• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

REFERENDUM RESULTS AND DISCUSSION THREAD

Thought was the Germans who had put that out - though now debunked by their medics and will be given to all once they get it (the EU have only approved it today)
No macron seems to have confused ineffective with not proven to be effective.

Our vaccine programme and certification of had nothing to do with not being part of the EU. All EU nations could have taken the approach we did from within the Union.

Apparently not. All 27 seem to need to approve together from what I have seen. Which is a bit mad.

One or two Nations (Germany & the Netherlands certainly) tried to do that & got slapped down

No macron seems to have confused ineffective with not proven to be effective.
The trial had 8% of the people were over 70 (or something), and someone in Germany reported it as 8% effective for over 70’s. The German government then corrected them, so not sure why macron is repeating it unless it helps him explain why they don’t have any astrazaneca jabs to his voters.

Our vaccine programme and certification of had nothing to do with not being part of the EU. All EU nations could have taken the approach we did from within the Union.
The article I linked earlier said that 4 nations tried but had to join the eu central scheme instead.

The trial had 8% of the people were over 70 (or something), and someone in Germany reported it as 8% effective for over 70’s. The German government then corrected them, so not sure why macron is repeating it unless it helps him explain why they don’t have any astrazaneca jabs to his voters.
That not what he said or repeated, there’s an article on the FT about it.

“If, and I say ‘if’ because I don’t have the figures, you inoculate the over-65s with the AstraZeneca vaccine and if, as I have heard it may be only around 10% effective, then your figures make no sense. What I do know because it is established is that if you give two injections of the Pfizer/BioNTech 28 days apart then you are covered at 90%.”

Macron appeared to be referring to an article in the Germany business paper Handelsblatt, which claimed the rate was only 8% in over-65s. The report has been widely challenged as incorrect, including by the German health ministry, which suggested it had mixed up the efficacy rate for over-65s with the proportion of older people involved in AstraZeneca’s trials.

from the beeb, thought it was interesting.

This is election year in Germany. Under fire for the slow rate of getting vaccines into arms compared with the UK, the German government felt forced to admit it had negotiated a separate vaccine contract with Pfizer back in September.

Ms Merkel is obliged to wait with using those additional vaccines until all EU countries have received their allotted doses under the EU-Pfizer contract, but still...

Hungary, meanwhile, has agreed to purchase two million doses of Russia's Sputnik V vaccine. Since the EU has no contract with Moscow, Prime Minister Viktor Orban is legally free to start rolling out those jabs whenever he wants.

Blimey, looks like the eu are in a real mess over invoking article 16.

One EU diplomat said they were astounded by the move and hoped it could be revoked within the next 24 hours. “Sometimes the quickest way to recover is to admit your mistakes,” they said.

One senior EU diplomatic source said: “This is an extraordinary misjudgement and shows a complete misunderstanding of the protocol and article 16, which is meant to be used as a last resort. There was no discussion about this and came like a shot out of the blue.”

Looks like they are about to change their mind. U Turns still allowed to travel to the EU I see...

Well, if they’re going to do a u turn, better to do it quickly and admit they fucked up rather than drag it out, so that’s something.

Back