• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Refereeing question

8. Mark Halsey can only DREAM of getting 8.

Frankie, your job is safe. I only got 5 !

So, what are the real answers Frank? It's really annoying to get told that you got 6, but have no clue as to which ones you got wrong, nor what the answers should be.

A couple of them are really pointless too, eg "Who is allowed on the pitch during a penalty shoot-out?"

The proper answer should be "it doesn't matter because everyone other than the taker, the keeper and the officials are stood 70 yards away from the action, so it wouldn't matter if Jimmy Savile were on the pitch for all the difference it'd make".

Only 5 for me. Perhaps I shouldnt be too critical of refs at our games

After seeing the answers I'm sure I only got three wrong.

So, what are the real answers Frank? It's really annoying to get told that you got 6, but have no clue as to which ones you got wrong, nor what the answers should be.

I will leave it a few days before putting the answers on here, so that gives others a chance to test their knowledge. To be fair there were some unusual questions, citing incidents that very rarely happen.

Did you get them all right, Frank?

Yes, but I had to think about a couple of the questions. Being a referee, I should get them, but for a fan they would not have been easy. The one that nearly caught me out was no5, where the player was guilty of misconduct in the tunnel before the game.

Strange one that. Is that the only time a sent off player can be replaced?

Yes, I think so. A substitute can be put into the starting eleven for any sending off offence that occurs before the game has started

If memory serves the referee has the authority to dismiss a player/manager/coach etc right up to the point at which he leaves the ground. So if a player entered his room an hour after the final whistle and verbally abuse him, the ref could issue a red card for foul and abusive language and he'd get banned.

If memory serves the referee has the authority to dismiss a player/manager/coach etc right up to the point at which he leaves the ground. So if a player entered his room an hour after the final whistle and verbally abuse him, the ref could issue a red card for foul and abusive language and he'd get banned.

Correct, though at Football league level the referee has to make time for a representative of both clubs to ask him any relevant queries he may have. At lower levels of the game there are issues with referees being verbally abused when leaving their dressing room.

I've seen these before and you can Google them to find the answers.

Back