• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season Fixture thread (22/23)

No, we tried a back four in pre-season and looked beyond abysmal.

It's not about "shitting themselves", it's that we didn't look very good for months, the manager could have changed a lot of things and chose not to, so while it might be different now, there's limited evidence to suggest it will be. And 14 games is a very decent sample size, it's not a blip. We also weren't great when we were winning for the most part, the odd good performance (United and Spurs away, West Ham at home) but more often we were average at absolute best and won. We haven't had that very often in the PL. At Brentford we had two shots and both went in. Fortunate to win at home to Southampton, they missed a gilt-edged chance to make it 2-2 then we scored more or less straight after. Villa away, FFS. Total robbery.

I want us to play some good, exciting football as it's just cost me a lot of money to sit through it again, I don't want us to be shit.

Last edited:
It did (mainly as our wingbacks are never going to be goalscoring/assisting machines, and Doherty wasn't one either before anyone brings him up).

But he didn't *have* to play that way. We were losing all the time with three at the back, as I say, that form is inexcusably awful. What was there to lose from trying something else, wasn't like we could get fewer than 0 points out of games? Didn't even try it at home to already relegated Norwich when there was effectively nothing at all to play for.
2nd paragraph I 100% agree with but I don't think he had the appetite for trying to use Coady and Boly in a back 4. Understandably, it would have been even more disastrous and I think for all the talk towards the end of last season of him losing the dressing room, trying to change the system in the middle of a bad run with potentially damaging consequences would doubtless have lost the dressing room that was still with him!

And he was sacked
With the most non sacking sacking in history.

Off you pop son but we will spend the week getting all emotional and give you a good send off first.

I do wonder how fans would have reacted in the ground after the Chorley escape and Albion defeat. Nuno probably escaped the worst of the Wolves fans

But then (with no way to prove this) I doubt we'd have lost to Albion with fans. We weren't very good but could easily have had 4 or 5 at HT. The complete non start in the second half and non reaction wouldn't have happened.

For anyone keeping track, Alaves beat Besiktas 2-1 earlier today.

But then (with no way to prove this) I doubt we'd have lost to Albion with fans. We weren't very good but could easily have had 4 or 5 at HT.
We should but some very odd decisions in the 2nd half. We were in a horrible run in the league as well at the time.

We should but some very odd decisions in the 2nd half. We were in a horrible run in the league as well at the time.
You have to wonder if the ref (was it Dean?) gives a pen against Boly and doesn't give handball against Gibbs if there are fans in the ground.

But then again...

You have to wonder if the ref (was it Dean?) gives a pen against Boly and doesn't give handball against Gibbs if there are fans in the ground.

But then again...

....and changed the rules the following week regarding silhouettes and the Boly one wouldn't have been given. The Gibbs one would have been given, and should have been anyway, if 20 odd thousand were shouting handball.

I wouldn't give that Paul C the time of day :ROFLMAO:

Bench is embarrassing. Not a single player I’d want to come on.

Are sporting playing a strong team?

I can still see us lining up 3-5-2 at Leeds. Coady in for Podence/Donck/MGW

The lack of striker is a concern but otherwise that's a decent first 11.

Room to upgrade on Dendocker, Podence with the sort of signings we should be able to attract but otherwise decent enough.

Depth as mentioned is a concern, only need to lose one or two really key players and that becomes a completey different side.

Trincao, Goncalves and Nunes start for sporting. Looks full strength from the 6 players I recognise

I can't see it unless we switch to it in the second half. We won’t have tried Coady, Collins and Kilman as a 3 at all which you'd have thought we would do at some point if that's the plan. Unless we get taken apart today of course

I just don't see that at all. We've not played any of the first team in that formation this preseason

I just don't see that at all. We've not played any of the first team in that formation this preseason
Suddenly we're expecting Bruno to be sensible, I see. ;)

Back