• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil Confirmed

I wonder if we'll get one of those videos of him arriving - Lage looking thoroughly disinterested and checking his phone, Lop walking around displaying his knowledge of the players whilst trying to reinjure Matheus's shoulder, O'Neil walking in and nobody batting an eyelid or thinking he's there to clean the windows
Do you think players genuinely write off a manager that quickly? Obviously some will be divas regardless...

At a certain point it'd be silly to deny that a manager's footballing clout can't be useful in getting a dressing room onside, but for a club our size I wonder how much it really matters. I'd think those judgements would come after a couple of tactical sessions.

As for the Guardian they are going downhill fast since @YoungWolf left. They're blagardding us today for having two betting sponsors on our shirts in the review of the kits.
Awful piece that. One of those where whoever was writing it committed the Spiers error of going with a "joke" running through it and not thinking "nah, this doesn't work" halfway through and taking it out.

Not only did they originally have AstroPay down as a betting sponsor but they also called us a Birmingham club.

Do you think players genuinely write off a manager that quickly? Obviously some will be divas regardless...

At a certain point it'd be silly to deny that a manager's footballing clout can't be useful in getting a dressing room onside, but for a club our size I wonder how much it really matters. I'd think those judgements would come after a couple of tactical sessions.
Have you quoted the wrong post?

Have you quoted the wrong post?
Maybe; wasn't really directed at you, just a tangent that came to mind because you mentioned players thinking O'Neil was a groundskeeper or summat.

I'd be genuinely curious (though, of course, we'll never know) what players like Nunes and Cunha really feel about this at first blush.

Zenga lasted 14 league games (W4 D4 L6). Easily the shortest-lived permanent manager I've known us have, Saunders is next with 20 games and then Lopetegui on 22. Solbakken got to 26, Lambert had 30.

Our 14th league game is Arsenal away on 2nd December. I'm not sure Crazy Walt's "record" is safe.

Current odds (using Bet365, others will vary slightly):

Luton 1/3
Sheff Utd 4/7
Wolves 9/4
Nottm Forest 5/2
Bournemouth 5/2
Everton 3/1
Fulham 7/2
Burnley 7/2
Crystal Palace 7/1
Brentford 8/1
West Ham 9/1

Everton and Burnley look a fair bit long to me there.
Fulham look too long for me as well. Without Mitrovic they're going to struggle to score as many goals and will be at the mercy of tighter 1-0 scorelines that can go either way.

Hobbs has been looking for a new manager for past 10 days and was impressed with O'Neil's attention to detail and visions for taking the club forward

It matters not, we won't hear anything but club authorised propaganda in any case. There will be a handful of interviews over the next few days from players saying they welcome O'Neil and he has already brought something new to training and they look forward to working with him....blah, blah, blah

Most players are professional most of the time. Very few players who are unprofessional reach the elite level of football and only the most mercurial of talents can do what they want without fear...although United bombed out Ronaldo last year. For the most part, they will get on with their job. Dressing room unrest takes time to develop.

In the short term, his appointment probably won't make much difference but a really good manager can address problems on the pitch or in the dressing room. Nuno was always quite dog at stopping the rot and you always felt that even after a run of bad results he could change it. Lage was completely the opposite, when we got ourselves into a hole the only thing he contributed was another shovel.

"If I have a message for our supporters, it would be that it's OK to feel sad and disappointed about Julen's departure, but at the same time it's OK to be optimistic because I genuinely feel this is an exciting and progressive appointment for the club."

Pfffft! Jog on!

Fulham look too long for me as well. Without Mitrovic they're going to struggle to score as many goals and will be at the mercy of tighter 1-0 scorelines that can go either way.

Everton get longer odds just because they’re Everton and Sean Dyche, I think we’ve got a better squad than at least 6 sides.

Last edited:
"If I have a message for our supporters, it would be that it's OK to feel sad and disappointed about Julen's departure, but at the same time it's OK to be optimistic because I genuinely feel this is an exciting and progressive appointment for the club."

Pfffft! Jog on!
Who dis?

Hobbs has been looking for a new manager for past 10 days and was impressed with O'Neil's attention to detail and visions for taking the club forward

Absolute load of drivel from Hobbs, but he’s been thrown under the bus by Mr. Ego himself.

How can you do an “thorough process” that only lasts 10 days?

They will never, ever learn will they? Yes, we’re fans - but we’re not all stupid.

On O’Neil himself, I wish him luck and hope he proves us all wrong. I don’t dislike him as a person - he’s always come across as an alright bloke, whenever I’ve seen interviews etc. and this situation is not his fault.

My frustration is with Shi, Lop & Fosun.

Wolves are set to appoint Tim Jenkins and West Ham coach Mark Robson to Gary O'Neil's coaching staff.

Back