• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Palace 1 v 1 Wolves: The Verdict Thread

Also suspect there'll be cash thrown around in January at another CB who can be relied upon more fully

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Confidence wise we just need to convert a couple of chances when we're on top, then things will fall into place. I was surprised at todays team and reverting to 3-4-3 but it seemed to work.
Think the last two games have shown signs of a recovery, we really need to beat Watford now just get that monkey off our back

Well, that was a breathtaking end! Almost couldn't see Diogo score because of my unrestricted view....

Thought we played pretty well except for a complete brainfart at the start of the 2nd half.
44ab1ba3e31a8e141cf0dc93793a5977.jpg

Our first half was almost as good as last season's plays. We were dangerous and venemous, creating good chances which got squandered.

Second half starts, we concede a really lucky fluke of a goal. We were trying to get back in but completely unable to, Nuno tried to swap some pieces to get some better grip, Saiss gets sent off and no one of the replacements did any good, which includes Neves.

Neto is just not good enough for this level. Think we would have have kept Cav or Costa instead of getting me, would be better for us. Cutrone just seems to not work out.

Neto is about the same as Cav & Costa for me

Neto is 19 so still has some years before he reaches his peak

Well my tenner on palace did the trick and got us a point. Saiss is a liability, said it previously, prone to giving free kicks away in dangerous areas. I'll also say it now: Dendoncker I don't rate and BTW Vinagre is another.
Happy with an away point.
Happy that I had €50 on Liverpool and €25 on Arsenal at 5/2 at half time. SOTV

I enjoyed the first half. Our movement was better and we looked more of a threat. Some decent goalkeeping kept them level at the break then they got a fortunate goal, could have had a couple more but didnt thanks to some heroics from Rui and last ditch defending and justice was done with Jota grabbing a leveler.

Zaha must be made of paper. He goes over with any touch and it really pisses me off. He got away with it mostly today. Saiss was a twat. Gave Attwell all the opportunity he needed to keep his record up of sending one of ours off. Again Attwell is a frustration. I dont see why he is highl;y rated , and he is. He is a young Jon Moss. Pedantic .

Still winless, but its in our hands now against Watford. Could be worse. We could be Villa !

I don't remember Neto doing anything particularly awful.

Also think some of the stick on Saïss is unfair. Yes, he was bloody stupid today but in general he has been excellent when called upon over the last two years or so.

Neto is about the same as Cav & Costa for me

Neto is 19 so still has some years before he reaches his peak
Neto played and looked like a 19 year old. He may become good but today he was pretty anonymous. Mind you Cutrone was pretty quiet as well.

That view sums up how shit Selhurst Park is. Not as bad as the old away spot where I went with DW, Vis and Wombat a few years ago though. You could see there, but it was downright dangerous.

I don't remember Neto doing anything particularly awful.

Also think some of the stick on Saïss is unfair. Yes, he was bloody stupid today but in general he has been excellent when called upon over the last two years or so.

He is better than getting sucked in for two silly fouls like that. Vinagre, yep I could see him getting suckered like that but Saiss does and should know better. He can take the sticvk on this one. Grade A twat, just like we said for Boly a few weeks back. He will be back though.

There's a pretty depressing stat - happened 5 times I think - that every time Wolves have failed to get a win from their first 5 games in the top flight they've gone down.

But the last season we were in the premier league when we were relegated we had 7 points from 3 games and still went down by a mile. This squad would beast that squad in every department in every way. In fact none of the 2010 squad would make this squad in my opinion. We have had a poor start but its very very early days.

As Sven used to say, first half good, second half not so good.

Once we'd settled down (and we are visibly low on confidence at present, which is always going to happen to any team on this kind of mini-run), it was encouraging to see us play with some genuine fluency, keep the ball on the deck, wipe out the stupid long ball nonsense that we've somehow been infected with and create a number of opportunities. Don't think Jota's chance was particularly easy (if he goes to Guaita's right then it will get blocked, Cahill comes across) but Doc should be heading his chance at the back stick downwards to give the keeper no chance. Good save mind. Also should really have got something on Moutinho's cross near the end of the half, any flick either side and it's in. Donck butchered a touch on the edge of the box which would otherwise have been a good shooting opportunity and had one blocked where he might have done better.

