• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Norwich 2 - 0 Wolves: The "It's probably not as bad as it seems" Verdict Thread.

Dicko is brilliant and I think is key to us progressing, but I don't think anyone is going to show serious interest just yet. He's had an injury hit season so far (8 goals in 19 starts is a great effort mind) and is only 22. Had he not got injured I do think he would have 13/14 goals which in a team who struggles to create a lot would be excellent.

Sako we will have to replace and may be expensive to replace but I think Dicko has showed to be more important and if I had to pick between the two it would be Nouha.

Issue at the moment is that we have a formation that has worked well for us, but we don't have the AM to do it as Edwards is pants, nor are the centre midfielders playing brilliantly. It's easy for us to put Afobe in but as it appeared yesterday it completely lost us the midfield battle. I wish Jacobs could magically become the player from last season again but we are stuck in the middle a bit at the moment.

"That was the most complete performance - the best 90 minutes - since I arrived" - Norwich boss Alex Neil
a similar reaction from Steve McLaren after Derby played us off the park. I'm sure Mark Warburton said something along those lines when they done us 4-0.

recurring theme teams seem to save their best performance of the season until they play us. Can it be that or are we as mediocre as we seem to be in some of the games this season.

I think this is just a young team. Young teams are inconsistent, so we have to accept that there will be bad days as well as good days. what we can take confidence from is that the likes of Iorfa, Hause, Evans, Price, Afobe, Dicko are all young and have promising futures. If we are still in the Championship next year, they will all be stronger for it and be better players.

Its maybe a little naive to go into games especially away from home with two strikers and two wingers and expect consistent results. Even dropping a player off the front can leave you massively exposed against those teams who look to use and control the centre of the pitch.

I think this is just a young team. Young teams are inconsistent, so we have to accept that there will be bad days as well as good days. what we can take confidence from is that the likes of Iorfa, Hause, Evans, Price, Afobe, Dicko are all young and have promising futures. If we are still in the Championship next year, they will all be stronger for it and be better players.

Very well said and I certainly hope it turns out that way too

As do I! We have to continue improving the team around them to help their development too!

This could we'll be the first time in many years where we aren't battling for something with 8-9 games to go.

First time since I started supporting Wolves for me! Then again there's always going to be that faint faint hope that we storm into the play-offs with an excellent run at the end even though it's probably not gonna happen

If I was Garry Monk I would be looking at Dicko as a replacement for Gomis, mobile, strong and a good eye for goal. He's shown he works well with wingers and better with a true #10 behind him and would thrive with Sigurdsson.

He needs work but then Bony looked like he couldn't trap a wet bag of cement when he first came into the PL.

I think Dicko and Sako would be a massive loss to us and means we would be looking at getting 2 replacements just to keep to the standard we have set this season.

First time since I started supporting Wolves for me! Then again there's always going to be that faint faint hope that we storm into the play-offs with an excellent run at the end even though it's probably not gonna happen

Watford play Norwich next week, so we could be well in contention again if we win.

If I was Garry Monk I would be looking at Dicko as a replacement for Gomis, mobile, strong and a good eye for goal. He's shown he works well with wingers and better with a true #10 behind him and would thrive with Sigurdsson.

He needs work but then Bony looked like he couldn't trap a wet bag of cement when he first came into the PL.

I think Dicko and Sako would be a massive loss to us and means we would be looking at getting 2 replacements just to keep to the standard we have set this season.

I agree with this once Sako goes I think Dicko will look to go to a team that looks to play more football in and around the opponents box. Likewise McDonald and Jacobs could also be receptive to moves for the same reason.

When Sako is good, he is very, very good and when he is bad, he is horrid. He is occasionally our best player and at other times, he is a'passenger'. He is not 'premier League' material, as, no doubt, a Premier League club will discover next season. Dicko, on the other hand, is promising and he has a bright future ahead of him, but he needs a great deal more support from a better winger than RVLP and better attacking midfielders. Iorfa, Batth and Hause are also promising. My jury is out on Price, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt and stick with him. I'd say we need £10 - 15 million to strengthen our squad (including a replacement for Sako) in the close-season, if we are ever going to mount a realistic challenge for promotion. CB/AM/Winger/ Striker/FB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We won't buy a centre half, no chance. We have five already given that Iorfa and Hause (especially the latter) are more naturally suited to playing there than at full back.

There's no way we'll spend £15m in the summer and no way we need to spend that much either.

We also don't bred a cb or a fb unless we sell someone. A new number 10 and a replacement for sako are the priorities.

When Sako is good, he is very, very good and when he is bad, he is horrid. He is occasionally our best player and at other times, he is a'passenger'. He is not 'premier League' material, as, no doubt, a Premier League club will discover next season. Dicko, on the other hand, is promising and he has a bright future ahead of him, but he needs a great deal more support from a better winger than RVLP and better attacking midfielders. Iorfa, Batth and Hause are also promising. My jury is out on Price, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt and stick with him. I'd say we need £10 - 15 million to strengthen our squad (including a replacement for Sako) in the close-season, if we are ever going to mount a realistic challenge for promotion. CB/AM/Winger/ Striker/FB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely no chance whatsoever.
I also wouldn't judge on money being spent.

10-15 million???

At the back we are pretty well stocked. I know there were calls to go in for Maguire (more so on MolMix I think) recently but Hause is going to be a very good centre back I feel and Iorfa looks like he could be very good there. At right back we have Iorfa and Doherty is more than capable back up even if he does lack in some areas. Golbourne is one of the best full backs in the division. i think thats the one areas we don't need to strengthen urgently.

We could do with a midfielder, attacking player and another forward but we don't have to spend shitloads of money. It just has to be the right player that suits our needs

In the summer...we need a number ten, a midfield general and a replacement for Sako

10-15 million???

At the back we are pretty well stocked. I know there were calls to go in for Maguire (more so on MolMix I think) recently but Hause is going to be a very good centre back I feel and Iorfa looks like he could be very good there. At right back we have Iorfa and Doherty is more than capable back up even if he does lack in some areas. Golbourne is one of the best full backs in the division. i think thats the one areas we don't need to strengthen urgently.

We could do with a midfielder, attacking player and another forward but we don't have to spend shitloads of money. It just has to be the right player that suits our needs

Defensively the only area that worries me is Batth, who I think is struggling a little.

Centre midfield and in all of the wide areas we need strengthening over time. I would hate a sudden influx of 6-7 players as it simply doesn't work.

Money doesn't concern me, the right player as you rightly IMO state is the most important thing.

Goalkeepers/ defenders we are fine, not many that are loads better than Batth/Stearman and Hause and EEL look good prospects. Forwards we are fine, good as any in the division. For me updates are central midfield and replacement for Sako. Sako is way over-rated, far too inconsistent with many more poor performances than good, thought he'd turned the corner at the start of the season as he was excellent but seems to have fallen back, not scored since October and only 3 assists all season, the only positive thing about him is gives balance on the left as we don't have any alternatives, we either need a replacement or at the very least some-one who can push him for his spot.

The central midfielder and 'Sako replacement' could come from our youth system. Graham, Eusebio, Torras, Weeks, Ortega, etc approaching the age where they'll need first team action soon. Maybe even a last chance for Zele if he gets over his latest injury set back.

Not sure why, but once Graham is back to full fitness I have a feeling he will join the first team squad.

Was it Bulderdash who used to go to academy games from on here? i used to enjoy his reports, I have heard nothing about Ortega, Torras and Weeks seem to be the pairing (and Kellerman) in the u21s in midfield.

Back