• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2023/24

Potentially setting myself up for exposing my lack of BB knowledge. Effectively its a foul if the attacking player runs or aggressively contacts a defender who is considered "setup".

Its not on the defender to concede their ground and is determined that the attacker has initiated the contact, so something like that. You see it a lot like yesterday or with other players in the Prem where they initiate contact with the defender, where the contact is within the natural frame of the defender.

Potentially setting myself up for exposing my lack of BB knowledge. Effectively its a foul if the attacking player runs or aggressively contacts a defender who is considered "setup".

Its not on the defender to concede their ground and is determined that the attacker has initiated the contact, so something like that. You see it a lot like yesterday or with other players in the Prem where they initiate contact with the defender, where the contact is within the natural frame of the defender.
Is the law not similar already in football, its just the refs get conned easily?

When did @YoungWolf lose the gig for the Guardians fans articles? I’m not sure if this bloke(?) is a fan as his view that we need to recruit battle hardened pros to replace bench warmers (except Neves) is like something that an opposition fan would be saying.

Yeah, I mean opinions and all that, but none of that adds up.

Also looks extra daft after yesterday.

Looked like a pen to me even though it was also a dive. I had a great view as, camping in a far flung corner of Brittany, a good few hours from Rennes, we’d stumbled into a bar in a small fishing village that turned out to be run by some serious Stade Rennais fans. Not sure if we were more surprised to find the footy on a big screen or they to find my daughter turn up in a Wolves shirt. Turned out to be a great late lunch, not for our new mates though obviously.

Whether it’s a pen or not it’s a black mark on Dawson’s match report as he got totally spun by the Rennes’ forward. He looks a bit rusty still which is a smidge worrying.

Whether it’s a pen or not it’s a black mark on Dawson’s match report as he got totally spun by the Rennes’ forward. He looks a bit rusty still which is a smidge worrying.
All starts from us losing the ball and suddenly it was 2 Rennes attackers on to Dawson and Kilman (who as per, didn't attack the loose ball in the first place to start the break). Those pair will always struggle in that situation so best not to play ourselves into it.

Dawson was invaluable to us last season and I'm pleased we have him for another year (probably not much longer than that, mind) but he's fallible in his own right, he's miles off what peak Boly was.

He looks a bit cack in general so far, hopefully he'll get back to summat like last seasons form.
From our seats about 100 yards away it looked like a pen, having seen a couple of replays the guy looked a long way away from Dawson, stupid of Dawson to leave his leg out though. Tbf I thought the one on Semedo was a (soft) pen too.

They
All starts from us losing the ball and suddenly it was 2 Rennes attackers on to Dawson and Kilman (who as per, didn't attack the loose ball in the first place to start the break). Those pair will always struggle in that situation so best not to play ourselves into it.

Dawson was invaluable to us last season and I'm pleased we have him for another year (probably not much longer than that, mind) but he's fallible in his own right, he's miles off what peak Boly was.
Theyre always going to struggle with two players running at them. Silly to expose them to it.

No need for concern

Most CHs are miles off peak Boly. At his peak he was ahead of any CH I’ve seen play for us in 50 years.

Most CHs are miles off peak Boly. At his peak he was ahead of any CH I’ve seen play for us in 50 years.
Difficult to compare players half a century apart but you'll probably get an argument featuring Frank Munro.
But yes he was quality.

Difficult to compare players half a century apart but you'll probably get an argument featuring Frank Munro.
But yes he was quality.
I saw Munro at the end of his career - I’d have been 13 when he left us - so memories are a bit vague but I never saw him as one of our standout performers. There are very few CHs I’d swap peak Boly for. Such a shame that an injury and Covid left him a shadow of the player he was.

I saw Munro at the end of his career - I’d have been 13 when he left us - so memories are a bit vague but I never saw him as one of our standout performers. There are very few CHs I’d swap peak Boly for. Such a shame that an injury and Covid left him a shadow of the player he was.
Similar age to me, maybe you're right, tbf I don't remember noticing much of the defensive side, I was obsessed with Waggy and JR then

We’ve got lots to build on after seeing the 3 games this week and I can’t see us struggling as long as Julen stays and we get a couple of reinforcements in but we’re not far off anyway. Julen needs to play a forward infront of Cunha at all times though and we need to play our best central midfielders. On the players though

Sa - Did what he had to do. One journey out of his box but dealt with it. Went the right way on the penalty but was never saving it.

