• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

O'Neil In, Out and Shaking it all about

Well that’s the point. If no one is offering that, then I see no point in selling him for £15m IF he was willing to extend.

No. If he's willing to extend then the point is moot as we'd be after way more than that.

The point is that the scenario where he walks for free at the end of next season is the worst possible outcome for the club.

It's not the worst scenario for me as a fan, i want to see Wolves have the best possible 11 players out it can, and win as many games as it can.

I don't support a bank, and i'm not a shareholder.

It's not the worst scenario for me as a fan, i want to see Wolves have the best possible 11 players out it can, and win as many games as it can.

I don't support a bank, and i'm not a shareholder.

That's why I said club.

I agree with Deutsch that RB would be a serious weak point if he left. Ideally we'd 'just extend' and buy an adequate back up/challenger as well. Unfortunately that's not the reality of the club we support at the moment. Judging by the way we've behaved as a club recently we'll be far more likely to be heading into next season with Matt Doherty, Ki-Jana Hoever & Dexter Lembikisa as our options at RB.

That's why I said club.

I agree with Deutsch that RB would be a serious weak point if he left. Ideally we'd 'just extend' and buy an adequate back up/challenger as well. Unfortunately that's not the reality of the club we support at the moment. Judging by the way we've behaved as a club recently we'll be far more likely to be heading into next season with Matt Doherty, Ki-Jana Hoever & Dexter Lembikisa as our options at RB.
I know, I know, it was an exclamation at the way of the club, despite what has been a good season (compared to what i expected) i am getting more and more fed up with both Wolves and football as a whole.

Probably comes with age.

No. If he's willing to extend then the point is moot as we'd be after way more than that.

The point is that the scenario where he walks for free at the end of next season is the worst possible outcome for the club.
Your arguing a point I haven’t made and are pretty much agreeing with what I have?

To summarise…

If he will extend on equal terms then I would not sell for £15m.

If he won’t extend then you have to take what you can get. But I’m 90% sure he would accept an extension on roughly equal terms.

In the hypothetical/fanciful world where someone makes a big offer (£30m ish would be a snap your hand off, anything above £22.5m you have to start considering) then you cash in.

Your arguing a point I haven’t made and are pretty much agreeing with what I have?

To summarise…

If he will extend on equal terms then I would not sell for £15m.

If he won’t extend then you have to take what you can get. But I’m 90% sure he would accept an extension on roughly equal terms.

In the hypothetical/fanciful world where someone makes a big offer (£30m ish would be a snap your hand off, anything above £22.5m you have to start considering) then you cash in.

No, I'm definitely not agreeing with what you've said. I think you've missed the point entirely and I'm not sure where you're getting these figures from or how you're 90% sure he'd accept a contract offer on terms we probably wouldn't offer anyway.

No, I'm definitely not agreeing with what you've said. I think you've missed the point entirely
You made your point?

“The point is that the scenario where he walks for free at the end of next season is the worst possible outcome for the club.”

And I agree with it?

and I'm not sure where you're getting these figures from
Just my opinion, nothing more. £22.5m and above I’d consider it being a net benefit. TT said “half that” to £30m, which is what we would accept. That’s where £15m came from. If he won’t extend then you simply have to sell (obviously, but I haven’t said otherwise).

But…
or how you're 90% sure he'd accept a contract offer on terms we probably wouldn't offer anyway.
It is just my opinion that I think he would. You may think otherwise, that’s fine. I don’t think there’s any clear proof either way. We also have no idea what we might offer, just saying what I would do. I would offer him the rumoured £80k a week for 2 more years.

Even the papers can’t spell names right.

Okay, that was a stupid, unprofessional, and selfish thing for him to do. I’m not sure the comparison between that and a grown man making a kid cry holds water tho.

Not sure they’re comparable incidents, even Robins has said he was ashamed of his behaviour.

I wasn't comparing them, just saying I'd forgotten that about him. I actually think what GON did in a footballing sense is worse fwiw. Robins' is worse in a human context

Pretty standard stuff although normally led by the manager to make them miss less important games.

Probably a ton of players who have taken a booking to get some time off. We all joke when a player gets a suspension before Christmas.

On the Robins incident - Just hope this ballboy has the same future as the one Eden Hazard kicked.

Infamous amongst my Boro supporting mates, not helped by him being a fairly mediocre performer for them. He also cops a bit now for being overtly ‘self-promoting’ when we win - got a bit of this at my pub this afternoon (not Boro fans!). How much he can do about media fads I don’t know though. Anyway, people learn and change and, regardless of anything else, he’s carried himself well in his time with us.

It's the one thing I don't like about GON. From the very off he'd blame "the situation" rather than his own his managerial mistakes.

He also loves deflecting, finding talking points other than his own shortcomings. When we play well and win he'll still be on TV a week later talking about it, explaining his tactical masterclass...

When we underperform and lose he'll talk about anything else to avoid facing his fuck ups.

That said, I like him. I'm not sure I'd blame him for the injury time collapse, that's on the players who switched off thinking the job had been done...

I do however blame him for his needless juggling of personnel, his square pegs in round holes approach and total no show and disasterclass v Coventry.

We were shit Gary, own it.

I'm not sure that's true, he has been critical of his decisions a number of times and including the Coventry game said its not the players fault.

But I agree his appearances in the media will start to grate if we start to struggle.

Back