• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Nuno to leave Wolves

People overstate how good we were to watch in the first place, without a doubt. We had moments but we were rarely ever dominant in terms of possession, we tended to sit off in the Premier League always. We never ever batter teams. All of these games were under Nuno in the Premier League, pre-Covid:

Wolves 0-2 Watford
Wolves 0-2 Huddersfield
Cardiff 2-1 Wolves
Wolves 0-2 Crystal Palace
Wolves 1-1 Newcastle
Huddersfield 1-0 Wolves
Burnley 2-0 Wolves
Southampton 3-1 Wolves
Wolves 0-0 Brighton
Wolves 1-1 Burnley
Everton 3-2 Wolves
Wolves 2-5 Chelsea
Newcastle 1-1 Wolves
Wolves 1-1 Sheff Utd
Watford 2-1 Wolves
Wolves 1-1 Newcastle
Wolves 0-0 Brighton

All tepid stuff at best, outright shite at other times (Huddersfield away is one of the worst games I've ever seen). It's a decent chunk of our pre-March 2020 PL games.

We were a decent team but the margins between 7th and 13th are pretty thin. You then take our best player and often only goal threat out of the equation and you end up where we were.

It wasn't like we went from being Arsenal 2004 to Stoke 2011 overnight. We've never been that exciting or pleasing on the eye.

Cardiff away was when Raul look genuinly shit. Hands down his worst performance in a Wolves shirt.
Outside of that, Huddersfield at home for the worst game from that list (didn't see the away thank god)

People overstate how good we were to watch in the first place, without a doubt. We had moments but we were rarely ever dominant in terms of possession, we tended to sit off in the Premier League always. We never ever batter teams. All of these games were under Nuno in the Premier League, pre-Covid:

Wolves 0-2 Watford
Wolves 0-2 Huddersfield
Cardiff 2-1 Wolves
Wolves 0-2 Crystal Palace
Wolves 1-1 Newcastle
Huddersfield 1-0 Wolves
Burnley 2-0 Wolves
Southampton 3-1 Wolves
Wolves 0-0 Brighton
Wolves 1-1 Burnley
Everton 3-2 Wolves
Wolves 2-5 Chelsea
Newcastle 1-1 Wolves
Wolves 1-1 Sheff Utd
Watford 2-1 Wolves
Wolves 1-1 Newcastle
Wolves 0-0 Brighton

All tepid stuff at best, outright shite at other times (Huddersfield away is one of the worst games I've ever seen). It's a decent chunk of our pre-March 2020 PL games.

We were a decent team but the margins between 7th and 13th are pretty thin. You then take our best player and often only goal threat out of the equation and you end up where we were.

It wasn't like we went from being Arsenal 2004 to Stoke 2011 overnight. We've never been that exciting or pleasing on the eye.
It wasn't that we were amazing or thrilling to watch, it was that tactically we were largely an interesting team to watch who were capable of being very exciting too. Quite a lot of those games are ones where we struggled to break down a low block, rather than us being negative or boring ourselves.

I think you downplay our 7th place finishes. We should have finished in the top six in the second season, we were extremely unlucky not to really. We massively dropped off in performance last season, for many reasons, we didn't finish 13th because of fine margins, it was because we were a lot poorer than the previous two seasons in all aspects.

Oh, I found us interesting too. It wasn't like watching a Pulis or Warnock team. Just the narrative is odd, we didn't abandon our swashbuckling tendencies because we didn't have them in the first place. And let's see how special Leicester are without Vardy, let's say. Or have a look at Villa's results when Grealish was out.

I wouldn't argue we deserved to finish much (if any) higher last season but what I'm saying is that often there isn't a massive gap in circumstances making you have that kind of swing in position. And we had a huge gap - in our final game of the season all four of our first choice attackers were injured. How many goals do people think we are going to score in that situation?

We'd have finished above Spurs without Covid as Son and Kane were out for the season.

Last edited:
Oh, I found us interesting too. It wasn't like watching a Pulis or Warnock team. Just the narrative is odd, we didn't abandon our swashbuckling tendencies because we didn't have them in the first place. And let's see how special Leicester are without Vardy, let's say. Or have a look at Villa's results when Grealish was out.

I wouldn't argue we deserved to finish much (if any) higher last season but what I'm saying is that often there isn't a massive gap in circumstances making you have that kind of swing in position.

We'd have finished above Spurs without Covid as Son and Kane were out for the season.
I'm not sure I've seen this in many places, more people acting like last season was what we have always been like to watch, which is just plain nonsense.

Losing Raul for the season was a big blow, and he would have masked some of the declining performances with his quality but the fatigue of the team last season was at such a high level that I still think we would have only finished a couple of places higher.

And agreed, Spurs were extremely fortunate all round, even with Kane and Son last summer.

I'm not sure I've seen this in many places, more people acting like last season was what we have always been like to watch, which is just plain nonsense.
We may see the nuance, but fans of other clubs are going to use the most recent performances/season as the main factor to judge us by, as they have no reason to give Nuno the benefit of the doubt or look at the wider picture

Put it down to tiredness, homesickness, Raul, no fans, whatever, but Nuno didn't have a great last season with us, and much of that was down to some confused thinking and less-than-impressive leadership on his part and some poor transfer decisions last summer, which you'd presume he had a decent say in.

It's not like him and the club were just passive and stuff happened to them. If I were a Spurs fan, I'd be concerned he could be a fairweather manager tbh

Doc is no doubt celebrating like fookin mad right now.

Really wish that hadn't happened. They'll be fishing at the top end of our pond player wise and Lage's first game against him isn't what he, Jeff or Wolves in general need. Adds to the potential of our appointment going south very quickly

I would expect Neves to follow him now.

He will need the Kane saga sorting out quickly, just so Jorge knows if he is getting a 25% cut off the £170m transfer budget created by that

He will probably use Dier in the Coady role.
Traore maybe but I don't think he will raid us beyond 2 players. He will want players from the pages in Mendes' book we don't seem to be able to view

It'll be interesting to see what Nuno does in terms of formation.

Will he go 3 ATB, will he be as pragmatic as he was here, will Kane stay...

They don't really exist - they're equally out of reach for Spurs.

I can see him coming for Coady, Neves and Neto over the next 12 months.

He may come calling for Coady. It would be good business for both. It will be one if two things. Champions league or the sack by April.

Back