Optimism gone within 35 seconds, we're not awake, Boly gets done twice in the space of about three seconds and then we get the kind of break against us that happens to all teams. While we kept going, rarely did we look like scoring. One acrobatic effort from Raul and that's about it. Of course, we're having to open up more and more as we go and they're getting chances. Thanks to Rui for keeping us in it and then some comedy defending (not closing down Traore at all and then the world's stupidest attempt at a diving header) lets us back in. A point fair all round I would say.

Pressure is of course really on the Watford game now, not least as we have City away after that and you can pretty much write it off. The positive thing is that I've now seen each team multiple times and outwith the top two, there aren't any particularly great worries. You would fancy yourself to have a chance against basically everyone, home or away. But you have to make chances count and stop giving away silly goals. Football can be simple sometimes.

Traore is now a RWB only for me. Play him as a wide forward (the formation switch generally was fine) and he has to receive the ball in tight areas with next to no room to run into. Just not his game, he needs to pick the ball up deep. We're never going to be able to change this. If we want to have 3-4-3 as a proper option again, someone else needs to play on the right of the attack. Play him in that wingback role and you can see how it could work going forward IF we can switch him on defensively, but we have to pick and choose the matches/circumstances where he plays there.

Moutinho did well and was probably our best outfield player. I'll hand Rui MOTM though as without those two saves - however badly Benteke and Schlupp messed up - we're coming home with nothing. Raul isn't at his best right now, he always gives you a chance of a goal (was a lovely cross to Doc too) but his general play is off. Boly was fine on the "wrong" side other than the goal. Saiss was fine generally but then launches himself into one pointless tackle and then needlessly drags Zaha back when he knows he's on a yellow. Incomprehensible stuff. Does seem that nearly every error we make at the moment is being punished.

It's something to build on at least. Snatching a point like that when I think we'd all pretty much written it off could have a serious galvanising effect in the coming weeks.

As for Neto, he is most definitely a forward at the moment, be that where Jota normally plays or where Jota played today for most of the match. That was easily his weakest performance for us and the only one where he's looked out of his depth.

He is not equipped to be the link between midfield and attack at present, might never be. In fact none of our current first team squad are suited to that role, MGW is the closest but he himself is still only 19 and working out what his best position actually is. I've seen people mention Cav in relation to Neto but he also would have been shit playing there. We just don't have that player and never have under Nuno, haven't had one since we ditched Jacobs (at a much lower level).

Isn't Shabani supposed to be that type of player? MGW was ok for parts of last season too.

This is Shabani who has played two senior games ever though (Regionalliga Bayern does not count, trust me).

The thing is that if MGW wants to develop in that position (he didn't play much if any Academy football there) then he needs games. Especially in the Premier League. Are we going to give them to him? In the current position? Probably not.

He also gets a lot of oddly negative stuff aimed at him, on and offline, which is just plain weird.

This is Shabani who has played two senior games ever though (Regionalliga Bayern does not count, trust me).

The thing is that if MGW wants to develop in that position (he didn't play much if any Academy football there) then he needs games. Are we going to give them to him? In the current position? Probably not.

He also gets a lot of oddly negative stuff aimed at him, on and offline, which is just plain weird.
Yeah, never seen Shabani play but was more pointing out we signed him so must expect to play that type of player at some point.

Some of the stuff MGW gets is nuts, I thought he was the best player on the pitch first half against Braga - did well linking up with Jonny and got back well too. Only to read that he was 'fucking shit' according to others later [emoji2369]

A really frustrating game to watch - very much a case of nothing falling for us. I thought the keepers save from Doc's header was absolutely outstanding. Of course, he should have scored but credit where it's due. It came at the end of a nice move, one of several we made. We put together some nice touches on Thursday too and whilst we really need to be sharper and finish better, I'm not going to be too concerned because at least we're creating stuff.

Delighted we kept on going and managed to grab the equaliser because I thought we looked very low on confidence (understandably) after their goal and didn't create much after that.

A point is fair, and we can take some positives from today.

Back