• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Newcastle (H) 28/8: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Huuuuuuuge game.

Taking the table from 1st January - Newcastle are 5th. They were very impressive indeed against City. This is a big test and we need to step it up, none of this "it needs time to gel" stuff. If we're getting battered I can see it getting toxic quite quickly.

-------------------------------------Sa-------------------------------

Semedo--------------Collins-------------Kilman---------Ait-Nouri

------------------Nunes---------Moutinho------Neves--------------

----------------Guedes---------Raul-------------Neto-------------------

2021/22: W 2-1 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2020/21: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2019/20: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2018/19: D 1-1 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2016/17: L 0-1 (H), W 2-0 (A), L 0-2 (A, LC)
2011/12: L 1-2 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2010/11: D 1-1 (H), L 1-4 (A)
2003/4: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2002/3: W 3-2 (H, FAC)

Time has gone and past for a “jolly good effort” but with nothing to show, absolute minimum required from this a draw.
Hard to argue with DW side it’s about as good a side as we can put out.
Reality is I think it’ll be another hard afternoon not much evidence backs for a positive result I’m afraid.

Unless Jimenez suddenly becomes the pre 2021 version of himself, then I see no different to previous results. Draw at best.

They’re signing Isak for 59m.. let’s hope it isn’t done by Saturday!

Dans team for me

Unless Jimenez suddenly becomes the pre 2021 version of himself, then I see no different to previous results. Draw at best.

He shouldn't need to be. We've got all this attacking talent, signed a genuine superstar in midfield. All Raul needs to do is play the width of the box and finish all these chances we allegedly create.

DWs selection is our current best 11 imo, need to be brave and play a similar style to last night's first half.
Think Callum Wilson is injured isn't he?

I just have the feeling that RAN is going to be at fault for a goal per game. Jonny is more than capable of getting into the final third, but I do get your point.

I just have the feeling that RAN is going to be at fault for a goal per game. Jonny is more than capable of getting into the final third, but I do get your point.
Don't get me wrong, I'm one of the biggest Jonny fan boys out there, just think currently RAN is the better option......Jonny is always there if he's having a mare or runs out of gas by 70 minutes.

Huuuuuuuge game.

Taking the table from 1st January - Newcastle are 5th. They were very impressive indeed against City. This is a big test and we need to step it up, none of this "it needs time to gel" stuff. If we're getting battered I can see it getting toxic quite quickly.

-------------------------------------Sa-------------------------------

Semedo--------------Collins-------------Kilman---------Ait-Nouri

------------------Nunes---------Moutinho------Neves--------------

----------------Guedes---------Raul-------------Neto-------------------

2021/22: W 2-1 (H), L 0-1 (A)
2020/21: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2019/20: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2018/19: D 1-1 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2016/17: L 0-1 (H), W 2-0 (A), L 0-2 (A, LC)
2011/12: L 1-2 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2010/11: D 1-1 (H), L 1-4 (A)
2003/4: D 1-1 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2002/3: W 3-2 (H, FAC)
I feel like I would like to see Nunes more central.

At Spurs on Saturday (I wasn’t there last night) he seemed to get shoved wide quite a lot and it felt as though he wasn’t as involved as he might be had he started in the middle.

No idea how that works with Joao and Ruben but we should probably be playing him in his strongest, most effective, position.

It will be DW's team but i'd be tempted to play Adama against Targett/Burn because they have history with him and neither have coped well. I'd start Guedes the other side as he looked last week like he's got goals in him. Also while knowing it's likely to go massively wrong i'd quite like to see Podence in the 10 rather than the midfield 3 but understand the 3 is probably the safe option.

It will be DW's team but i'd be tempted to play Adama against Targett/Burn because they have history with him and neither have coped well. I'd start Guedes the other side as he looked last week like he's got goals in him. Also while knowing it's likely to go massively wrong i'd quite like to see Podence in the 10 rather than the midfield 3 but understand the 3 is probably the safe option.
I could see Part A if Adama actually gives a shit.

No ta to Part B if it's all the same, thanks :D

I could see Part A if Adama actually gives a shit.

No ta to Part B if it's all the same, thanks :D
Adama actually looked like he gave a shit last night tbf although he didn't really in his appearances off the bench. Understand the reaction to Podence in the 10 but i really think we need a player in there with this Jimenez and he's the most suited to it. As i said earlier he is inconsistent and on top of that very frustrating most games.

Aye, Dan's team is the one. Point at the absolute minimum, they're a good side and as pointed out have been bordering on Champions League form since the new year, so difficult to put it in 'must win' territory for me

I'd take Podence as in that role to be fair, on the proviso that some of the others would make a few runs from time to time so it was just Podence dropping into space and flicking it off to no-one all the time. The flat midfield three did well to control the game against Spurs but they bought precious little threat to go with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back