• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 0 Wolves 2 Verdict thread.

Not sure there's any need for this tbh. To be clear:

- It wasn't one bad result, it was one point from three games
- We chucked away two points against Burton largely because of the manager's instructions and mindset
- Tuesday night was SO bad and was again so much down to how the manager set the team up that of course questions are going to be asked
- He has not much of a track record so again, we start playing poorly and he doesn't have a huge amount of credit in the bank
- The players gave up on Tuesday which is never a good sign for a manager
- Before today we'd played well in the first half once out of seven times, which is not anything like acceptable
- Had we lost 2-0 today (which most considered likely) then we'd now be 17th and being as most consider a playoff challenge the minimum aim given the money spent and the ambition of the owners, that wouldn't exactly look great with some tough games to come

As it is we've done superbly to get a result and loads of credit has to go Zenga's way. But please don't have a go at people who had to sit through Tuesday night and reacted accordingly.

Fine lines - glass half empty

glass half full - (and I know it's on par with me saying "if I'd won the lottery")
If we had held on against Burton, and won, (which most considered likely) and took the corner we decided to try and play "keep ball in the corner" giving Burton the impression we were scared of being able to hold on opposed to Wolves going for it - 3 points instead of the 1
As bad as we were against Barnsley we all (mostly) saw the highlights on Sky Sports etc and we had a couple/few decent (ish) chances to score before they did - surely the game would have panned out differently had we put one of those away.

We'd be 2nd with the glass half full not 17th with the glass half empty

Fine lines - glass half empty

glass half full - (and I know it's on par with me saying "if I'd won the lottery")
If we had held on against Burton, and won, (which most considered likely) and took the corner we decided to try and play "keep ball in the corner" giving Burton the impression we were scared of being able to hold on opposed to Wolves going for it - 3 points instead of the 1
As bad as we were against Barnsley we all (mostly) saw the highlights on Sky Sports etc and we had a couple/few decent (ish) chances to score before they did - surely the game would have panned out differently had we put one of those away.

We'd be 2nd with the glass half full not 17th with the glass half empty

Don't forget the Ipswich penalty!

Ikeme - 8 - Quality when called upon. Made a stunning reaction save in the first half and then saved when Mitrovic went 1 on 1 (really should've scored). Made a few crucial claims from crosses as well.

Doherty - 8 - Back to his best after a shocking performance on Tuesday. The whole back four played really well collectively and Doherty gave Dummett real problems when he got forward. Linked up really well with Costa, nice play with Bodvarsson for the first goal and had one run in the second half where he nearly skinned their whole team but just lost it on the edge of their box.

Iorfa - 8 - Really composed performance from Big Dom. I admit I was feeling a little unsure about him at centre half after the Huddersfield game, the red card at Rotherham and his stinker on Tuesday but he was quality yesterday. Rarely troubled by anything Newcastle threw at him and part of a back 4 that looked like a solid unit.

Batth - 8.5 - Fantastic captain's performance from Danny. Organised the defence really well and put in a few crucial tackles. Him & Dom didn't put a foot wrong and snuffed out two quality forwards in Gayle & Mitrovic.

Borthwick-Jackson - 9 - How old is this boy again? Coolest head on the pitch. Up against one of the best wingers in the division in Matt Ritchie and he not only made him look average but also gave Anita all sorts of problems going forward. He just oozes class, that performance makes me so excited, not only as a Wolves fan but as an England fan as well. The kid can play.

Oniangue - 7.5 - Good performance from Prince, full of running, put in some strong tackles and picked some nice passes. Very rarely gave the ball away. Didn't get forward as much as I'd like to see him do but I think he could be a big player for us going this season.

Saiss - 9.5 MOTM - Dominant. Quick, strong, hard working, positions himself well, good eye for a pass and almost scored a lovely free kick which he bent over the wall left footed and nearly found the bottom corner. Really, really impressed by him, he was absolutely everywhere. Once I'd clocked on to just how good he is I spent a lot of time watching him specifically and he's such a clever player. He puts himself in the right places and every time a Newcastle player miscontrolled or misplaced a pass he reacted so quickly, you just see this old gold blur streaking across the pitch like a heat seeking missile. Part of the reason the back four looked so composed was that they had Saiss sweeping up behind them and slotting into full back positions if one bombs forward, it's something that Coady never does and it frustrates me so much. I think it was Dan that said if we're going to do anything this season Saiss will be key and I think he's spot on.

