• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil Confirmed

Got called it several times as a kid and using it descriptively/ironically now, no offence intended?

What would the alternatives to a Smith be?

Going back to Mendes - possible if Shi panics and demotes Hobbs, but we know the options aren't really much more inspiring than the Smith etc route

Unknown foreign manager - difficult to see us going down this path and certainly not one in employment

The Beale type option - it's the one I'd try, mainly because the unknown is more attractive than the known, but is a McKenna, who'd be my top choice going to come? I doubt it. I suppose Rob Edwards falls into this category, but as in this scenario his Luton team has at least got a draw against us I don't see it.

Graham Potter redemption tour - he's already knocked offers back so is being picky, difficult to see our current strategy unless it has another of its 180 degree lurches appealing to him.

So essentially it is very likely going to be someone not currently on the manager merry go round. Hasenhuttl would be my choice.
I'd go Hasenhuttl too from the likely candidates.
I know it went tits up in the end at Saints but when he first went there they played some decent stuff and did ok. He got dealt a rough hand later with players sold so he should be used to that if he came here.

Got called it several times as a kid and using it descriptively/ironically now, no offence intended?
Yeah, sorry but I found it incredibly jarring to read that written down so casually. :ROFLMAO:

It's pretty offensive tbh.

I know you didn't mean it that way but it's a word way over the line.

I'm Catholic as is my family in Scotland and that's a very offensive term to them.

I'd go Hasenhuttl too from the likely candidates.
I know it went tits up in the end at Saints but when he first went there they played some decent stuff and did ok. He got dealt a rough hand later with players sold so he should be used to that if he came here.
He was available when we employed GON and we didn't go near him, sadly.

It's pretty offensive tbh.

I know you didn't mean it that way but it's a word way over the line.

I'm Catholic as is my family in Scotland and that's a very offensive term to them.

Noted. 👍

By way of explanation, my experience is that it was used in a mixture of contexts around me, both threatening and benevolent, and I've got Irish Catholic relatives now who self-apply it in a humorous way...

Good to hear alternative experiences of it though and no intention to rile or upset on my part, shouldn't have dropped it in so casually on a forum in retrospect

Can a mod move this discussion to a new thread please...
do-not-press-priest.gif

How about not modding for a bit mate? Let others who have the keys make the decisions?

Noted. 👍

By way of explanation, my experience is that it was used in a mixture of contexts around me, both threatening and benevolent, and I've got Irish Catholic relatives now who self-apply it in a humorous way...

Good to hear alternative experiences of it though and no intention to rile or upset on my part, shouldn't have dropped it in so casually on a forum in retrospect
I do love a good reclamation tbf.

Kill the word's power!

My choice would be Potter. I don't think we have a hope in hell, but I'm also not convinced he'll get an offer from a club with european football.

I dunno man, Chelsea are crackpot right now but Potter looked totally broken by the end of his time there. So many endless stares into the void.

I dunno man, Chelsea are crackpot right now but Potter looked totally broken by the end of his time there. So many endless stares into the void.
Some managers just have a level.

Look at Hodgson's work at Fulham and West Brom. Superb at both. The fact he was totally lost at Liverpool in between isn't relevant.

As you say, Chelsea are a complete basket case of a club atm. Poch is struggling to sort the mess out and that's after they spent 1 billion! I prefer to look at his time at Brighton as a better indication of what he could offer here.

My choice would be Potter. I don't think we have a hope in hell, but I'm also not convinced he'll get an offer from a club with european football.
I think his compensation from Chelsea is linked to any new job so I can't see him coming here for that reason rather than anything else.

I think his compensation from Chelsea is linked to any new job so I can't see him coming here for that reason rather than anything else.
Agreed.

It really is slim pickings.

Also we aren't as attractive to managers now either, the summer will have put plenty off.

Agreed.

It really is slim pickings.

Also we aren't as attractive to managers now either, the summer will have put plenty off.
Loads of decent managers would want the Wolves job. Premier League jobs don't come up that often and if you've got anything about you, you'd back yourself to finish above three other teams with this squad.

Back