• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil Confirmed

I don't doubt that Dan, but you can't deny the circumstances of Lop leaving, the narrative about FFP and our low league placing (especially in the event of GON being sacked) mean that we'd be less attractive than say the end of last season.

We'd be more attractive to mercenary managers though.

I mean we were bottom of the league when Lop took over and had been absolutely appalling for almost an entire year.

They wouldn't care. It only really comes into it when you're in a Feb 2012 situation. Would you like to take over this team who have no confidence, not much quality, are in the bottom three and you can't sign anyone, yeah, probably not. Even then Bruce (before he became the complete joke he is now) was willing to take it on, we pulled the plug, not him.

Lop didn't fancy it, especially if the goalposts did keep moving from what he was originally told but I think plenty of decent managers would, certainly far better options than O'Neil.

For some bizarre reason we limited ourselves to English, cheap and available and interviewed O'Neil, Smith and Frank. O'Neil's Powerpoint used the most pretty colours. Great.

I don't think there's a doubt managers would be interested, the question is what's the quality and what are the boundaries? If they remain English and unemployed the pool won't be tremendously different from the one in August.

I mean we were bottom of the league when Lop took over and had been absolutely appalling for almost an entire year.
And we had to pay him and his team 10mill + to convince him, prior to that he'd turned us down.

We aren't going to pay those kind of figures again.

Another thing that will prolong GON's tenure is his ridiculous contract length. Bizarre.

Another thing that will prolong GON's tenure is his ridiculous contract length. Bizarre.
Won't come into it, there'll be all kinds of break clauses.

Not that we should have handed him a three year deal on any level.

There's a middle ground between appointing Julen Lopetego and Gary O'Neil as a Premier League club who shouldn't get relegated.

For some bizarre reason we limited ourselves to English, cheap and available and interviewed O'Neil, Smith and Frank. O'Neil's Powerpoint used the most pretty colours. GrGreat
Wasn't too bizarre. Hobbs had from the Celtic game to start of season to find a new head coach, with no budget to splash and his boss only on Zoom away in China.

Barely a couple of months in to a 3 year tenure, it's certainly proving short-sighted and still not the right decision anynore than it was when the appoitment was made, but we knew the logic being used at the time.

I don't think they will be quick to sack him at all. The fixture does improve a bit around end of October. I think the next Brighton game (13/01) would be the earliest but if we've got a solid buffer over relegation they won't bother at all.

We probably only need to beat Luton, Sheff U and Burnley for him to be safe from the sack until Christmas.

Throw in a point against Fulham and/or Bournemouth and he'll be fine.

It isn't a high bar that keeps him (and us) safe.

For reference, our first 5 games in every PL season:

2003/04: P5 W0 D1 L4 F1 A12
2009/10: P5 W1 D1 L3 F3 A7
2010/11: P5 W1 D2 L2 F6 A8
2011/12: P5 W2 D1 L2 F4 A6
2018/19: P5 W2 D2 L1 F5 A5
2019/20: P5 W0 D3 L2 F6 A10
2020/21: P5 W3 D0 L2 F5 A7
2021/22: P5 W1 D0 L4 F2 A5
2022/23: P5 W0 D3 L2 F2 A4
2023/24: P5 W1 D0 L4 F5 A11

Wasn't too bizarre. Hobbs had from the Celtic game to start of season to find a new head coach, with no budget to splash and his boss only on Zoom away in China.

Barely a couple of months in to a 3 year tenure, it's certainly proving short-sighted and still not the right decision anynore than it was when the appoitment was made, but we knew the logic being used at the time.

I don't think they will be quick to sack him at all. The fixture does improve a bit around end of October. I think the next Brighton game (13/01) would be the earliest but if we've got a solid buffer over relegation they won't bother at all.
We'll be nailed on for relegation if we wait until January.

Last edited:
You should check the author before posting any of his made up bollocks.
Wasn't football insider that got a couple of things right lately? Or am I thinking of some other clickbaity type site?

It's pretty likely we did move for Edwards though, not as if it's saying we sounded Pep out is it?

Wasn't football insider that got a couple of things right lately? Or am I thinking of some other clickbaity type site?

It's pretty likely we did move for Edwards though, not as if it's saying we sounded Pep out is it?
O'Rourke does, Wayne just dreams things up. Given everything we know the last thing we were going to do is pay compensation to another club for their manager

We wanted Edwards to take the reins when it was obvious that Davis was miles out of his depth (still better than Lage) and then to stay on the coaching staff once we got round to appointing someone, and he said no.

I don't know why we'd bother paying compensation for someone who is basically the same thing as O'Neil, with added handsome factor and "he played for Wolves" non-tangible stuff.

Back