Edwards - 7.5 - Pretty much a mirror image of Oniangue on the other side of Saiss, maybe a little quieter. Did really well to put pressure on Perez in the build up to the second goal.

Costa - 8.5 - He had Dummett on toast all game and capped off a quality performance with a really nice finish. It was in all the way. So much fun to watch him & Teixeira dance past players as if they're not there. Should've really scored in the first half but can't really complain about anything else. There will always be a few that moan about him not being hard enough but he gets a hell of a lot of kicks and doesn't let it effect him, just gets straight back up and goes again. He was given a standing ovation by the away fans when he was subbed off and fully deserved it.

Bodvarsson - 8.5 - Hero. Typical Jon Dadi performance. Battled all game against two quality centre halves who will have woken up this morning battered and bruised after he worked both of them over. He's just the perfect striker for this league and this formation. Hit the bar in the first half, put in the cross for the first goal and linked up really well with Costa & Teixeira.

Teixeira - 7.5 - A lot quieter than Costa on the other side but still managed to show a few flashes of magic. Some really good interplay with CBJ down the left hand side. Such a useful little player, he can play so many different positions for us, I'd like to see him play more centrally but Zenga likes this 4-3-3.

Cavaleiro - 7 - Useful little cameo but nearly gifted Newcastle a route back into the game when he put Mitrovic through on goal. When Newcastle pushed forward at the end we pretty much left Ivan up top on his own and he roasted them on the break a few times, really unlucky not to score after one run when he blazed over the bar. Another one who just glides past players for fun.

Mason - 7 - The right sub at the right time. Put in a lot of work and nearly had a good chance on the break.

Coady - N/A - Wasn't on for long.

The fans were absolutely class as well. A very, very happy (and hungover) Wolf today, which I didn't think I would be after Tuesday's debacle.

Good to hear from those there - Saiss & CBJ sounded the standout performers (with a few other commendations) from the commentary, but not sure how accurate they are (they don't have a particularly great record) so pleased to find that this was the case.

Getting nearer to knowing what the best team is & now need to pick most each game with only 1 or 2 changes

Our best team IMO.

Ikeme

Doherty Iorfa Batth Borthwick-Jackson

Teixeira Saiss Oniangue

Costa Bodvarsson Cavaleiro​

With Silvio still to come in as well. The first XI looks really strong. Just got to get consistency and we could be flying.

Is it just me or does anybody else love it when we play with gold shorts? I don't know why but I really like them.

Thanks for the points breakdown Lycan. Seems that Saiss had a great game, just what we need.

The team is taking shape now, and as others have said, we've still got Dicko and Graham to come back.

IMO we're missing Dicko's goals and I've got this feeling that him and Bod will complement each other and tear it up.

Edwards possibly better suited to that deeper role, filling space, similar to how he plays for Wales. Though his limitations on the ball prevent better ball retention.

Fantastic review, Lycan. Thanks.

Sounds like Saiss could be the game-changer in this league. Looks like him, Batth (an effective defender at this level for all his limitations) and Bodvarsson may well form the spine of the team.

Our best team IMO.

Ikeme

Teixeira Saiss Oniangue

Based on previous reports maybe one of our other midfielders would be better than Tex in the midfield 3 as his defensive work isn't great. That might be different with Saiss around though.

Where is the stuff about Tex not doing the defensive work from? Every time I have seen him he has worked as hard as anyone when he hasn't got the ball.

Where is the stuff about Tex not doing the defensive work from? Every time I have seen him he has worked as hard as anyone when he hasn't got the ball.

Well I've seen a few people say he's not as effective as one of the midfield 3 and his better games have come when he's played further forward. Only evidence I have is his piss poor tackle before one of barnsleys goals but it just seemed the general view from stuff I've read.

Though he does try and play football in wrong areas of the field and sometimes goes for an extravagant flick when he should be putting his foot through the ball.

He's definitely a No.10 not a wide player.

Our best team IMO.

Ikeme

Teixeira Saiss Oniangue

Plus add Jordan Graham to that later in the season should give us a real chance

If Saiss is as good as that debut suggests then we can afford for Tex to be given licence to do the offensive and flash stuff. That is excellent news for us as a team.

When this settles down I think we really have a good side and can give anyone in the division a game.

Is it just me or does anybody else love it when we play with gold shorts? I don't know why but I really like them.

You do know that if this wasn't in a football context it would sound very weird :)

Back