• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (H) 28/10: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Decisions to be made.

Still think three at the back is the right way for this one (there definitely are fixtures where it isn't) but midfield is the question. Hard to see him leaving Lemina out but Bouba played well (and is in good form), Doyle was superb when he came on at Bournemouth, and the pre-existing partnership with Gomes (who admittedly didn't have his best day on Saturday) was decent. Take your pick. Let's assume Bellegarde isn't a starting option, whatever it is that's wrong with him.

Tough game for them on Wednesday in Dortmund and all the talk is that Tonali is very likely to have played his last PL game for some time. Now they're obviously a good team - their results for nearly two years aren't an accident - but they're far from unbeatable. Let's face it, if Wolves signed any of Dan Burn, Sean Longstaff or Jacob Murphy, none of us would be turning cartwheels. Pressure off for us to an extent with the position we've put ourselves in.

-----------------------------Sa-----------------------------

-------------Kilman---------Dawson------Toti-----------------

Semedo-----------Lemina-------Doyle------------Ait-Nouri

------------Neto----------Cunha--------Hwang------------------

2022/23: D 1-1 (H), L 1-2 (A)
2021/22: W 2-1 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2020/21: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2019/20: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2018/19: D 1-1 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2016/17: L 0-1 (H), W 2-0 (A), L 0-2 (A, LC)
2011/12: L 1-2 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2010/11: D 1-1 (H), L 1-4 (A)
2003/04: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2002/03: W 3-2 (H, FAC)

Hopefully on the back of a tough game against Dortmund we'll have a chance of an upset. But make no mistake, their form is very good, and attacking wise they are excellent. Plenty of players chipping in with goals and they can rotate players in midfield and barely miss a beat. Their movement off the ball, the pace with which they attack: those things are our kryptonite. I'd take a draw.

We can turn our noses up at Murphy and Longstaff, but they are both playing very well when they get the opportunity. Murphy was probably their best player against Palace, their fans love him.

Agree 3 atb for this one, on the whole the starting 11 picks itself but as DW says we gave some excellent options at midfield.
Is Doyle athletic enough to combat Newcastles style? Lemina surely comes straight back in?
Bouba has done well, does Gomes need a rest?
I'm hoping GON has the answers to these questions.

4 points would be an incredible return from.those 2 gamss.

Would take 3 right now though.

For some nostalgia, have one of the lowest quality Wolves hat-tricks ever (nearly as bad as Adam Proudlock at Bradford in 2001):

Agree 3 atb for this one, on the whole the starting 11 picks itself but as DW says we gave some excellent options at midfield.
Is Doyle athletic enough to combat Newcastles style? Lemina surely comes straight back in?
Bouba has done well, does Gomes need a rest?
I'm hoping GON has the answers to these questions.
I agree with playing Doyle. We don't really need two DMs in front of 3 CBs.

3 at the back is nailed on for this tie .

Gomes or Doyle or Traore............isn't it a nice problem to have for starters .

I'd stick with Gomes .

Not losing is important , definitely would take the point . We're on a nice little run .

Annoyingly, they're quite good.

That being said, I do have a feeling at the minute they're flat track bullies. Lost to City and Liverpool who are better than them and lost at Brighton who are probably their (current) level. I think their next glass ceiling will be winning games against those teams which is where replacing the likes of Burn, Murphy, Longstaff and Lascelles comes in - as well as they've performed till now.

It'll be hard but if anybody saw the bloodbath of Traore against Burn you'd hope Neto could get some joy against him, and Trippier isn't getting any younger so we will have opportunities if we can get Neto and Cunha on the ball in transition.

I suspect a Man Utd, good performance but narrow defeat.

Most of that is on the back of one game, the ridiculous drubbing of Sheffield United.
Maybe, maybe not. They've also scored 4 against Palace (could easily have been another 8), 5 past Villa, not forgetting 4 against PSG. The only games they've failed to score have been at Man City and at Milan. So it isn't entirely down to one game. They are right up there as the best attacking side in the PL. Unfortunately.

So they've scored 17 in three games, then 7 in in the other 6. I suspect that those stats in the graphic are likely unsustainable over the course of the rest of the season (based on those other 6 league games) also when (admittedly only a couple of occasions) I've seen them this season they've been meh to say the least.

Saying all that i still expect them to beat us on Saturday.

Shutting down Trippier will be key, in the same way as shutting down Neto will be for them.

If we keep giving goals away like we did last Saturday where Kilman was a statute , then we're definitely going to lose .

Kilman chose the wrong starting position and made things worse with his stance when the ball came across for the goal . There are times when I watch Kilman where I wonder if he ever listened years ago when being taught basic centre half responsibilities when defending .

Man City rarely score a high number of goals in matches , but have a huge % of possession . Newcastle score a lot , or at least are doing so right now . A few weeks ago they drew 2 - 2 with West Ham away , so that gives us some hope .

A Man City performance is needed where each and every player is switched on with a human wall at the back , the likes of which kept Haaland quiet .

Newcastle goals scored column is hugely padded by the destruction of Sheffield United.

They are good but nowhere near Man City, who we beat.

The goal on Saturday wasn’t remotely Kilman’s fault. The need to blame him for every goal is just silly.
Not his fault entirely but he could have done much better. He was stood rooted to the spot and allowed Solanke to get in front of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back