• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle 1 - 2 Wolves: The Verdict.

I think we play like what we are - a mid table side. We're inconsistent, we see glimpses of class, but then we see games where we frustrate ourselves and get the basics wrong.

But you know what? I'm fine with that. I'd be really fucked off if we saw performances like Huddersfield on a regular basis but we really don't.

It's a hell of a step up from the championship, the pace of the game is relentless yet I'm seeing my team compete every week, sometimes with real success.

I think we're a couple of players short of where we'd like to be in the long term, particularly up top because seeing Traore attempting to play as a striker is like watching Piers Morgan attempting a black country accent. I dont think its realistic to expect Jimenez to play 90 minutes 38 times but he's so pivotal to the way we play.

I think our biggest failings thus far have been in the wide forward areas. The output has been poor - thank goodness Jota appears to have found some form recently, my MOTM today. But otherwise, we've been wasteful in those areas and I wouldn't be surprised to see us strengthen next month.

We didn't play particularly well today, but I don't think we were anywhere near as bad as was made out by some posters on the matchday thread.

I don't think we can persist with starting Traore tbh, he's only going to be of any use when we need a quick breakaway and he has space ahead of him. Seems pretty obvious to me that he's not going to improve in the way we all hoped he would - there's been no improvement in his tactical nous or control. We'd have been better off starting Leo.

The table makes for welcome reading. Not bad considering our poor run of results.

I think that the selection was questionable at least and said so that all our subs would be needed to rectify it, Jota is out of the doldrums and we won, in the end thats alll that matters but yes I agree with Jinky, we almost self harmed (an injury and we may well have been F$%£^D) but Its nearly MOTD 2 time so Lets all laugh at Rafa. Entitled T$£T (i have done my own swear filter)

Last edited:
In fairness to Jinks, who I reprimanded rather harshly in the matchday thread today, Nuno definitely did not sound impressed with us postmatch.

In fairness to Jinks, who I reprimanded rather harshly in the matchday thread today, Nuno definitely did not sound impressed with us postmatch.

I don't think anyone on this forum were under any illusions that we played well, we didn't.

But we weren't THAT bad.

I don't think anyone on this forum were under any illusions that we played well, we didn't.

But we weren't THAT bad.

Agreed. We only had two players that were well below par, IMO. Lots that were okay and then Jota who really looked good.

The word "disjointed" came up a lot in the matchday thread and I think that is pretty accurate for the period between Newcastle's goal and Moutinho coming on.

When Jota crossed the halfway line in the build-up to Doherty's winner there were 4 Geordies in their own half, and none of them deeper than the centre circle. Got exactly what their play deserved, defending like that in the 94th minute. Mugs

Edited for spelling

Sighed when I saw the team. I felt that Traore and Costa would be ineffective and that the ball would just keep bouncing back. Costas pass for the goal was about it for his positive contribution, Traore wasn't holding it up at all. Jota took his goal well and looked a threat all game. Much better when the changes were made. Correct red for me. I would need to see Boly elbow again. It didn't look much first glance but who knows.

Mike Dean still thinks every game is all about him. Fine for failing to control players as we got 5 cards?

Radio said it was six cards for a fine of £25k.

Watched it amongst the Newcastle fans in my local. Proudly wearing my Wolves shirt and erupting when we scored. It was wonderful! Luckily they know me well and they're a friendly bunch. Thought a draw would have been a fair result but in the last 10 minutes or so the extra man started to really show as we took control of the game. Jota was terrific today, and Jiminez too when he came on. The sending off was maybe a touch harsh, it could have been a yellow, but I know if it had been the other way round Rafa would have wanted a red card. Think Boly was lucky to be honest, clearly an elbow to the face. But we deserve some breaks and it couldn't have happened in a better game for me!

Costa was our only really poor performer today, thought he had a shockingly bad game. Needs dropping.

We’re 10th and our form and performances so far this season pretty much reflect that.
Newcastle only have themselves to blame on losing this one shocking defending on both goals, yedlins defendind leading upto his red card was laughable.
Once we put Moutinho on and moved MGW further forward we gained control and the last 10 minutes we’re one way traffic.

got my just eat order arriving in a minute have had a celebration pint or two. Life is good. In the morning I will read the NUFC forums and laugh. (a lot)

We weren't awful but I would certainly describe the performance as subpar even if we did win.

You can understand why Moutinho, Raul, and MGW came out the side even if they were fantastic - probably knackered and as we get into a more intensive spell of fixtures they will need the rest at points. Seemed an odd decision to start Traore (I've stated why I never think him appropriate for starting before) but even weirder as part of a fluid front three which he is clearly not capable of, and whenever he was the central forward it went badly. Think Cav would have worked better. Traore started decent to be fair but was poor afterwards, even if Helder was worse. Looks out of place every time I see him now which is a shame. I do like him but time is running out for him to put in a good performance as apart from an assist he did not contribute.