Semedo - Just not having him at the moment. Overall he’s a better 1vs 1 defender than Doc but over the last 3 games i’d be picking the Irishman. Jogged back from a nothing position for the penalty again.

Dawson - Actually thought this was Dawson’s best performance in the 3 games. Left isolated for the penalty but as i was right behind it in the southbank it was never a penalty. Stood his ground, Kalimuendo is past him but he just kicks out at Dawson and dropped. Would expect VAR to overturn it and much like out shouts for penalties in the second half, they just shouldn’t be given.

Kilman - Better again but worried about him not always being aggressive enough. When he is he looks really good. Need to keep his line better too and not drop yards behind the other 3 following striker runs.

RAN - No way should we be selling him. Great goal, reasonably solid and carries the ball so well. So much talent, still don’t understand the reservations about his defending either and hopefully is back in the good books.

Hodge - Just not quite good enough. Needs to be more expansive with his passing and more aggressive with everything he does. Needs a loan.

Lemina - Should have scored in the first half but overall ok. Looked better with Gomes next to him and still a big player for us.

Matheus N - What a footballer. Could watch him play all day. More suited to the right than the left but would love to see him play central more too. If he improves his finishing he’s a frightening player and genuinely could get in most sides. Excellent for his 2 assists and there’s more to come i think.

Neto - Still quick and looked a little better but just not clicking for me. Movement not as good as others and need to be more direct like he used to be.

Sarabia - He’s a good footballer but I don’t think he quite fits in to our best 11 at the moment in open play which is a shame because his set pieces are very good.

Cunha - He’s brilliant but never a 9. Wants to drop deep and track back too much to be the main striker. When he did this in the first half it left a hole, second half that changed and he’s just relentless.

Subs

Bueno - Did well against Doku and Doue who were a genuine threat and offers a lot going forward too. Think he and RAN should both get game time.

Gomes - Outstanding already, no way Hodge should be playing when we’ve got Joao in the squad. Changed the game in the middle and took his goal so calmly.

Hwang - We all know he’s not always the best technically but his movement and his work rate is outstanding. At the moment i think he probably should be starting as he looks more of a threat than Neto.

Fabio - He or Sasa have to play in front of Cunha. Looks to have a real connection with Matheus and his little leave for the second goal was very good. Too many flicks yesterday but has looked like a proper option in all 3 games.

Doc - I think he’s looked better than Semedo in the 3 games. Links up with players better has has defended reasonably well. Never thought i’d say this in a back four but he would be first choice right back for me at the moment while realising that could be awful as soon as Monday if Rashford runs at him.

Toti - Did well although by this time we had fended Rennes off really and they definitely looked less of a threat when the front 4 went off.

Kalajdzic - Please stay fit. He’s a proper footballer as shown by his hold up play for the 3rd goal. I think we’ve got 2 genuine striker options now with different attributes that we can really use.

Jonny - Didn’t have much to do really and can’t see him playing much if we can’t offload him. Shame as before his acl’s was an outstanding full back/wing back.

Traore - Great option, just offers us something physical in the middle and always looking to be positive.

King - Think we saw from his one real save why he’s third choice and just a body. Hopefully he never has to play at this level.

Rennes looked decent but we were always the better side. Kalimuendo, Doue and Le Fee their best players but was disappointed by Gouiri who never looked to get involved enough.

It’s good to see us play good attacking football and having options in those forward positions. Long may that continue and it looks like the players have got a bit of understanding in the final third which can hopefully lead to goals. Looking forward to Old Trafford now.

We’ve got lots to build on after seeing the 3 games this week and I can’t see us struggling as long as Julen stays and we get a couple of reinforcements in but we’re not far off anyway. Julen needs to play a forward infront of Cunha at all times though and we need to play our best central midfielders. On the players though

Sa - Did what he had to do. One journey out of his box but dealt with it. Went the right way on the penalty but was never saving it.

