• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Palace 1 v 1 Wolves: The Verdict Thread

Boozad

Numbnuts / Moderator
Reaction score
A game of two halves and ultimately probably pretty lucky given our second half performance, but overall probably a deserved point. Especially after riding Palace's massive miss just a moment before our equaliser.

Fire away.

Dominant first 45
Should have been ahead
Flukey deflection
Players heads dropped
Nuno caved and went back to 3-5-2
Palace should have gone 2-0
We kept going and Ward ducked.

We thoroughly deserved that and the away end was absolutely crazy when Jota scored. I’ll go in to more later when i get back but as someone who has been very critical of Nuno’s tactics this season he got it bang on today. First half we were Wolves again and should have been out of sight. We play like that from now on and we’ll be back to last season.

We were excellent for the end 20 minutes of the second half, some lovely football and chances created.

Their goal was weird - straight from the kick off, willy Boly running around and getting nowhere near the ball, and then a huge deflection for them to score.

Saiss red card was beyond stupid, I hope he gets a huge fine, really let everyone down.

The equaliser was fortunate, despite an excellent cross from Adama and a good finish from Diogo, because Ward completely missed his clearing header.

We deserved a draw on the balance of play, but there’s still a lot of improvement to go.

First half we were Wolves again and should have been out of sight.

We should, same as against Braga. To be fair I think that speaks volumes about the lads to be 1-0 down to a flukey deflection after dominating, down to 10 men and seemingly dead on our feet to carry on and equalise. That took a lot balls and character.

Boly RCB and Saiss LCB looked good until Saiss got sent off

Firat half we were back to last seasons form. Missed too many chances, which will start going in.
2nd half they got very lucky, we battled well looked ok amd got the deserved equaliser

Good first half, crap finishing.

Our signings are not good enough.

That's what we take from this, tbh.

Does Saiss only miss the league cup game?

Yeah, two yellows is a one match ban.

All teams will go through a shitty patch where they just can't score, or they concede huge deflections or the ref stops play just as they break forward. Ours is right now and no doubt there'll be another later on. Same for everyone in the bottom half I'd imagine.

But if they can play like in the first half more regularly we should move away from the bottom three soon enough. First half they looked really composed and there's more than enough quality to start collecting points when we can finally, finally catch a fucking break.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

All teams will go through a shitty patch where they just can't score, or they concede huge deflections or the ref stops play just as they break forward. Ours is right now and no doubt there'll be another later on. Same for everyone in the bottom half I'd imagine.

But if they can play like in the first half more regularly we should move away from the bottom three soon enough. First half they looked really composed and there's more than enough quality to start collecting points when we can finally, finally catch a fucking break.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, and performance is important, the key is scoring goals.
We played well first half today but didn't take our chances. It nearly cost us the game.

If you don't score you can't win games.

Nuno got his tactics spot on first half, we should have been out of site. Sloppy defending and bad luck for their goal and we start reverting back to the same old crap. Saiss should be thanking the whole team for getting a point after his stupid red card.
Can’t knock the sides effort or determination, just hope that last minute goal helps build confidence.
Roy Hodgson thinks they’ve been robbed, take it he was in a coma.

Couldn’t get to see or hear the game today jd, can you elaborate?

Our first half was almost as good as last season's plays. We were dangerous and venemous, creating good chances which got squandered.

Second half starts, we concede a really lucky fluke of a goal. We were trying to get back in but completely unable to, Nuno tried to swap some pieces to get some better grip, Saiss gets sent off and no one of the replacements did any good, which includes Neves.

Neto is just not good enough for this level. Think we would have have kept Cav or Costa instead of getting me, would be better for us. Cutrone just seems to not work out.

Better. Not great, but better. I'm quite relieved to discover we can still play, tbh. About the right result, I thought.

We had 2 teams out there today. One capable of fast paced, intricate interplay, tight passing, good control and retained possession who on another day could have had a bagful. The other was asleep at the whistle, couldn't get the ball out of its feet, couldn't pass, gave the ball away, gave a goal away, gave away too many stupid fouls, eventually getting the ultimate punishment and scrambled a lucky last minute of added time equaliser.

The real positive is the fact that the lads didn't let their heads drop. They kept going, they kept pushing and eventually were rewarded for their efforts. From the players reactions at full time, coming away from Selhurst Park with a point meant a lot. Hopefully, this will galvanise the squad and we can start to push on in the League.

Nuno was brave today with his team selection, his team formation and his subs, and whilst fortune may not have favoured the brave, he was eventually rewarded.

Anyone proposing that the Board should be considering its list of hopeful others should take a good long look at themselves in the mirror.

You could feel the nerves in the players I thought, today.

They looked scared to try anything in the first ten minutes but grew into the game and we were good first half. Jota definitely looked like he should have scored from where I was standing.

Second half the goal shook us and we didn’t really look like scoring until Jota popped up.

Fair play to Nuno for his shit or bust, should take massive credit for that.

Coady and Boly looked comfortable today I thought and Jonny was our best player. Moutinho tidy as ever and Jota ran his arse off second half.

The Donk was poor and Doherty and Raul looked fucked. They both need a break. Docherty literally didn’t touch the ball for the first 20 minutes.

Scenes at the end.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, and performance is important, the key is scoring goals.
We played well first half today but didn't take our chances. It nearly cost us the game.

If you don't score you can't win games.
Agreed. But I thought the first half chances today were well worked, quality football. We're creating good opportunities but just haven't had the rub of the green. It'll come, there are clever players in our team who right now just aren't quite firing.

Over the course of 38 games I'm confident we've enough quality to be well away from the bottom three

Back