• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Palace 1 v 1 Wolves: The Verdict Thread

Yeah, never seen Shabani play but was more pointing out we signed him so must expect to play that type of player at some point.

Some of the stuff MGW gets is nuts, I thought he was the best player on the pitch first half against Braga - did well linking up with Jonny and got back well too. Only to read that he was 'fucking shit' according to others later [emoji2369]

I thought MGW was very good against Braga and although I don't see him play as many times as a lot of you, it was the best I've seen him since he first played for the first team. I got the impression previously that he thought he'd 'arrived'. Maybe needed a reality check.

I thought MGW was very good against Braga and although I don't see him play as many times as a lot of you, it was the best I've seen him since he first played for the first team. I got the impression previously that he thought he'd 'arrived'. Maybe needed a reality check.

Your last two sentences are what I really don't get - why do you get that impression? He hasn't changed, has always been a nice guy and comes across to us in the family enclosure quite regularly. I think people are putting odd views on him for no reason.

Admin hat on

I just wanted to make everyone aware that we're getting really fed up of the petty squabbles that seem to happen in every single matchday thread. And other threads too, but it's noticeable on match days. They completely ruin the threads, they're far too common these days and it puts people off the forum.

Maybe we've been too lenient on this in the past but the moderation team have discussed this recently and we're going to have to start dishing out bans for this kind of nonsense. Especially when people are warned by mods but seem determined to get the last word in. We don't want to ban people but we will to make the the place free from petty arguments.

We're all grown ups on here. If you're unable to resist biting back at members, why not try either of the following:

1. Logging off until you calm down
2. Utilising the ignore function

If you can't do either of these things and keep on bickering, you can't really complain if the mods take action against you.

So please can we see less of this childish nonsense and see a bit more self moderation and courtesy.

By all means ping myself or another moderator a PM if you wish to discuss this with us.

Cheers - back to the verdicts.

First half was ok, kiuyote stopped adama every time, we didnt have too many chances, fucked up every half chance we had (doc and donk). Zaha destroyed us, seemed likely to score or go down for a pen every time he got near the box, nobody we had could stop him.
Jota is taking too much time in the box, doesnt have that explosiveness from last season. Very happy with his goal, that should do wonders for his confidence. Raul had some great touches but seems tired. Disappointing from saiss, idiotic from him, no need for it, right in front of nuno too. Are you asking for a replacement? We desperately need another center half, you lot mocked me but cahill looked better than any of ours this match, including boly.
Coady was not convincing, benteke went round him easily when he came on, so lucky for us hes lost his confidence and shooting boots.
None of our subs were good enough this game, im giving cutrone atleast half a season before I judge but neto doesnt look ready for the pl just yet.

This version of Gary Cahill stands on the edge of his own box and heads it and kicks it clear. That's it. He can't run or turn any more and can't play any kind of a high line. Would never work for us, will probably do an ok short term job for Palace because that is how they defend and play.

Thought Zaha was pretty subdued tbh. Didn't create much of note at all and never looked like scoring himself. Jonny dealt with him fairly easily for the most part.

As for Palace, I've not seen such a half arsed, ineffectual performance from a professional footballer than Benteke's today. Absolute mince.

This version of Gary Cahill stands on the edge of his own box and heads it and kicks it clear. That's it. He can't run or turn any more and can't play any kind of a high line. Would never work for us, will probably do an ok short term job for Palace because that is how they defend and play.

Thought Zaha was pretty subdued tbh. Didn't create much of note at all and never looked like scoring himself. Jonny dealt with him fairly easily for the most part.

That’s how I saw it to be honest.

First 20 minutes, Jonny was getting the better of him so much that I’m pretty sure he swapped sides to get away from him.

Obviously had more impact second half when the game was stretched and we needed an equaliser - even more so when we went down to ten.

I must have watched a different game to most though because I though Jonny had a really solid game - just not the best when he found himself in attacking positions......but then that’s not his game.

As for Palace, I've not seen such a half arsed, ineffectual performance from a professional footballer than Benteke's today. Absolute mince.

Excuse me sir.

Marlon+Harewood+Lee+Bowyer+Birmingham+City+v_yBrKf16Upl.jpg

I know you may have wiped it from your memory but I haven't.

Jonny played pretty well today. Zaha definitely switched flanks because he was getting no joy against him.

Also, jonny got into some decent attacking positions but the ball wouldn't fall for him and so most of his opportunities to create anything were snuffed out. An he didn't put in any aimless, right footed, floated crosses direct to the keeper as well!

Agree to disagree, I thought zaha did really well, won free kicks, got some shots off, got a couple of yellows for our boys, including saiss getting sent off. He went past and round jonny early and got a great cross in but either ayew fucked it up or saiss cleared. Went by him again later on but moutinho came in to help. Went by boly for fun later on. I though their defence did a much better job stopping adama. Maybe Im biased since hes my fave english player along with coady

Agree to disagree, I thought zaha did really well, won free kicks, got some shots off, got a couple of yellows for our boys, including saiss getting sent off. He went past and round jonny early and got a great cross in but either ayew fucked it up or saiss cleared. Went by him again later on but moutinho came in to help. Went by boly for fun later on. I though their defence did a much better job stopping adama. Maybe Im biased since hes my fave english player along with coady

Agreed, thought Zaha played well today thought we struggled with him a bit.

