• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (H) 28/8: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We'll see, I'm not saying they're crap by any means, it just seems after a very good performance against City they're being talked up quite a lot. I certainly don't think their players as a whole are any better than ours, obviously it looks currently like Howe is a better coach.
Their form since January says they are far, far better than you're giving them credit for. They could easily be top 6 this season.

I'd say Collins and Kilman are already better than what they have.
Although they've started a bit average, our full backs would surely get in their first 11?
Admit I'm taking a flyer with not much evidence that Nunes will be as good Guimares.

You think semedo is better than Trippier?

No they really aren't already better, Schar has been consistently good for them the last 5 years. I'm not a fan of Botman, I think he's slow but they paid a lot of money for him, more than we did for Collins. Kilman will be the best of the lot, whether he is already is debatable.

In pure simplistic terms, our players probably have a higher overall rating on FIFA but they have better chemistry and someone better holding the controller. And the person holding the controller is the most important factor by a margin.

In pure simplistic terms, our players probably have a higher overall rating on FIFA but they have better chemistry and someone better holding the controller. And the person holding the controller is the most important factor by a margin.
That'd fair.

Pope, Trippier, Guimaraes and Wilson (for the 10 games a year he is fit) are all better than who would play in our first 11. Add ASM for the half a dozen games a year he's on. Beyond that it's management and tactics which make them better. With a like for like manager I think we'd finish above them.

You think semedo is better than Trippier?

No they really aren't already better, Schar has been consistently good for them the last 5 years. I'm not a fan of Botman, I think he's slow but they paid a lot of money for him, more than we did for Collins. Kilman will be the best of the lot, whether he is already is debatable.
Well I didn't say Semedo is better than Trippier, all our fbs are better than Targett and Burn.
Schar isn't terrible but he's made quite a few errors over the years, that may of course be down to the dross he's had to play with.
Keepers are about even imo.
Neves would walk in to their team. Joelinton is getting a lot of praise but I've not seen enough, would probably still prefer Moutinho.
Even with the small amount I've seen of Guedes would prefer him over Almiron or Willock.
I like Wilson but he's as robust as a dunked hobnob.
ASM can be electric but he also goes missing a lot, was appalling at against us last season.
The main advantage over us is in the coaching depth, which has been already said

Well I didn't say Semedo is better than Trippier, all our fbs are better than Targett and Burn.
Schar isn't terrible but he's made quite a few errors over the years, that may of course be down to the dross he's had to play with.
Keepers are about even imo.
Neves would walk in to their team. Joelinton is getting a lot of praise but I've not seen enough, would probably still prefer Moutinho.
Even with the small amount I've seen of Guedes would prefer him over Almiron or Willock.
I like Wilson but he's as robust as a dunked hobnob.
ASM can be electric but he also goes missing a lot, was appalling at against us last season.
The main advantage over us is in the coaching depth, which has been already said

You only play 2 fullbacks if one is Trippier you only get one more so it doesn't really matter.

The fact you say you haven't seen enough of someone then say you prefer one of our players just backs up the fact you are being biased.

Pope is miles better than Sa.

You only play 2 fullbacks if one is Trippier you only get one more so it doesn't really matter.

The fact you say you haven't seen enough of someone then say you prefer one of our players just backs up the fact you are being biased.

Pope is miles better than Sa.
No doubt I'm biased, I disagree Pope is miles better, imv Sa is a better 'sweeper keeper' but of course the trade off is his rushes of blood. We're going round in circles here so best just to leave it at that.

We'll see, I'm not saying they're crap by any means, it just seems after a very good performance against City they're being talked up quite a lot. I certainly don't think their players as a whole are any better than ours, obviously it looks currently like Howe is a better coach.
No coincidence they’re fifth in the form charts since turn of the year. Howe to his credit has got them playing well and organised.

I can’t say I’ve sat and watched them like I have us, so find it hard to draw comparisons on player ability. But to say they’re got 1 good player is definitely wide of the mark

I don’t think Trippier is better than Semedo at most things, but man can he hit a dead ball.

Has more attacking threat from open play aswell and defensively there isn't a lot on it either way.

No coincidence they’re fifth in the form charts since turn of the year. Howe to his credit has got them playing well and organised.

I can’t say I’ve sat and watched them like I have us, so find it hard to draw comparisons on player ability. But to say they’re got 1 good player is definitely wide of the mark
Tbf the original post was a little bit tongue in cheek, I kinda alluded to that when I mentioned I'd just got in from the pub.
But I do wonder if people are over rating them a bit, like you say 5th on form for the year isn't to be sniffed at though.

Their full first team lost to Cambridge United remember

Tbf the original post was a little bit tongue in cheek, I kinda alluded to that when I mentioned I'd just got in from the pub.
But I do wonder if people are over rating them a bit, like you say 5th on form for the year isn't to be sniffed at though.
Maybe, but they’re in the group of teams (ourselves included) who are mid table but a strong 8 or 10 game run puts you in European contention.

There likely isn’t too much in the teams based on player ability, but Newcastle have been on the up since the turn of the year whereas we are the opposite, albeit with renewed hope currently

What is also to be considered is that there is a real buzz and confidence around the team and the whole city since their takeover. The dynamic at the club has had an earthquake like shift. There is a belief about them that doesn't just come from Eddie Howe, it's a whole feeling around the region. Living amongst it, it's almost tangible the change in atmosphere and mood.

I think it's ignorance to dismiss Newcastle, they are clearly a good side who's form not only kept them in the league last season bit has seen a good start to this.

We won't win this game, Howe has done better than I'd thought (or wished) they will be the ones pushing the top 6 this season imo. We need to focus on our own game.

They're basically where we were after getting Europe in that first season back. A proper, genuine, and not-wholly-unreasonable feeling that they're going to shake the top six up. They'll be looking at us/West ham etc as the games they need to win to achieve their goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back