• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

I saw that. There's a comment in the Telegraph by IDS:

Iain Duncan Smith, the former Work and Pensions Secretary, said: "The High Court called into question that the British people have the sovereign right to make this decision.

"If people aren't careful we will be left with rule making by unelected judges. This is a political matter.

"It is a much more important debate than just Europe. If the judges go down this road they are placing themselves above Parliament. It will create a serious, constitutional issue."

Lets ignore the irony that he's fine with whatever rules Theresa May makes up and that he campaigned for Britain to regain its sovereignty (i.e. a debate in our Parliament), I just can't believe that he's still choosing to ignore the currently tabled correct procedure to pursue his own agenda.

What creates a serious constitutional issue is the executive trying to lean on the independence of the judiciary. If Duncan Smith had any educational qualifications outside Sandhurst that stood up to even mild scrutiny (such as say, a law or politics degree) then he would know that.

Massive day in the Supreme Court today. Hopefully the Judges won't be swayed by the media rabble-rousing that took place after last months High Court decision.

For anyone who wants to watch live, there is a stream for Court 1 right here.

I just tuned in for bit. Let's just say it would be greatly improved if Judge Judy was there.

Meantime, Neoliberalism recieves a serious blow in the Italian referendum. A shame that the left in the UK couldn't have done the same.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start a thread for European politics and leave this for post-referendum Britain-related stuff?

Meantime, Neoliberalism recieves a serious blow in the Italian referendum. A shame that the left in the UK couldn't have done the same.

LOL. The Italian referendum was about reforms to it's internal parliamentary system. WTF does it that have to do with neoliberalism?

And the far right gets a right $#@!ing kicking in Austria

Don't think Mr. Hofer is very happy with Farage weighing in and saying Austria will leave the EU should he be elected. He was leading in the polls until that point, nice on Nige :)

What I would like to know from Farage and those like him who want to see to see the destruction of the EU, is what was so great about 1900-1960is that they miss so much?

Labour's motion on Brexit will be discussed on Wednesday:

Cy6sbF6WQAAwbrp.jpg

LOL. The Italian referendum was about reforms to it's internal parliamentary system. WTF does it that have to do with neoliberalism?

Apparently the winning side urged the Italians to "vote with your gut, not your brain."

I'll admit, I don't know enough about what's going on in Italy to have an opinion either way on the result but please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this sort of thing is completely stupid? These sorts of decisions that can have a very big impact on the country you're living in (and in this case consequences abroad too) and the persuasive technique is "just wing it and hope for the best"? It implies that people who voted weren't at all well-informed

Apparently the winning side urged the Italians to "vote with your gut, not your brain."

I'll admit, I don't know enough about what's going on in Italy to have an opinion either way on the result but please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks this sort of thing is completely stupid? These sorts of decisions that can have a very big impact on the country you're living in (and in this case consequences abroad too) and the persuasive technique is "just wing it and hope for the best"? It implies that people who voted weren't at all well-informed

Well for starters Brexit and Trump were votes for massive change, at least theoretically. The Italian electorate have just voted against change, to keep the status quo. They wanted rid of Renzi, but that'll be the only change.

The lesson on Brexit and in Italy is that lukewarm leaders shouldn't issue mid term referenda that are effectively on them personally.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/06/theresa-may-calls-for-red-white-and-blue-brexit

For all that he's a religious nut, Farron is growing on me. "Jingoistic claptrap" is exactly what this is. No substance at all, it's all very well saying you won't "reveal our hand" but you haven't even got the first clue what the rules of the game are, let alone devising a strategy to play it. May is as clueless as the three idiots she's chosen to head up Brexit, it's pissweak internal power plays and nothing else.

You know, I almost miss D-Cam. May is worse by a long way.

Seriously...

Public pref. for Supreme Court ruling:
Must have vote in parliament: 33%
Gov. can start Brexit process without vote: 48%
(YouGov / 06 Dec)

Back