• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Refereeing question

Frank, the ref who sent Berra off (who now got reinstated) what happens with him?

Does he get more closely watched?
Does he get a bollocking of one degree or another?
Does he even get a bit of a censure?
Do they just bring him in, have the reasons why they're overturning his decision made clear to him and let him go... or what?
Does he even have to argue his case seeing as how he was clearly adamant that there was no doubt that Berra was a bounder asking to be dismissed?

Frank, the ref who sent Berra off (who now got reinstated) what happens with him?

Does he get more closely watched?
Does he get a bollocking of one degree or another?
Does he even get a bit of a censure?
Do they just bring him in, have the reasons why they're overturning his decision made clear to him and let him go... or what?
Does he even have to argue his case seeing as how he was clearly adamant that there was no doubt that Berra was a bounder asking to be dismissed?

It depends. Did the referee admit he got it wrong? Which I doubt, so the regulations commission will probably have a chat with the assessor. He may get a week off it they think it is serious enough to warrant that, but generally it is accepted that mistakes do happen. And to be fair, I thought the red card was the right decision......

It depends. Did the referee admit he got it wrong? Which I doubt, so the regulations commission will probably have a chat with the assessor. He may get a week off it they think it is serious enough to warrant that, but generally it is accepted that mistakes do happen. And to be fair, I thought the red card was the right decision......

For me, it's not one that should be further punished.

Enjoy your week off, then, Frank!

Anthony Taylor, the referee in the West Ham United v Everton game, is receiving plenty of criticism for sending off Carlton Cole and Darren Gibson. The Cole red card did appear to be a little harsh, but as everyone in football asks for consistency, surely the referee was correct to dismiss Gibson for a similar challenge. I expect both clubs to appeal the red cards. Will they win their appeals?

Anthony Taylor, the referee in the West Ham United v Everton game, is receiving plenty of criticism for sending off Carlton Cole and Darren Gibson. The Cole red card did appear to be a little harsh, but as everyone in football asks for consistency, surely the referee was correct to dismiss Gibson for a similar challenge. I expect both clubs to appeal the red cards. Will they win their appeals?

So why didn't he send off Anichebe for the same offence on Collins?

They were dreadful decisions and he dug himself into a hole by sending off Cole. It meant he had to send off Gibson for a similar nothing challenge.

The worst decision of the lot was Osman's disallowed goal.

So why didn't he send off Anichebe for the same offence on Collins?

They were dreadful decisions and he dug himself into a hole by sending off Cole. It meant he had to send off Gibson for a similar nothing challenge.

The worst decision of the lot was Osman's disallowed goal.

Having sent Cole off, I think he had no choice but to send off Gibson. I have not seen the Anchebe incident, what happened there?

Osman's goal was disallowed because his assistant flagged for a foul.

Having sent Cole off, I think he had no choice but to send off Gibson. I have not seen the Anchebe incident, what happened there?

Osman's goal was disallowed because his assistant flagged for a foul.

Anichebe had his foot high and kicked Collins in the head. Foul given but nothing else. I agree that consistency needs to happen, but I'd rather they were consistently correct rather than incorrect. And as the Anichebe incident shows, he wasn't even consistent!!

As for the Osman goal - Jaaskelainen's body language says it all for me - I very much doubt he'd have been quite so calm if he felt he had been impeded. That was no different to Odemwingie on Bunn, yet that goal was given.

City's winning goal - McDermott is whinging about it but I can't see anything wrong with it - Barry's running on to the ball and is airborne before he gets anywhere near Shorey, I don't think you can say that it was premeditated?

I think that's a difficult one and I have a bit of sympathy with the officials here. If Shorey actually jumps and makes an attempt to get the ball, he'd probably win it. I can also see why Reading are so unhappy with it!!

Sitting on the fence on this one (Karl Henry would give me a bollocking for saying that....)

Well, no surprise i got a scabby 3, but Frank, on Q9, as the keeper has taken the kick, surely the ball is in play, and if the wind blows it into his net, it has to be a goal. If the idea is the wind was at fault, and that's nature, surely every shot that swirls in the wind and goes in should be similarly dissalowed and a goal kick given?

and Q12. When did this change from 9 players to 6?

City's winning goal - McDermott is whinging about it but I can't see anything wrong with it - Barry's running on to the ball and is airborne before he gets anywhere near Shorey, I don't think you can say that it was premeditated?

Don't think Barry did anything wrong he just wanted to head the ball a lot more than Shorey did. Shorey didn't even try to win the ball he tried to ease Barry out of it and paid the price.

Well, no surprise i got a scabby 3, but Frank, on Q9, as the keeper has taken the kick, surely the ball is in play, and if the wind blows it into his net, it has to be a goal. If the idea is the wind was at fault, and that's nature, surely every shot that swirls in the wind and goes in should be similarly dissalowed and a goal kick given?

and Q12. When did this change from 9 players to 6?

The ball isn't in play until it leaves the penalty area

Don't think Barry did anything wrong he just wanted to head the ball a lot more than Shorey did. Shorey didn't even try to win the ball he tried to ease Barry out of it and paid the price.

Agreed. It was never a penalty on Tabb either.

It was very similar to Henry's vs Boro IMO.

Back