• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Nuno to leave Wolves

When I think about that 3-2 game against Spurs at WHL and how the narrative has changed since then I honestly feel like I'm living in some dystopian footballing hellscape.

4000 Wolves fans, still hanging from the party in Barcelona, belting out 'Nuno's the special one' into an emptying WHL. Now they've got him, we've got Bruno Lage and we're not that bothered about it?

I fucking hate it.

I know, football and life change quickly and cruelly sometimes. You have to react to what's happening in the here and now too though.

The club and its fans are the constant, as much as players and managers are loved but transient

If Spurs had replaced Pochettino with Nuno instead of Mourinho though, there wouldn't have been this reaction from their fans. And we'd have been devastated!

Agree on what Levy said, even Nuno at his best with us wasn't really that (even if I still enjoyed watching us, we were a tactically very good team), so it's not going to go down well in that sense considering the season we just had.

I think he will surprise people though even if it shouldn't really be a surprise just because people can't look past the last season.

I think he will surprise people though even if it shouldn't really be a surprise just because people can't look past the last season.

I don't think it's a case of 'not looking past last season', more facing up to it as reality.

It formed a quarter of his tenure here, we should acknowledge that rather than sweeping it under the carpet because it doesn't fit the narrative (which last season was frankly close to messianic!)

I don't think it's a case of 'not looking past last season', more facing up to it as reality.

It formed a quarter of his tenure here, we should acknowledge that rather than sweeping it under the carpet because it doesn't fit the narrative (which last season was frankly close to messianic!)
This bit is a bit silly, so we should see year during a pandemic, with no pre-season and injuries to our best players that as a better idea of his abilities rather than the 3 years before that which brought our best times in decades? I don't understand it at all.

I'm not sure even prime Nuno/Wolves performances would go down to well at Spurs tbh; they want to control games with the ball, and that's not something he's ever done (not counting the Championship obviously, as the resource available was ridiculous compared to the rest). I just don't see it as a good fit stylistically, particularly given they've just got rid of Jose and wanted a change of direction.

That said, Mendes has played an absolute blinder for his mate (and his bank balance, no doubt) if he gets Nuno in at Spurs

This bit is a bit silly, so we should see year during a pandemic, with no pre-season and injuries to our best players that as a better idea of his abilities rather than the 3 years before that which brought our best times in decades? I don't understand it at all.

I haven't at any point said last season weighs heavier than previous seasons, only that it needs to be considered, and Spurs fans will rightly consider it as part of his record. Just like we're considering Bruno's final season at Benfica (also during Covid) as part of his abilities as well as his excellent first season.

We can make all the excuses we like in order to keep Nuno spotless, but last season teams still won titles, got relegated and managers were sacked and appointed

I'm not sure even prime Nuno/Wolves performances would go down to well at Spurs tbh; they want to control games with the ball, and that's not something he's ever done (not counting the Championship obviously, as the resource available was ridiculous compared to the rest). I just don't see it as a good fit stylistically, particularly given they've just got rid of Jose and wanted a change of direction.

That said, Mendes has played an absolute blinder for his mate (and his bank balance, no doubt) if he gets Nuno in at Spurs
That is fair, but I think he will look to dominate more knowing the job spec and it will happen naturally - they will have better players than most teams. Where he might improve Spurs is in the bigger games.

I think more rides on whether he's had the chance to rest and reflect. He needs to come back into this refreshed.

Mendes hasn't had to do much on this one. the new DoF at Spurs loves Nuno and wanted him at Juve. Easier than normal to add a few more mill to his bank accunt

Going over old ground here, as I said it when he was first linked to Spurs - but Nuno will be fine there if their fans give him a chance.

He'll get them organised at the back and he has better options in attack then he ever had here - plus they'll back him in the window. He'll have them competing in the bigger games and they won't get beaten cheaply as often against the lesser sides in the division.

I'm gutted he's going there and I'm gutted we're playing them so early because you just know what the reaction will be if "Nuno's Spurs do over Bruno's Wolves". Not looking forward to that one bit.

I'm gutted we're playing them so early
Gets it out of the way early doors if nothing else.

Be bastard odd rocking up at Molineux and seeing Nuno walk to the away bench though.

Mendes hasn't had to do much on this one. the new DoF at Spurs loves Nuno and wanted him at Juve. Easier than normal to add a few more mill to his bank accunt
I wonder if the DoF has Mendes as his agent? Do they even have agents!?!

As I've said before, he's the only ever Wolves manager I've seen who I didn't want to go (some of them I still liked and respected on a personal level, but in football terms it was overdue).

It's pretty rare for a club to sack a manager - we did sack him - and then a club who finished a fair way above them go and snap him up. Let alone when Club B is miles bigger than Club A on every conceivable metric.

It's an odd situation.

Without any disrespect intended to Nuno, it's pretty obvious that he's a desperation appointment for Spurs- doesn't fit the profile they were looking for in the slightest, and apparently behind half a dozen managers in terms of their preference.

I think he'll do a job there, but there's not really any denying that they've got him because he was available more than the club being passionate about his appointment.

It's pretty rare for a club to sack a manager - we did sack him - and then a club who finished a fair way above them go and snap him up. Let alone when Club B is miles bigger than Club A on every conceivable metric.

It's an odd situation.
it would have been an odder situation if Nuno was their Number 1 target but he seems to have fallen in behind Conte, Fonseca, Gattuso, The bloke from Ajax whose name escapes me, Potter and a couple of others.

I love Nuno but I think Spurs have royally fucked their search so much it was coming down to Nuno or giving it to Ryan Mason again. Utterly flapped their way through their recruitment process.

I wonder if the DoF has Mendes as his agent? Do they even have agents!?!
Not sure about his agent but he clearly has strong links with Mendes. The 2 managers who agreed deals then walked away since his arrival were both Mendes clients and now Nuno.

it would have been an odder situation if Nuno was their Number 1 target but he seems to have fallen in behind Conte, Fonseca, Gattuso, The bloke from Ajax whose name escapes me, Potter and a couple of others.

I love Nuno but I think Spurs have royally fucked their search so much it was coming down to Nuno or giving it to Ryan Mason again. Utterly flapped their way through their recruitment process.
Jürgen Klinsmann hasn't had a great week or so. Obviously yesterday's game and he said publicly previously on BBC that he'd like to take the job. No voicemails received...

I think there was a lot of poor football well before that compacted pre-season, personally, I'd go back at least to the start of 2020 for things being increasingly negative and uninspiring to watch.

I think there was a lot of poor football well before that compacted pre-season, personally, I'd go back at least to the start of 2020 for things being increasingly negative and uninspiring to watch.
I'm talking post pandemic. We were sluggish in 'project restart' for definite but didn't give up many chances and had quality to win games mostly.

Before everything stopped we've just beaten Spurs 3-2 at their place in a thrilling game! Think we had a couple of games where we looked tired at the start of February against United in particular but largely had been our usual selves under Nuno.

Back