Semedo - Just not having him at the moment. Overall he’s a better 1vs 1 defender than Doc but over the last 3 games i’d be picking the Irishman. Jogged back from a nothing position for the penalty again.

Dawson - Actually thought this was Dawson’s best performance in the 3 games. Left isolated for the penalty but as i was right behind it in the southbank it was never a penalty. Stood his ground, Kalimuendo is past him but he just kicks out at Dawson and dropped. Would expect VAR to overturn it and much like out shouts for penalties in the second half, they just shouldn’t be given.

Kilman - Better again but worried about him not always being aggressive enough. When he is he looks really good. Need to keep his line better too and not drop yards behind the other 3 following striker runs.

RAN - No way should we be selling him. Great goal, reasonably solid and carries the ball so well. So much talent, still don’t understand the reservations about his defending either and hopefully is back in the good books.

Hodge - Just not quite good enough. Needs to be more expansive with his passing and more aggressive with everything he does. Needs a loan.

Lemina - Should have scored in the first half but overall ok. Looked better with Gomes next to him and still a big player for us.

Matheus N - What a footballer. Could watch him play all day. More suited to the right than the left but would love to see him play central more too. If he improves his finishing he’s a frightening player and genuinely could get in most sides. Excellent for his 2 assists and there’s more to come i think.

Neto - Still quick and looked a little better but just not clicking for me. Movement not as good as others and need to be more direct like he used to be.

Sarabia - He’s a good footballer but I don’t think he quite fits in to our best 11 at the moment in open play which is a shame because his set pieces are very good.

Cunha - He’s brilliant but never a 9. Wants to drop deep and track back too much to be the main striker. When he did this in the first half it left a hole, second half that changed and he’s just relentless.

Subs

Bueno - Did well against Doku and Doue who were a genuine threat and offers a lot going forward too. Think he and RAN should both get game time.

Gomes - Outstanding already, no way Hodge should be playing when we’ve got Joao in the squad. Changed the game in the middle and took his goal so calmly.

Hwang - We all know he’s not always the best technically but his movement and his work rate is outstanding. At the moment i think he probably should be starting as he looks more of a threat than Neto.

Fabio - He or Sasa have to play in front of Cunha. Looks to have a real connection with Matheus and his little leave for the second goal was very good. Too many flicks yesterday but has looked like a proper option in all 3 games.

Doc - I think he’s looked better than Semedo in the 3 games. Links up with players better has has defended reasonably well. Never thought i’d say this in a back four but he would be first choice right back for me at the moment while realising that could be awful as soon as Monday if Rashford runs at him.

Toti - Did well although by this time we had fended Rennes off really and they definitely looked less of a threat when the front 4 went off.

Kalajdzic - Please stay fit. He’s a proper footballer as shown by his hold up play for the 3rd goal. I think we’ve got 2 genuine striker options now with different attributes that we can really use.

Jonny - Didn’t have much to do really and can’t see him playing much if we can’t offload him. Shame as before his acl’s was an outstanding full back/wing back.

Traore - Great option, just offers us something physical in the middle and always looking to be positive.

King - Think we saw from his one real save why he’s third choice and just a body. Hopefully he never has to play at this level.

Rennes looked decent but we were always the better side. Kalimuendo, Doue and Le Fee their best players but was disappointed by Gouiri who never looked to get involved enough.

It’s good to see us play good attacking football and having options in those forward positions. Long may that continue and it looks like the players have got a bit of understanding in the final third which can hopefully lead to goals. Looking forward to Old Trafford now.
Agree with much of this but don't think we'll ever agree on Semedo. Thought he was excellent yesterday, he does make mistakes but overall he is significantly better than Doc, I even thought he was better in an attacking sense yesterday, Doc on the other hand didn't seem very interested, especially after he went onto midfield, just wondered aimlessly around, one link up move from my memory.
Think it will be a while before Sasa starts a league game, nowhere near fit or mobile enough yet.

Back