• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (H) 28/10: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There were plenty of minor mistakes that compounded oneanother, as GON talked about last night. It started with where Gomes and Bouba were.

There were plenty of minor mistakes that compounded oneanother, as GON talked about last night. It started with where Gomes and Bouba were.
He explained this well. They were caught out by Bournemouth playing 2 holding midfield players so Gomes didn't know which to go to leaving Bouba having to cover him which opened us up. What is encouraging is that we did adjust to their formation and got to grips with it.

It's the wider pattern with Kilman, too many goals where he's not made a glaring error as such but he's simply half a yard away not impacting on anything (see also Palace away). He played well apart from that on Saturday.

He just didn't anticipate Solanke doing that first time, probably expected him to gather it in, or shoot first time in front of his body rather than letting it through. Had Kilman tried to make a challenge he'd have probably fouled him.

But Kilman's positioning was what meant he was in that situation.

I’d go with Lemina & Gomes from the start and drip feed Doyle in. How many times have we seen players have a brilliant showing off the bench but then be underwhelming when given a start? Not saying that will happen, but Lemina/Gomes are the first choice pairing for me.

Lovely to have options. Rest of the starting 11 picks itself to be fair, and it’ll be great to have Nelson back.

So Doc was one of those who had a late fitness test at the weekend.

Doesn't speak highly of Jonny as by the sounds of it Doc should not have played at all [Deutsch]shouldn't need an injury to have that opinion[Deutsch/]

LL would blush at being that late with the news Kenny. GON said it in his post match interview

I’d go with Lemina & Gomes from the start and drip feed Doyle in. How many times have we seen players have a brilliant showing off the bench but then be underwhelming when given a start? Not saying that will happen, but Lemina/Gomes are the first choice pairing for me

Doyle was impressive, but I feel you have factor in that much of his time on the pitch was against ten men

Doyle was impressive, but I feel you have factor in that much of his time on the pitch was against ten men
One things for certain, he has quality on the ball. But as you said, the extra man allowed him a lot of time, and the one area he lacks maybe is physicality, which wasn’t relevent against Bournemouth.

I’d be going lemina and Gomes against Newcastle, then adapt to how the games going

LL would blush at being that late with the news Kenny. GON said it in his post match interview
I only saw it mentioned this morning. Hadn't read anything from over the weekend as was busy doing other shit (mainly being ill and crying over how much it was going to cost to repair an issue with my chimney that means I have a leaky roof)

It's the wider pattern with Kilman, too many goals where he's not made a glaring error as such but he's simply half a yard away not impacting on anything (see also Palace away). He played well apart from that on Saturday.
Otherwise known as Paul Blades syndrome! So many goals we conceded when he was playing weren’t big mistakes but far too often he was the player nearest to the scorer. As the ball nestled in the net he’d throw his arms in the air and look around only to see all his teammates looking at him!

Not his fault entirely but he could have done much better. He was stood rooted to the spot and allowed Solanke to get in front of him.
He was goal side and Solanke didn’t get in front of him? The ball was behind him and he turned it in. Where exactly should he have been?

He was goal side and Solanke didn’t get in front of him? The ball was behind him and he turned it in. Where exactly should he have been?
The whole point of your positioning in and around the six yard box is to stop the ball coming to the striker along the ground and allowing him to get a shot at goal. Standing in between him and the goal isn't good enough, you're supposed to be in between him and the ball.

The whole point of your positioning in and around the six yard box is to stop the ball coming to the striker along the ground and allowing him to get a shot at goal. Standing in between him and the goal isn't good enough, you're supposed to be in between him and the ball.
That’s utter nonsense, sorry.

He is holding a position close to the forward, The ball is then played slightly behind Kilman and not really in the best place for Solanke. Solanke deserves a lot of credit for a clever finish. A lot there would have taken a touch or just swung their foot at it. I would be having a go at Kilman if either of those happened and he scored.
To be full on critical you could say he reacts too late to the pass towards Solanke but then he probably has no chance with the flicked finish anyway.
Trying to work out where he is meant to get inbetween the ball and the forward in this instance. Are you saying cut out the pass before it gets to him? That would be an insane move and the only other option is to cut Solanke in half and concede a penalty

I thought giving Billing acres of space in our box was more of a factor than Kilman in their goal

Flipping away from the point of this thread but would love to know how he was was meant to get between the man and ball on this one. He can't step into the space as there is a runner appearing (left to do so by Gomes I think). All he can do is mark Solanke as tight as possible.

1698158318741.png

Solanke gets the ball and Kilman is doing pretty much the right thing here. Tight and stopped the instant shot/touch and shot. Leaving him 2 options - obvious one is laying it off to yet another unmarked Bournemouth player or try a clever flick. Superb finish for me and the fault lies in multiple places from a Wolves pov but not Max on this one. Plenty this season where it is his fault but for this one that is just blaming him for blaming sake IMO. Once that ball is played in it is all credit to the finish.

1698158484500.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back