• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Player ratings 2015-16

D

Deleted Cyber

Only a couple of weeks to go in this dire dog shit mare of a season. Here is a thread on how the main squad players performed in my opinion. Only one line for many and no player scored higher than 7. Says it all.
• Carl Ikeme (G)
Poor season. His confidence got knocked by poor management initially from Jackett. Gets beaten from distance far to often. Needs upgrading season rating 5
• 26Damian Emiliano Martinez (G)
Shaky start but came back well. Many wanted him reinstated but Jackett resisted. His last 3 months have therefore been a waste of time and money on his loan fee. Wont be here next year Rating 5
• 2 Matt Doherty (D)
Started the season as a league 2 standard defender playing championship football but his form has improved a lot. That said he is now only performing to championship standard. We have him tied to a mega deal so we need to hope he gets even better as he isn’t premier class at the moment. Scored one of the best goals of the season rating 6.5
• 5 Mike Williamson (D)
4 games did well- got injured- got signed – never played One for next year though. Captain? Rating 6
• 6 Danny Batth (D)
Sadly ordinary this season. Slow, poor positioning and not enough on pitch leadership. A couple of goals but I would expect that. Rating 5
• 18 Dominic Iorfa (D)
Has shown flashes of true class and that is inteteting premier clubs. I hope he stays but given the Afobe mess don’t hold out to many hopes in the long term . Still learning but can be naïve positionally. 6.5
• 23 Ethan Ebanks-Landell (D)
Another defender whose radar goes astray but he does put his body on the line for the cause. Needs to cut errors out of his game to improve 6
• 25 Nathan Byrne (D)
Not really cut it. Clearly has pace but can also go absent for long periods. In fairness not given a huge team run. Cant see him lasting 5.5
• 28 Sylvain Deslandes (D)
Brief cameo- one for the future too early to rate
• 30 Kortney Hause (D)
Another linked with premier clubs, another with much to learn but a satisfactory if unspectacular season for him. Needs better distribuition rating 6
• 4David Edwards (M)
Dangerous Dave. Gives his all but lacks quality. Scores the odd goal and appears to be jackets favourite. Wont ever be a winger or a number 10. 6
• 7 James Henry (M)
Some lovely moments but plenty of very ordinary ones. A couple of beautiful goals. A lot of huff and puff ending up with a shit cross. Just about sums him up 5.5
• 8 George Saville (M)
Getting better. Needs a bit more muscle. Not a left sided midfielder on the Rhombus I am afraid but he has improved in the second half of the season. Some quality finishes. 6.5
• 11 Kevin McDonald (M)
Started the season quite well , got a new contract and became anonymous. Really seems to have been found out at this level. No back bone. Time to leave 4.5
• 16 Conor Coady (M)
2m investment. Little return. His first touch is poor, he lacks real pace for all his endeavour. Struggling to justify the price tag. 5.5
• 19 Jack Price (M)
The brightest glowing ember of a damp squib season. We look better with him playing. Captain material and a better passer than many would give credit. Combative and protects the weak centre very well. 7
• 24 Jordan Graham (M)
Flashes of real skill cruelly ended by injury. Hope he gets back soon 7
• 27 Michal Zyro (M)
Great start however injured again thanks to a brutal hack. I Worry about his injury record. He is not a lucky player with injuries 6.5
• 35 Connor Hunte (M)
Not enough opportunity to rate
• 9 Nouha Dicko (F)
Injured- no rating
• 10 Joe Mason (F)
3 million pounds! Doesn’t look worth it however the system played doesn’t suit him so it begs the question why buy him? 6
• 22 Bjorn Bergmann Sigurdarson (F)
A worse touch than Coady, he huffs and puffs to but isn’t strong enough for a central target man or fast enough for a winger. He also couldn’t score in a brothel. Jackett loves him though 4
• 29 Adam Le Fondre (F)
Season long loan that has seen him sit and warm the bench. No good for either us or him. Again the system we employed did not suit him and he was given limited opportunity. Waste of money on his loan fee 5
• 48 Bright Enobakhare (F)
• Not enough opportunity to rate
Wallace- needs a run in the side. His confidence cannot have been helped by his treatment. Has yet to show his real worth for us 5
Helan- Did nothing special. Neither a proper winger or a proper defender. Did ok in some games poor in others 5.5
OJO- Great goal v blues and that was about that. Fell over far to often but is now a superstar back at Liverpool go figure? 5
Holt- awful- 4

Kenny Jackett. Poor tactically poor team selection and persisting in playing atrocious football to the detriment of a number of players he signed. Appears out of his depth and needs to go. Nice chap but I question his competence. 4
Thelwell and recruitment- awful truly awful both with buying and selling and loaning players. 4

Key 10 awesome
9 Excellent
8 Very Good
7 Good
6 Average
5 Poor
4 Stinker

Some remarkably generous ratings there, Cyber. On the assumption that it's from 1 to 10 it's impossible for me to give Jackett anything other than a 1 or a 2. What decisions has he got right this year? May possibly have chosen some nice wallpaper for his lounge but that's about it. And negative ratings for Thelwell & recruitment and the Wolves PR department.

