- The players gave up on Tuesday which is never a good sign for a manager
- Before today we'd played well in the first half once out of seven times, which is not anything like acceptable
- Had we lost 2-0 today (which most considered likely) then we'd now be 17th and being as most consider a playoff challenge the minimum aim given the money spent and the ambition of the owners, that wouldn't exactly look great with some tough games to come

As it is we've done superbly to get a result and loads of credit has to go Zenga's way. But please don't have a go at people who had to sit through Tuesday night and reacted accordingly.

Very harsh Gents. I was expecting great praise on predicting a victory on Tyneside. I am truly hurt. But off out now to celebrate.

Great result and sounds like we deserved it, the teamsheet looked to have balance from the start. Surprised to see Saiss in the team and he lasted all game, is he the CM we have been missing since.........well, Karl Henry (his good days)?
Looking forward to my first game of the season against Brentford, hope he keeps at least the nucleus of this team, preferably the same but think he is commited to squad rotation

No idea what Mbemba was doing but will take it, Costa's is an excellent finish after quality closing down from Edwards and as hard as Bod works he has should have scored at least 1.

Very harsh Gents. I was expecting great praise on predicting a victory on Tyneside. I am truly hurt. But off out now to celebrate.

you know we love you Frank, enjoy!

Great result, though don't think Newcastle played particularly well or were allowed to (certainly Toon Forum thread not overly impressed with their players or Benitez on today's performance)

If Saiss is as good as the commentary made him sound (& I'm never quite sure how accurate they are) then he will fill a massive hole that we have had for some time - covered/marked/tackled & still found time to set up attacks. Undoubtadly helped Prince & Edwards to do what was needed further forward without having to worry as much as usual as to what was going on behind them.

This seemed to allow us to pressure them much more in the Newcastle half - suddenly we get on the front foot for once

Saiss was quality. Gave nothing away at all. Bod was tireless and we deserved the win. Absolutely buzzing. I missed the Steve Bull masterclass on that new years day and have never seen Wolves win at Newcastle.... I have now!

That was a great stop by Ikeme at 0-0

Great and unexpected win today, good to see such a positive response after Tuesday night.

Saiss was quality. Gave nothing away at all. Bod was tireless and we deserved the win. Absolutely buzzing. I missed the Steve Bull masterclass on that new years day and have never seen Wolves win at Newcastle.... I have now!

Really wish I could have come to this one - you lucky bugger!

Kept the Newcastle crowd very quiet - could really hear you lot singing - partic on the Jon Dadi song & Fat Spanish Waiter

Lovely finish by Costa, but what the fuck was Perez doing?? That was typical Premier League player being caught out by the Championship for me.

Top class save from Carl at 0-0.

Impressive pressure on the ball to win the ball just before the second. Lovely finish too. Should have had more by the looks of it too!

No idea what Mbemba was doing but will take it, Costa's is an excellent finish after quality closing down from Edwards and as hard as Bod works he has should have scored at least 1.

Only a year ago he was playing in Tippeligaen. I imagine he may still be adjusting to the somewhat more intense scrutiny Championship defenders have him under. Can only hope that if he keeps up as he has started, more goals will come.

Yes great save from Ikeme and a nice free kick from Saiss- this kid looks useful.
Great work all you Wolves fans who were at St James's.
Fantastic support for a great team performance.

Carl had a good game, made one great save at 0-0 and commanded his area well. His distribution could have been a bit better.
I thought Newcastle were getting on top, till we went one up. Very good passing and movement, but they had no end product to finish it off.
There were many times that a wolves player wasn't aware where his team mates were. Where Newcastle players had more of an awareness, of where his team mates were, so they more pretty to watch. This is probably down to so many new players coming to Wolves in such a short time.
At the moment, we are a work in progress. I thought Zenga won the tactical battle today. He made the most of what we have, where Newcastle were over confident, until they went down.
I thought, Newcastle fans were very quiet, Wolves fans were superb and the referee was a home banker.

Back