• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Pre-Season Fixture thread (22/23)

Everyone forgets the day Adama put Sterling in his pocket at RWB and then went up front in a 2 and score twice in 10 mins.

Like he wanted 90 mins to show every manager they are right, he can do these things they claim but then go ha fuck you back to lamping a cross in the South Bank I go
1 swallow...

I'm sure you had a good game once.

Nope. You don't play in Welsh Leagues if you are any good.

See Edwards, D for an example...
It's all relative, I'm sure you had your Adama moment at some point.

It's all relative, I'm sure you had your Adama moment at some point.
You do know I wasn't say Adama is an ace RWB don't you?

Over his time with us 2 managers have tried to use him at RWB and a central player and generally its not worked but in 1 game he showed he could do it but his whole career is going to be one huge frustration.

Conte wanted him as a RWB 6 months ago. That had gone through I reckon he would have lost the brilliant hair transplant work he had done.

You do know I wasn't say Adama is an ace RWB don't you?

Over his time with us 2 managers have tried to use him at RWB and a central player and generally its not worked but in 1 game he showed he could do it but his whole career is going to be one huge frustration.

Conte wanted him as a RWB 6 months ago. That had gone through I reckon he would have lost the brilliant hair transplant work he had done.
Erm... That was my point...

We missed a lot of key players during that run (Semedo, Kilman, Podence, Neves a few games) Plus potentially adding a new midfielder player, centre back and having Neto & Gibbs-White raring to go. Maybe even Traore if no decent bid comes in.
You think MGW stays?

The Man City game is massively overstated.

We parked the bus and he just had to stand there. Don’t get beaten round the outside 1v1 which is never going to happen against Sterling as he’s quicker AND stronger. Defenders aren’t normally both! We sat so deep there was no space in behind to play it round him and even if you did he had recovery speed and we had the box loaded to just clear it.

We then shove him up front and he scores two great goals, which was great. But let’s not pretend him at RWB was a defensive masterclass. Ryan Bennett managed the same who has nil pace in comparison playing in a reserve team from the championship.

Adama just had to stand in roughly the right place and we had no interest in doing anything in their half.

You think MGW stays?
No idea on that one but I think with two years left Bruno will get him involved and then both sides give it another window before contracts are signed or bids accepted. If Forest bid really big though who knows but Morgan would be mad to refuse a chance here in a side much better than one he could be going to.

No idea on that one but I think with two years left Bruno will get him involved and then both sides give it another window before contracts are signed or bids accepted. If Forest bid really big though who knows but Morgan would be mad to refuse a chance here in a side much better than one he could be going to.
Based on what I saw from February onwards I’m not sure “much better” is a given.

Based on what I saw from February onwards I’m not sure “much better” is a given.

Forest looked good in the last half of the season, but the Championship and PL are different beasts. I rate Cooper but they have a lot to do

Forest looked good in the last half of the season, but the Championship and PL are different beasts. I rate Cooper but they have a lot to do
I think they'll be next seasons Wolves, Sheff U and Leeds of previous years.

Good home support, positive attacking style, they're on a crest of a wave, i think they'll have a particularly good start to the season.

Complacently assuming we are better than promoted clubs is what got us relegated last time

Last time we went down we'd been battling at the bottom during most of our stay. Even last season we were challenging for Europe till the last few months.

For all our faults we're still more streetwise in this league than a club that hasn't had a sniff of it for 20 years, and we still have players who have proven they can perform competitively in the PL.

No complacency from me, just a bit of balance

I think they'll be next seasons Wolves, Sheff U and Leeds of previous years.

Good home support, positive attacking style, they're on a crest of a wave, i think they'll have a particularly good start to the season.

I know all this mate, I live in Nottingham 😅

The original discussion came from a comment about MGW staying at a much better side if he had the chance. Despite the negativity we all feel, and everything we think we know about what goes on behind closed doors at the club, we've had four finishes between 7th and 13th, compared to a newly promoted playoff team that's an unknown quantity in the top flight.

It's not an unreasonable comment.

Last time we went down we'd been battling at the bottom during most of our stay. Even last season we were challenging for Europe till the last few months.

For all our faults we're still more streetwise in this league than a club that hasn't had a sniff of it for 20 years, and we still have players who have proven they can perform competitively in the PL.

2 Points from the last 7 games, 11 from the last 14. That's over a 1/3 of a season which extrapolated out wouldn't get 30 points. I don't see any reason for that form not to continue, although I grant you the season is still over a month away so there is time to address it

Their team is currently weaker than the one that got promoted by quite a distance. And they had a lot of fortune to get over the line. They’ve got to spend a lot of money to stand still, much like Villa did, who stayed up on a technological fault and having a £100m player.

In nine PL seasons Stoke never finished below 14th and prior to relegation their last four finishes were 9,9,9,13. History shows that relegation can creep up very quickly if you stand still and at the moment we're a way off that. If MGW goes to Forest he'll play a lot and even if they struggle he'll get the chance to show what he can do in the PL so he might take a long term view that a move is better than playing in a system that doesn't suit his strengths.

Back