In the same way that Spurs fans voted "the whole team" man of the match recently, I seriously think our player of the season should be "none of the above." If I have to vote, it goes to Jordan Graham, who achieved more in ten games than the rest of the squad did in a whole season

Far to generous marking, Kenny Jackett gets a 2 for being punctual and well turned out. Thats his lot.

Comprehensive post, and had me thinking. What would be the break-off points as to who should stay and who should go?

Would probably have to be a cut-off rating for Under-25s, and then one for 25s and overs. So, say 6 and over for under-25s and they get to stay, potential being all, 6.5 and over for those 25+.

That would leave the squad as:

Doherty
Iorfa
Ebanks-Landell
Deslandes?
Hause
Saville
Price
Graham
Zyro
Hunte?
Dicko
Mason
Enobakhare?
Wallace? (I include him as I think on what we have seen he's a 6)

I would not say 'no' to a Martinez deal, it's just regrettable that given Full Mental Jackett's treatment of him that's never going to happen, especially as some feel he'll be warming the bench at Arsenal next year.

Would a new "Coach" give MacDonald a chance to impress? Hmmm.

All in all, that's a good core to work from, and just about a team to put out.

I have to agree with Norman Deeley that the 4 for Jackett is exceedingly generous, as is the score for Thelwell and his alleged recruitment team.

Just had a thought - if Edwards impresses at Euro 2016, maybe that will put him in the shop window? In which case, play him for the rest of the season (as will no doubt be the case)...

I can't be bothered to rate the whole squad. They've caused me enough boredom this season. It's easier just to list who I would like to see here next season. I'm not including the likes of Bright, Deslandes, Hunte etc in this, but I'd keep the following:

Iorfa
Hause
Williamson
Saville
Price
Graham
Evans
Dicko
Zyro (not that he'll play due to injury)

Saville has shown enough to warrant another chance next season and I'd like to see what Evans can do after a year out on loan but otherwise, we've a squad bereft of quality, effort, application and verve and I wouldn't lose any sleep at all if the rest of the squad were released.

Sorry 4 is a stinker. I could not think of a suitable term for a three. Using similar principles to match report scores. Agree 4 is generous but it does mean those all stank! The key is at the end if the post

Ikeme deserves 2/10 at best. Worst season I've ever seen a Wolves keeper have, awful.

I can't be bothered to rate the whole squad. They've caused me enough boredom this season. It's easier just to list who I would like to see here next season. I'm not including the likes of Bright, Deslandes, Hunte etc in this, but I'd keep the following:

Iorfa
Hause
Williamson
Saville
Price
Graham
Evans
Dicko
Zyro (not that he'll play due to injury)

I'd take those players with the exception of Saville who's an average clogger for me.

I'd take those players with the exception of Saville who's an average clogger for me.

I think he's done well since he came back into the side, but anyway - 'average clogger' is still better than most this season. Some of those wasters could only dream of being an average clogger.

I think he's done well since he came back into the side, but anyway - 'average clogger' is still better than most this season. Some of those wasters could only dream of being an average clogger.

Yeah, I'm pretty much on my own with that opinion of Saville and I do admit he is 10 times the player Coady is and a bargain at half the price.....

Yeah, I'm pretty much on my own with that opinion of Saville and I do admit he is 10 times the player Coady is and a bargain at half the price.....

And he gets an extra mark for looking like Bill from Bill and Ted.

Jackett definitely gets a 2 by the way.

This season he has put in the worst managerial performance I have ever seen at Molineux barring Dean Saunders, and it's only because he seems a decent enough bloke whereas Saunders is a complete and utter cunt that I rate him higher.

Saunders won more games in his spell here than Jackett in this seasons equivalent period of games. Scary.

Jackett has been a catastrophic failure.

He's wasted resources on the signings of Mason and Coady.
He doesn't know his best eleven
He played half a dozen players at left wing before Graham
Ultra defensive tactics
Blind loyalty to Edwards and Henry
Mismanagement of players
The home form

All of this negates the injuries, and losing Sako and Afobe.

Saunders won more games in his spell here than Jackett in this seasons equivalent period of games. Scary.

Is that right? Could someone work out a comparative table, Saunders vs. Jackett? If that's true it's appalling

Ikeme has really disappointed me this year as he can be a decent keeper and he can have great games, but he's had too many brain farts like Hull this year and he wears concrete boots from distance. There are 2/3 positions I'd strengthen ahead of keeper, but he couldn't have any complaints if he wasn't first choice in August

Back