• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2023/24

Yeah, more that I've come to think that experience in the Prem does matter to an extent. It won't save you if you're four years over the hill (Walcott) or a chicken-shit racist cunt (Shelvey), though.

Not just a few and not just yesterday. He's an excellent footballer.
Obviiusly talented but I expected a bit more from him last season but he was very good yesterday, whether he can keep that standard up during a league season remains to be seen, I'm hopeful.

We lost 1 starter who, tbh, we have already replaced with the midfielders we have. The rest were bench fodder who seemed past their best anyway. He comes across as the type of twitter knob, keyboard warrior who doesn’t understand football at all
giphy.gif

I don't agree with him (or even close) on this one but steady on!

Obviiusly talented but I expected a bit more from him last season but he was very good yesterday, whether he can keep that standard up during a league season remains to be seen, I'm hopeful.
It doesn't really remain to be seen though, he's maintained that standard his whole career.

It doesn't really remain to be seen though, he's maintained that standard his whole career.
Must admit I didn't see or note any of his previous career, thought he looked fine for the price we paid last season but was hoping for a few goals and assists. After yesterday, I think we'll see some.

If we get scott, and the defender (forgotten name swiss guy i think) we are after, plus chiquino and mosquera available from jan this is a good squad, especially when sasa is up to speed.

Compared to the Prem, how would you rate Rennes?
Is it a relevant / valid comparison with all these reports and comments on how we played against them, but is it at all a realistic comparison do you think?

Only one French team (PSG) in the top 30 of UEFA's rankings (7 Premier league teams in there) Lyon are 31st and Rennes are 47th (we're 80th).

However Rangers are 30th and Leicester are 62nd so make of that what you will.

Compared to the Prem, how would you rate Rennes?
Is it a relevant / valid comparison with all these reports and comments on how we played against them, but is it at all a realistic comparison do you think?

They'd played both West Ham.and Forest preseason and given them both thumpings. Obviously they aren't comparable with the top PL sides but they aren't mugs.

So just reading those few responses, if they're better than say 6 or 7 teams in the Prem, our performance could be a possible source of encouraging self belief? As in if we play like that against them consistently then we have a good chance of being mid table finishers...

Or, it was a pre season friendly, they may have been trying some different things in the different games and so a caveat needs adding to any conclusions drawn.

So just reading those few responses, if they're better than say 6 or 7 teams in the Prem, our performance could be a possible source of encouraging self belief? As in if we play like that against them consistently then we have a good chance of being mid table finishers...
Surely you just judge it on how we played, given they obviously aren't crap.

That's what triggered the question.
"..... they aren't mugs."
Which hopefully puts them say, above 5 or 6 from the bottom?

That's what triggered the question.
"..... they aren't mugs."
Which hopefully puts them say, above 5 or 6 from the bottom?
They finished 4th in Ligue 1, did the double over PSG and qualified from their group in the Europa League.

They’re a very young squad though so they are inconsistent. No idea where they would finish in the Premier League that’s always hard to judge. I would imagine some of their forward players in particular will be in demand by Premier League teams next summer if they produce what they are capable of.

Back