• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil Confirmed

Very definitely seems like we won't be having anything to do with Mendes placements too.
0_Matt-Doherty-deletes-old-tweets-about-Arsenal-following-Tottenham-transfer.jpg

:D

Not even kicked off and already our summer 2024 transfer window will be impacted by having to pay 2 1/2 years of compensation to the GON team.

I mean if we signed Martyn Waghorn you wouldn't say "he might get 20 goals, you never know".
Ironically I was with a Derby fan on Sunday who didn't want him back who said pretty much exactly that

Wolves' sporting director Matt Hobbs issued the following statement when Gary O'Neil's arrival at Molineux was confirmed: “We’re delighted to welcome Gary to the club. He’s a highly motivated young coach with strong principles and very well thought of by everyone he has worked with, and we’re excited to see what we can achieve together at Wolves.
so Hobbs is a wanker as well.

Do you think players genuinely write off a manager that quickly? Obviously some will be divas regardless...

At a certain point it'd be silly to deny that a manager's footballing clout can't be useful in getting a dressing room onside, but for a club our size I wonder how much it really matters. I'd think those judgements would come after a couple of tactical sessions.
The sinking of the Indianapolis changed you.
Linking these two posts and a different sport, but that's what Colts players thought before Jeff Saturday rocked up and that didn't really change

Will create the siege mentality. Stick all the predictions on the dressing room wall and GON will have them fighting liked Wolves to prove them all wrong.
As for the Guardian they are going downhill fast since @YoungWolf left. They're blagardding us today for having two betting sponsors on our shirts in the review of the kits.
The previous manager thought you weren't good enough so prove him wrong has merit

Linking these two posts and a different sport, but that's what Colts players thought before Jeff Saturday rocked up and that didn't really change
Those teams mostly played hard for him, at least. But yeah, that was definitely a "clearly not the guy" situation.

For me personally, GO'N has some credit for keeping Bournemouth up. Obviously many here don't give him that same credit, which is fine.

Last edited:
As with any Wolves manager I hope he does well. Same thing each year, get us to 40 points asap!

I mean you could argue why it's actually a good appointment (if that is what you think) rather than flouncing off.

Everything gets judged on its merits, I don't see Gary O'Neil as an acceptable appointment for a Premier League club entering their 6th straight season at this level, because nothing he's done suggests he is suitable for that kind of job. I've seen his teams, I haven't liked them very much.
I agree with this to be honest. It’s a piss poor appointment.

I’m not saying it’s a good appointment. However, I in no way think the world has ended.

Did a decent job for Bournemouth I felt, there squad was piss poor and I expected them to go straight down.

Bournemouth style was dross, maybe it was the players he had? Hopefully can play a better style with us. Maybe?

Can understand why people are underwhelmed, surely there’s better options available. That being said, I hope he’s a success, and proves the majority wrong,m. In no way will I ever wish a manager fails whilst managing our team.

Very definitely seems like we won't be having anything to do with Mendes placements too.
As DW pointed out, our one signing (not including the training cone) in a "No signings" transfer window was a Mendes client. So still can't escape him. The next worldwide manager search will still likely be a fax asking him for recommendations.

I'm with others, the three years for GON sounds like a terrible business, especially for a team so obsessed with FFP. Not only will we have the payout of Lop and his teams on the ffp books, but a high chance of GON and his team too.

If he does shit, the cycle will repeat again and again. Depressing.

Who do we reckon is the most tactically astute member of the squad now that Ruben and João M. have gone?

Who do we reckon is the most tactically astute member of the squad now that Ruben and João M. have gone?
I feel like if there was anyone close to that level they'd be made captain over Kilman already. Closest is probably Lemina or Dawson. Nunes looked like he could develop a decent football brain but I don't think he's necessarily shown it yet.

Back