• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

As for who we may or not sell.

Neto is the obvious one. They might want to sell Semedo if they can get £30m.

Clubs would be interested in Gomes, but he hasn’t maximised value yet, we wouldn’t get what we would want. Same with Hwang, anyone who has looked beyond one seasons goal column are going to be hesitant to spend a large sum on a 28 year old.

RAN has tons of ability and key to us, but the goals and assists aren’t there for others to take notice.

Cunha would attract interest but given the fee we paid would be pointless selling as would be minimal gain.

Dont think anyone else is going to attract a fee or be worth selling. Kilman possibly but he’s captain and Dawson is old so too much upheaval

“My job is to not spend money from Fosun,” he says. “I’d rather that money go into the stadium, training ground, or to build something that leaves a footprint for the club. On the pitch, we can be self-sustainable. No problem. I don’t see why we feel we have a given right to expect people to put money in. It’s also not that easy to spend. Look at Newcastle. They can’t spend the money they’ve got.

“Essentially, every summer, I probably have to sell someone at a high value. The fewer I can sell to raise the money we need to spend, the stronger we will be as a club. Let’s say I want to raise £60million to invest in the next summer. If I can sell one player to do that, it’s much better than selling two or three.”

“We’re not in a position where we have to sell,” Hobbs says. “Realistically, we don’t want to sell more than two starters this summer, but if big clubs come, I’ve never been the person to stand in someone’s way as long as we can reinvest in the right way to move forward. We showed with other players leaving last summer that we’re able to move forward with three or four starters going.

“We’re always looking to improve and we have the ability to turn down big offers, but every player has their number. I’m not sure the same market is there now. I don’t see three or four £100million players going. For me, there’s no need and no players is itching to get away. They’ve bought into Gary and everyone’s on the same page.”

The messaging is as plain as it gets.

Every player is for sale at the right price - that motto never changes - provided of course that the player wishes to move .

On Neto - his injury record might tell against him yet . Why would you splurge big money on a player who tends to miss a fair chunk of a season more than once ?

On Hwang......lets not forget his form pre the Asian Cup . No one was giving out then . His final match in 2023 - at home via Everton , he was really good and deserved a goal . His injury at the Asian Cup has messed him up . He's a finisher , and God knows we need one of those . It's not as if we're in the market to buy a player for 40 million plus to replace him . We're not , and finding a player for 15 m that can finish on a regular basis and score 15 goals / season is next to impossible .
Unless we're offered silly money of course and he chooses to leave.....
I think it’s highly unlikely Hwang will get close to the number of goals he’s scored this season next or in any future season. He’s had a freak season like Guedes did before we signed him. Anything close to £20m and he should be sold.

Feel the suggestions Hwang will go is projection more than anything else. His injury record is too variable.
Neto is pretty much a given. I assume most fringe/ loan players can go too.
Lemina will stay.
There will likely be interest in cunha, gomes, kilman, ran, toti & sa. How interested we'd be will depend on what we get for neto and how early.

Back in September Hobbs said we'd sign 1 or 2 players in January window, so we're still "owed" those two.

Though the narrative appears to be that we need to sell Neto + 1 to fund other purchases?

Never getting £30m for a 30 year old right back with 1 year left on his deal in a million years.
Didn’t think we’d get £45m for Neves…

As much as I would largely agree, £30m isn’t much these days (30 isn’t old either), and basically what I’m saying is I think it would be pointless selling for less. I’d rather just extend. So if an offer did come in the region of that then we might accept it. £20m there’s no point.

Agreed. We wouldn't get someone as good or better and as consistent as Semedo for less than £30m

Plus we already need another RB/RWB as the sole back up we have is dreadful. Do we want to try and sign two in one window?

Because beneath the goals is a player with many deficiencies and a susceptibility to niggling injuries. He’s had a lot of straightforward chances this season in part due to his ability to be in the right place and I think in part due to good fortune with ball landing at his feet.

Because beneath the goals is a player with many deficiencies and a susceptibility to niggling injuries. He’s had a lot of straightforward chances this season in part due to his ability to be in the right place and I think in part due to good fortune with ball landing at his feet.
I think this is unfair (other than the injuries comment) when he's been part of a trio of Neto, Cunha and himself he's been excellent. He's our (joint) leading scorer, despite playing 4 games less than Cunha.

He's scored some excellent goals that are more than just "being in the right place" namely the goals v Newcastle and Brighton away.

I feel that some people who had written him off a couple of years ago (and I was one of them) feel a little conflicted because he's had such a good season, so now they see a dip in his form despite the many mitigating factors their prior opinion seems vindicated.

Judging him on how he's been since an unsuccessful, gruelling tournament with a shite manager on the other side of the world when he's been asked to play as a no.9 for us, rather than how he performed as part of a free scoring fluid trio from August to January is odd.

Judging him on how he's been since an unsuccessful, gruelling tournament with a shite manager on the other side of the world when he's been asked to play as a no.9 for us, rather than how he performed as part of a free scoring fluid trio from August to January is odd.
So is ignoring the 18 months previous and not being open to that few months potentially being a statistical Olofinjana style purple patch. His Wolves career to date has had much more bad than good. I don't think they'll be significant PL interest for that reason so it'll be moot.

I think this is unfair (other than the injuries comment) when he's been part of a trio of Neto, Cunha and himself he's been excellent. He's our (joint) leading scorer, despite playing 4 games less than Cunha.

He's scored some excellent goals that are more than just "being in the right place" namely the goals v Newcastle and Brighton away.

I feel that some people who had written him off a couple of years ago (and I was one of them) feel a little conflicted because he's had such a good season, so now they see a dip in his form despite the many mitigating factors their prior opinion seems vindicated.

I refer you to Martin Hayes goal scoring exploits in one season at Arsenal. More recently Joe Willock and Almiron at Newcastle. A player that frequently struggles to control a simple ball is unlikely to score goals consistently in the PL. If he stays I hope I’m made to look stupid, won’t be the first time, but if we’re losing a first teamer he’d be top of my list.

So is ignoring the 18 months previous and not being open to that few months potentially being a statistical Olofinjana style purple patch. His Wolves career to date has had much more bad than good. I don't think they'll be significant PL interest for that reason so it'll be moot.
Maybe we should judge Cunha on how he was for the 6 months after he signed rather than this 6 months prior too?

Or RAN? Who prior to this season has massively flattered to deceive? Why is it only Hwang who is subject to this critical scrutiny when he has scored more goals than anyone (with Cunha) since Raul??

Maybe we should judge Cunha on how he was for the 6 months after he signed rather than this 6 months prior too?

Or RAN? Who prior to this season has massively flattered to deceive? Why is it only Hwang who is subject to this critical scrutiny when he has scored more goals than anyone (with Cunha) since Raul??
Probably because in the games since he’s returned he’s reverted to original Hwang.

Back