• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Palace 1 v 1 Wolves: The Verdict Thread

Enough to be positive about. We've had some rotten luck today and come away with a point.

We need to rest the entire first XI against Reading

Watford is a massive game for both clubs.

Completely disagree with that. I'm not saying play the full first team against Reading, but we need a strong team out. A) we need to win a game and b) this comp represents our best chance of winning a cup. If we are not in Europe in 20/21 there will be a few players looking to leave

The Watford game is way more important than the Checkatrade game

We could mix up u18 and u23 for the Checkatrade game

They do, so depends on what the club prioritises. Assume for a moment that the team that started the game will be the same for Watford in the same formation. Then you could go:
---------------------Ruddy-------------
-----Bennett----Kilman----Vallejo-----
----?-----Neves----Gibbs White---Vinagre
-----?-------------Cutrone------Neto

Leaves 2 positions where you either pull someone out of the U23's or play someone who played yesterday.
352 would be the same, just an extra midfielder instead of one of the players on the right

I think we have to obey certain selection rules in the checkatrade. Not that I have checked because it is a competition that is correctly rock bottom of any priority list.

If we are not in Europe in 20/21 there will be a few players looking to leave

I see this a lot, but Jota is the only one I'd be worried about. The likes of Raul and Willy are too old to get a move into Europe unless they want to compromise the League they are playing in. In which case teams won't have the finances to get them. Neves wouldn't surprise me, but on his current trajectory I can see that being our choice if the money is strong enough

Hopefully this can be the foundation for really kicking on.

There were glimpses of last year's Wolves in there, and rescuing the point from the jaws of defeat could be huge for us going forwards- it's a bad start, no doubt about it, but there are green shoots of recovery in this one.

Still concerned by the second half performance, even before the sending off. Hoping that the 95th minute equaliser can act as a catalyst for us to kick on now as the overall performance is still a way off last seasons levels.

Pretty sure the under 23s have a Checkatrade game so a complete swap doesn’t look possible.
I'm sure we could leave 2 or 3 out of that one if we wanted to. Jordao, Sanderson and maybe Perry or Shabani.

Completely disagree with that. I'm not saying play the full first team against Reading, but we need a strong team out. A) we need to win a game and b) this comp represents our best chance of winning a cup. If we are not in Europe in 20/21 there will be a few players looking to leave

I think the carabao cup should be a priority too. Its the last major euro qualifying thing we won 39 to 40 years ago. I would go for some changes.

Ruddy

Bennett Coady Saiss if allowed, Kilman if not

Traore MGW Neves Dendonker Vinagre
Cutrone Neto

Decent enough, rests a few and gives some a chance to shine.

The League Cup is no easier to win than the FA Cup and falls at a more inconvenient time for us.

I want us to win every game we play but it's clearly fourth in line for us this season.

The League Cup is no easier to win than the FA Cup and falls at a more inconvenient time for us.

I want us to win every game we play but it's clearly fourth in line for us this season.

May be. Its the same for any team in Europe and , City and Liverpool aside, the playing field can be more even with premier sides fielding shadow teams in early rounds. Given we need a bit of form and a clean sheet, Reading would be a start for me. I see it as the easiest route to Europe. Secured in April too. Plenty of time to assure your league position after. This is a big season and already, it feels like we will do well to tread water let alone progress.

City have won 4 of the last 6, Chelsea and United won the other two.

We've been knocked out by a Premier League team in each of the last two seasons.

I'm not saying that we chuck the game (we don't have the resources to do so anyway unless we send out the U18s) but it's a myth that it's an easier route and we definitely do have more important things to think about.

We will obviously know more from tomorrow night who we will see, but would like Jordao and Shabani to be in the squad for the Reading game

That said, our issue hasn’t been fatigue (IMO) so I’m not so worried if we go strong against Carlisle for the U23s

Player I'd like to see in the squad is Elliott Watt - would like to see him get 20 minutes when we're 3-0 up, but assume he'll play Tuesday?

We will obviously know more from tomorrow night who we will see, but would like Jordao and Shabani to be in the squad for the Reading game

That said, our issue hasn’t been fatigue (IMO) so I’m not so worried if we go strong against Carlisle for the U23s

I'd agree that physically the players look fine, I think the issue is the mental tiredness.

That's just a guess though really isn't it (not saying you are right or wrong).

We had a heavy schedule in March/April last season (seven games in 29 days) and we did just fine overall, this after already playing the bulk of a season beforehand. In fact those results got us into Europe in the first place, our strong finish saw us ahead of the likes of Everton/Leicester.

That's just a guess though really isn't it (not saying you are right or wrong).

We had a heavy schedule in March/April last season (seven games in 29 days) and we did just fine overall, this after already playing the bulk of a season beforehand. In fact those results got us into Europe in the first place, our strong finish saw us ahead of the likes of Everton/Leicester.

Yeah, absolutely a guess but based on some of the silly mistakes we've been making and some players showing poor form.

We didn't have the travel factor last season to think about either.

I also think the lack of preparation time is hurting us.

I think all that puts us at 95-98% whereas last season we were at 102-105% if that makes sense?

City have won 4 of the last 6, Chelsea and United won the other two.

We've been knocked out by a Premier League team in each of the last two seasons.

I'm not saying that we chuck the game (we don't have the resources to do so anyway unless we send out the U18s) but it's a myth that it's an easier route and we definitely do have more important things to think about.

It's not an easier route come the quarter finals. But before then you have a real chance to knock out the big boys. You may still end up playing city in a final but also you could end up playing bradford

Last five years finals (winners first)
City v Chelsea
City v Arsenal
Utd v Southampton
City v Liverpool
Chelsea v Spurs

Sky 6 winners every year, 5 all Sky 6 finals. You don't prioritise this over any first team competition.

Man City vs Chelsea
Man City vs Arsenal
Man Utd vs Southampton
Man City vs Liverpool
Chelsea vs Tottenham
Man City vs Sunderland
Swansea vs Bradford
Liverpool vs Cardiff
Birmingham vs Arsenal
Man Utd vs Aston Villa (when Villa were good)
Man Utd vs Tottenham
Tottenham vs Chelsea
Chelsea vs Arsenal

Again it's a serious rarity. Wigan, Pompey, Stoke, Hull, Palace and Watford have made recent(ish) FA Cup finals by the same token.

Back