• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season Fixture thread (22/23)

Well, I've just put a tenner on us to get relegated. I'm not sure we actually will, but the odds will surely shorten if we're going to playing like that.

Well, I've just put a tenner on us to get relegated. I'm not sure we actually will, but the odds will surely shorten if we're going to playing like that.
GFFH has just nobbled you for £10.

343 to 433 could work like that, sweeper becomes DM, but trying to go 4231 from 343 is no simple transition, too many moving parts. Attempting to do so with some squiffy asymmetrical bullshit is frankly laughable.
Does anyone do it that way round now. The Beckenbauer/Baresi sweeper model? Unless you continue with the lopsided approach then for us that has to be Coady, which would have a world of pain built in to it

Rather than backing us to go down, I'm tempted by 14/1 on us being bottom on Xmas Day

So 3-4-3 from last season for the rest of the games which we won 2 of our last 14.

We're going to be relegated if we don't change something.
We missed a lot of key players during that run (Semedo, Kilman, Podence, Neves a few games) Plus potentially adding a new midfielder player, centre back and having Neto & Gibbs-White raring to go. Maybe even Traore if no decent bid comes in.

We missed a lot of key players during that run (Semedo, Kilman, Podence, Neves a few games) Plus potentially adding a new midfielder player, centre back and having Neto & Gibbs-White raring to go. Maybe even Traore if no decent bid comes in.
I think Jonny is better than Semedo but agree with you on Neves and I don't think we missed Kilman.

But our general style of play was one of turgid non-creation and that is on Lage playing 3-4-3 when he can't coach it.

That's not his fault he just isn't good enough to do so and the players he has can't do any other formation.

The board have failed Lage and Lage is failing the players.

Thanks for the info though GFFH, could you relay back to your source that Jeff Shi is a cunt?

I think Jonny is better than Semedo but agree with you on Neves and I don't think we missed Kilman.

But our general style of play was one of turgid non-creation and that is on Lage playing 3-4-3 when he can't coach it.

That's not his fault he just isn't good enough to do so and the players he has can't do any other formation.

The board have failed Lage and Lage is failing the players.

Thanks for the info though GFFH, could you relay back to your source that Jeff Shi is a cunt?
Bit over the top, no? Take a deep breath or something.

Thing that gets me with the Chiquinho 'plan'...

If that's his brilliant idea that he wants to stick with, why the hell did he drop him against Norwich?

Surely in an absolutely nothing game against feeble opposition, try it out. But no.

Chiquinho is an out and out winger to me, not a RWB. We've tried this with Traore and it wasn't very good. Not that they're the same player or even type of player but Chiquinho has got some promise going forward, why even hamper that? Especially in such a lopsided fucked up formation?

Chiquinho is an out and out winger to me, not a RWB. We've tried this with Traore and it wasn't very good. Not that they're the same player or even type of player but Chiquinho has got some promise going forward, why even hamper that? Especially in such a lopsided fucked up formation?
Everyone forgets the day Adama put Sterling in his pocket at RWB and then went up front in a 2 and score twice in 10 mins.

Like he wanted 90 mins to show every manager they are right, he can do these things they claim but then go ha fuck you back to lamping a cross in the South Bank I go

Does anyone do it that way round now. The Beckenbauer/Baresi sweeper model? Unless you continue with the lopsided approach then for us that has to be Coady, which would have a world of pain built in to it

I'd never choose to play any mighty-morphin-power-changers formation but at least that's only reliant on one person doing anything a bit untoward and is still balanced.

Italy did it in one fairly recent tournament to good effect with De Rossi, Chelsea did it with Luiz, maybe Chile with Medel too? If I were doing it with Wolves I'd be spending the summer looking at Dendoncker in that flexible central role. We know Coady is a poor Championship central midfielder, playing as a sweeper for 4 years isn't going to have improved that.

The whole notion feels kind of backwards to me though, why would you want to create an extra defender when you have the ball and lose one when you don't have it? You often have teams lining up with a back four that become a quasi back three in possession with one sitting midfielder but how many top teams hold two players back to allow one man to go forwards?

I don't see any formation change being a silver bullet to Wolves' current problems, we've been through this before, but haphazard garbage like this musical chairs football is a bonkers idea to get some of these human chess pieces to move about on the pitch.

Back