• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season 2023/24

Without wanting to piss on everybody's cornflakes, it is worth remembering that we failed to score against a side that if they were relegated by Christmas nobody would be that surprised. 😬
We didn't lose to a side that if they were relegated by Christmas nobody would be that surprised by either :D

Without wanting to piss on everybody's cornflakes, it is worth remembering that we failed to score against a side that if they were relegated by Christmas nobody would be that surprised. 😬
Well you just did, so there. Can we apply that buy back clause on Giles now please?

With Giles' delivery I'd say there's a decent chance Luton get a couple of results you'd otherwise say they had no business getting.

When he's on the pitch and you forget about the fee and all that, it's really hard not to like Fabio. Really hope he develop into a decent player.

It sounds churlish as we could've scored a few, but there won't be many Premier League teams that fire a blank for Luton at home.

I don't want Hwang on the pitch. I don't really like Nunes off the right either but if he's not trusted in the middle then I guess needs must. We do really lack some midfield running and creativity though. Entertaining game though, enjoyed it, and think the players took it seriously too

Thought Traore looked good and woeful at the same time. Sasa similar (obviously rusty).

Fabio was our best player. Doc handy in attacking situations.

Hwang and Nunes is just never going to reliably create anything. One isnt good enough and the other just isn’t a wide midfielder/winger/forward.

Everyone else was fine

I’d be happy with Elvedi and Scott to come in. Think that would be enough. No idea why we can’t spend £30m on these and still make a massive profit in fees and wages.

I’d be happy with Elvedi and Scott to come in. Think that would be enough. No idea why we can’t spend £30m on these and still make a massive profit in fees and wages.
Really do agree with this. Maybe another wide attacker (as you say Hwang and Nunes shouldn’t really be options in that position). The attitude by Fosun towards this is baffling.

Thought Traore looked good and woeful at the same time. Sasa similar (obviously rusty).

Fabio was our best player. Doc handy in attacking situations.

Hwang and Nunes is just never going to reliably create anything. One isnt good enough and the other just isn’t a wide midfielder/winger/forward.

Everyone else was fine

Is the accounting for Cunha and Traore potentially involved as an issue? As thats 61m that's counted or financed from this window. I am not savvy enough to know but was thinking about it earlier?

Scott is more of an odd one as we’ve scouted him a long time and the resale value is arguably there. Wonder if Bournemouth being in for him will cause a rocket.

Interesting to see what he goes with Saturday.

Clearly a mixed team today but can’t see it not being…

Sa

Doc (🎣) Dawson Kilman Bueno

Nunes/Sarabia Lemina Gomes Neto/Hwang (😔)

Cunha Fabio

Obviously the forward position has a lot of question marks but there’s a lot of money invested there so that’s what we will go with. But the wide positions are clearly a weak area in the starting XI for me.

Might have to get Fabio on a shirt for the 2nd time at this rate

Do you think it would work well with him and Cunha? Would it kinda be interchangeable, as Fabio seems to do well coming short?

Silva was very good tonight. Not been his biggest fan but no issue saying when he plays well and definitely no problem with him being in the 11 if he's developed and improved away on loan. Encouraged by Kalajdzic, rust there but you can see plenty of good and encouraging things there with him if he can stay fit, I don't see how these 2 can be worse options than we had last season which makes it all the more frustrating that we can't just get the few players in we need to make this squad have a chance of a decent season.

Is the accounting for Cunha and Traore potentially involved as an issue? As thats 61m that's counted or financed from this window. I am not savvy enough to know but was thinking about it earlier?
It is part of the problem but it depends on what the owners want in terms of an FFP or a cashflow profit. From a cashflow point of view, on the basis that everything is paid for or received in one go (it won't be !) when they are bought or sold, then we have a surplus of around £40m on current purchases/sales in this window. For all we know we already needed that for repaying loans or running costs so none of it may be available for new signings.
From an FFP point of view we have profits of about £70m less £15m of amortisation of the new signings/sales.
Therefore from an FFP point of view we could sign £60m of additional new signings (based on 4 year deals) and still have a £40m profit in this windows activities, or £30m on new signings and a £50m profit.

It all points towards a cashflow problem and nothing to do with FFP.

Having gone on Saturday and tonight I thought that, until the changes on the hour, we looked much sharper and had better links ups in play this evening than we did at the weekend.
The opposition was different I know and this would be most people’s second string but I thought the tempo was good and a few gave performances that might just force them into first eleven reckoning.

Bentley with his higher starting position is an option because we lack pace at the back as Celtic showed, Doc proved you can get away without needing to actually be in a normal RB position against teams with two lumps up front, Toti continues to put his hand up to be considered as one of the two centre halfs, Traore gives us legs in midfield (plus a certain booking for those who like a bet on such things), Gomes is still carrying a knock but will be a big player this season and Fabio (despite all my and many others prior knocking) deserves to start on Saturday and against United. His touch, energy and effort was good and physically he’s a stronger and quicker than before.

Sasa doesn’t look ready yet and Hwang isn’t putting any pressure on Neto [who looked poor in tonight’s cameo after impressing on Saturday] and its heads or tails at LB for me.

The squad is ‘alright’ and the outgoings don’t really hurt us - three quality additions and we’re not too far off. Unfortunately if they don’t happen we’re a few injuries away from struggling and goals still looks as elusive as ever. Cunha, Sarabia, Neto, Nunes and Hwang all need to make better fists of the chances they get, while Sasa and Silva need to be getting 10-15 between them.

It seems as though Giles put in a number of good crosses, presumably from the left.

Could somebody who saw the game give an opinion as to whether it was good play by Luton or not so good defending by Wolves.

It seems as though Giles put in a number of good crosses, presumably from the left.

Could somebody who saw the game give an opinion as to whether it was good play by Luton or not so good defending by Wolves.
I think he can get a good cross in from any position. Even if a defender is sticking closely to him. Kinda like Bueno has the nack for it at times.

Keep hearing about Giles and his miraculous crossing ability.

Crossing is an important part of football - but only if that’s the way you play. I don’t see Grealish and Bernardo Silva whipping in crosses with either foot.

We could have had prime John Barnes playing wide for us last season and it wouldn’t have made a blind bit of difference.

How did our new goalie do?
Though it doesn't sound like he was put under much pressure...
Positioning, handling, kicking, command of the area, etc.
How would you rate him vs Sa?

Back