Your last two sentences are what I really don't get - why do you get that impression? He hasn't changed, has always been a nice guy and comes across to us in the family enclosure quite regularly. I think people are putting odd views on him for no reason.

Just got the impression sometimes when he's made a bad pass he looks like he blames the player he's tried to pass to like it's their fault and not his. Also when he's lost the ball and looks at the ref for a non existent free kick.

Right as i said earlier i would expand on what i thought especially as i had been critical of Nuno and his tactics and our mentality this season and i think the first half really showed that i and others were right. We switched the formation up, we were much higher up the pitch in possession, pressed and attacked with pace and should have been at least 2 up by half time. We started ok but seemed unsure in the formation but then clicked into gear after 5 minutes. Average finishing was the reason we weren't and then we were punished with 40 seconds of the restart but that again was down to errors mainly by Boly who was beaten far too easily twice in the build up which admittedly did come from a possible foul on Adama and a definite foul throw.

Thought Palace were poor in general, the goal gave them more confidence and the red card gave them more space but only Schlupp and Zaha looked dangerous. Zaha never really looked like scoring but he was a constant threat and he makes defenders work hard because they know he can go past them so easily. He shrugged Jonny off early on and that was ominous but then we seemed to cope with him whether it was Jonny, Jota or Saiss and he had to switch sides which did nearly lead to a goal when he beat Boly but Coady/Patricio smothered him. Benteke is woeful and i was glad he came on as he just doesn't offer anything but height really these days and i still have no idea what Ward was doing at the end. Players wise i would say....

Patricio - Unlucky with the goal, commanded his area a few times and made a couple of massive saves late on which kept us in the game.

Boly - Moved to the right and wasn't at his best again for me. Zaha beat him too easily in the first half and was then beaten twice for the goal. Was relatively solid otherwise though and i do like him on that side with the ball.

Coady - Back to what we know, commanded and mopped up well. Only really got caught on his own by Benteke late on and Rui made the save.

Saiss - Thought he looked good again until he went to ground on Zaha, it was the other side of the pitch and it did look like Zaha made the most of it but it was silly. I was then fuming at his red card but after watching the replay he doesn't actually pull Zaha back but accidentally steps on him and so therefore i can let him off a little. No idea how the suspension work these days with league and cup but he should play next week if he can.

Doc - Quiet early on as we just sometimes refused to go down his and Adama's side. Made 2 great runs into the box and definitely should have had 1 goal if not 2 and he would have had he headed his chance down although it was a fantastic save. He's getting there and think he will be back to his best after the next international break.

Dendoncker - Better than his last 2 games but should have scored from Moutinho's corner. I didn't realise how good a chance it was until i saw the highlights but it's our best chance apart from the goal imo. He was also just a bit negative a times in possession and wasn't doing simple things like turning out wth it and kept going back into crowded areas but did improve with that.

Moutinho - I thought he oozed class again today. Excellent defensively and its just a shame we haven't got him at 28 as he would give us so much more going forward too.

Jonny - Looked like he was in for a tough afternoon early on but i thought he did well after that. Got forward well too and although he refused to shoot just before Doc's header he was a threat with Jota down that side.

Adama - Was ok up until Doc got taken off but found himself with a man in front of him followed by 3 forming a block behind that player a lot and that's tough especially when we still sometimes give it him and run away, he needs players to bounce the ball off in those situations so he can then come inside to get away from the block. Did well defensively too and his cross for the equaliser was brilliant even though he wasn't closed down well enough from a Palace point of view

Jimenez - He's not quite right at the moment and i think he should be given a rest. First thing that goes when you're tired is your touch and all too often today his touch was very heavy and loose. Great cross to Doc though and was still a good target for us and worked hard but his usual quality wasn't there.

Jota - Maybe today is the day we get Jota from the second half of last season back. Don't like him in the 3-4-3 unless he's going to keep coming inside as he's infinitely more dangerous when within the width of the box as proved by his missed chance, goal and his numerous runs at the Palace defence that had them rattled.

Subs - It was hard for them all in general to come in to a game when they did for different reasons but they all worked hard and gave us something. Neves the best of the 3 and not as deep as he had been in the last few games but he really needs to be more positive in possession because he's got the ability to play those passes and unlock teams as well as find the net from distance. I would like to see Cutrone get a few games with Jota and in an attacking minded team and Neto needs to play in the Cup games from the start as well as coming on for minutes in league games so he can used to the pace and physicality of the Premier League at his pace.

Nuno knew he had to change something and on top of the formation our mentality was different from the start, we just looked more like the old Wolves. We were organised, linked up well and looked like we could score every time we went forward. We do still need to move the ball quicker at times but that will come with confidence and a realisation that we are as good as we proved last year. We deserved a point imo after our first half performance and the fact that we never gave up which will hopefully give us the confidence needed for next week in massive game.

Saiss is banned for Reading as far as I can work out.

Accumulation of yellows is competition-specific - but red cards still get the usual automatic ban.

PL website has him down as being available next week

"It’s about the bond that is created between ourselves and the fans. A word of appreciation for them because when we were losing they were singing, supporting us and pushing us forward. We cannot thank them enough." - Nuno

Nice thankyou to everyone who travelled and never gave up.

Enough to be positive about. We've had some rotten luck today and come away with a point.

We need to rest the entire first XI against Reading

Watford is a massive game for both clubs.

Pretty sure the under 23s have a Checkatrade game so a complete swap doesn’t look possible.

Back