Nice goal by Jota but after Newcastle scored (Bennett fault for the FK followed by Coady?) we seemed out of sorts and struggled for the following 15 mins and it looked like it might go the way of Cardiff. Coady was really struggling against Rondon and needed help. We were back in the game by the end of the first-half but I did feel Newcastle had edged it slightly. Our attacking was poor - midfield totally bypassed and it was mainly lumped up to the forward line without aim.

Red card was the correct decision IMO - obvious goal-scoring opportunity denied. We didn't really take advantage of this however and it never felt like we had a man advantage when watching. Moutinho and MGW gave us a bit more drive from midfield when coming on, the former especially I thought did well for the short time he was on. Newcastle overcommited but well done Jota to create the opportunity and Doherty to get himself on the end of it. I think a draw would have been the fair result but I'm not complaining one bit.

Don't think the Boly 'elbow' was a foul either. Can't say I'm all that sympathetic to the barcodes though - can still remember when Mitrovic should have been sent off against us then scored in 2017 and the daylight robbery when they beat us 2-1 at Molineux in 2011/12 with the obvious penalty on O'Hara given as a FK and the last-minute goal ruled to have gone out of play when it had not.

Apart from Traore starting which I hope Nuno doesn't do again (happy to bin him off in Jan) the changes make sense so the criticism seems unnecessary. It does highlight our lack of depth when it comes to strikers though as we have no sufficient backup for Jiminez, we need something in Jan as Bonatini isn't good enough. Jota MOTM - he's back in form and great to see.

MATCH FACTS #NUFC have never lost in 6 previous #PL matches against Wolves.

Benitez has not lost any of his 22 home #PL matches against a promoted club.

Wolves are yet to score more than once in an away league fixture this season.

Newcastle also got battered 3-0 at home to West Ham last home game so despite the fairies owing them a win nothing happened.

And this is our first top division win at Newcastle since 1959 (not ever because football did not start in 1992). Combined with our win at St James' Park in 2016 under Zenga we can consider this curse #broken.

First time I’ve heard Nuno been asked “What exactly are you trying to do with Traore?” on MOTD2 by Waddle.

I am getting really annoyed with that stat about Newcastle never losing to us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE. Its true but also a bollocks thing as we have now won twice in a row at their joint.

I liked the clip on MOTD2 of Doc's run in full for the winner as you can see he ran round the back of Kenedy so he wouldn't see him and track his run.

Rafa is embarrassing himself here. Lascelles is slower than me, how on earth is he going to tackle Jota.

Always quire liked him, but showing himself to be a cunt.

Agree with the first bit.

Rafa's always been a cunt. Excuse master.

Agree with what most others have said (funny that)

Other bits though:

-Neves is below par right now. Not sure what it is, exactly...thought he had a few chances to get the ball across to Costa and Doc in space but didn't take them. Is he being over-cautious? He did seem further up the pitch at times than he has been though which is probably down to Saiss

-Think Vinagre deserves more credit. For a lad who's barely played a dozen senior games, he's way ahead of the curve. Was solid enough defensively, tracked his runners well, and got us forward in the 2nd half multiple times (the ball with the outside of his foot to release Jota was terrific)

-Agree that Coady was below par - we should've adjusted to Rondon far earlier as he had a bit of a rough time of it. Few dodgy/panicky moments as well which is unlike him. But, as also mentioned, he's one of the few who had any credit during our barren run.

-MGW didn't quite hit Wednesday's heights (though it would be unfair to expect that every week) but he was still good when he came on. Lost the ball a few times being over elaborate or attempting some very difficult passes - but hell, I'd rather he play his game and try those things, as he obviously has them in his locker.

-Moutinho with a superb cameo that really helped us put a lid on the game. At this moment right now, much as it might be sacrilidge, I'm not sure I'd start Neves next game. The Chelsea lineup looks our best option, as a whole across the XI, right now.

-To the 2 moaning old c^£^s who were sat on the row behind me - how your other halves haven't murdered you yet I'll never know. We've been playing like this for 18 months you daft sods, pay attention. Don't worry though, next time we're playing against 10 I'm sure we'll send everyone into the opponent's box for set pieces like you insisted we do every.single.time. Muppets.

L
I am getting really annoyed with that stat about Newcastle never losing to us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE. Its true but also a bollocks thing as we have now won twice in a row at their joint.

I know it’s like football didn’t exist before 1992 or outside the top flight. Since 1990 we’ve played there 10 times won 4, drew 3 lost3. The 3 defeats were in 92, 2011 and 2016 in the cup.

Interesting stat on Twitter that Matt Doherty has been involved in six PL goals this season: only defender in the PL with more is Marcos Alonso (8)

Think Alonso has scored a free kick too hasn't he? So has the advantage there that he is allowed to take them.

Back