• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheff Utd (A) 8/7 Build-Up and Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't be dead against Gibbs-White starting either to be fair I've thought this could be an option, a little further forward in a midfield 3 though not sure about including him if its a 2.

If I’m honest, I don’t think now is the time to be bringing in players that haven’t been playing - let alone MGW, who has shown nothing to warrant a start?

I’m curious what people see in this guy? Almost seems like when we might want to make a change, he’s the first suggestion? Based on what entirely?

Last time I saw him start, when I was at Espanyol (away) he looked like he’d won a competition to have a kick around with his heroes.

For what is worth, it’s the normal 3-5-2 for me, with Raul and Jota.

If I’m honest, I don’t think now is the time to be bringing in players that haven’t been playing - let alone MGW, who has shown nothing to warrant a start?

I’m curious what people see in this guy? Almost seems like when we might want to make a change, he’s the first suggestion? Based on what entirely?

Last time I saw him start, when I was at Espanyol (away) he looked like he’d won a competition to have a kick around with his heroes.

For what is worth, it’s the normal 3-5-2 for me, with Raul and Jota.

You don't think after a disappointing defeat (where we were easily beaten) is the right time to bring in different players? I'd love to know when the right time is then.

Think he's shown plenty of glimpses of what he can do can't base your whole opinion on that one last game (when granted he was very poor).

Nuno seems to see something in him as in he's in and around the squad enough and post break its seemed Nuno's wanted to give him minutes as much as possible so hopefully seeing something in training.

You say he's done nothing to warrant a start but how do you know? You don't earn a start purely based on previous starts/sub appearances you earn a start in training.

He's just a different type of option to have in the middle something we lack coming from the central area.

Its the normal 352 for me too (based on Neto not being 100% and therefore wanting Traore as an option) I didn't suggest MGW someone else did I simp[ly said I can see his/her point and wouldn't be dead against trying that either.

I didn't even think he was that bad in the Espanyol game tbh

It was a small thing in a game that had already gone, but I was impressed with his sprint and slide tackle towards the end of Saturday's game. Moutinho looked knackered I'd happily play MGW as the furthest forward in a 3 with Donck moving back and give him a rest if we are going to play 352. I wouldn't trust him in a 2 though

It was a small thing in a game that had already gone, but I was impressed with his sprint and slide tackle towards the end of Saturday's game. Moutinho looked knackered I'd happily play MGW as the furthest forward in a 3 with Donck moving back and give him a rest if we are going to play 352. I wouldn't trust him in a 2 though

So, you’d trust him to start in a must-win game on the basis of one sliding tackle and run, bearing in mind he’s made absolutely zero contribution elsewhere all season?

Just curious, that’s all - obviously we all have our own opinions.

Lets be fair to MGW here. His contributions this season have been minimal but he had been playing with back issue that eventually took him out of the squad for a while.

He is a talent and has shown that in the past. He certainly isn't as bad as some made out and certainly didn't deserve some of the stick handed out to him. If he didn't have anything to offer the squad, he simply wouldn't be here or he would have been dumped back in the U23's and someone else pushed up to fill his squad space.

As I have said above, I am a long way from MGW's biggest fan. Bluntly I think he's in danger of wasting his talent and the idea that he was once ranked on a par with Foden now seems absurd. But Nuno has got rid of plenty of people and MGW hasn't been one of them. At some stage we have to show some faith in him and it might just be tonight, when we're going to need some real energy - like he showed with that sprint and tackle. Maybe that was the first sign of a new attitude

Maybe that was the first sign of a new attitude

I don't that has nayhting to do with his attitude. That is how he plays we just haven't seen it this season for various reasons but non of those reasons are his attitude in my opinion

So, you’d trust him to start in a must-win game on the basis of one sliding tackle and run, bearing in mind he’s made absolutely zero contribution elsewhere all season?

Just curious, that’s all - obviously we all have our own opinions.
It's not really about what I think. Moutinho needs a rest, he had one of his poorest games on Saturday and is 2 months off his 34th birthday. I can't see him playing today and Everton so we have to look at who will replace him for one of them. If it's a 3 man midfield then your options are Saiss, but bring in Kilman at the back, Jordao, Neto but he has a knock or MGW. The latter seems the most obvious. If MGW isn't up to it, I see that as a failure of Nuno's or the recruitment teams as the 4th choice midfielder in a team who frequently plays a 3 needs to be.

Anyone who thinks Nuno is just going to change his starting XI based on one defeat obviously hasn't been paying attention. It'll be the same players from the usual 12 (Donk included).

Nah panic stations as Nuno has been reading Twitter since FT v Arsenal. Ruddy, Jordao, Kilman, MGW, Burr and Podence all in.

Anyone who thinks Nuno is just going to change his starting XI based on one defeat obviously hasn't been paying attention. It'll be the same players from the usual 12 (Donk included).

Absolutely. The reason Nuno is better than most is because he doesn't react too strongly on the back of wins or on the back of defeats.

Still, would be nice to see what Podence could do, he should be really motivated(not had many minutes so far) to make an impact

Still, would be nice to see what Podence could do, he should be really motivated(not had many minutes so far) to make an impact

Yep, if we were to go down the 352 with an attacking midfielder in behind Raul and Jota i would prefer for it to be Podence than MGW. Not going to happen though.

They don't play as a #10 though, and neither Podence nor Neto (we tried the latter at Palace when he came on, he looked like Steve Corica) can play CM.

Yep, if we were to go down the 352 with an attacking midfielder in behind Raul and Jota i would prefer for it to be Podence than MGW. Not going to happen though.

No, dont expect it to happen either, but it would be exciting to see what happens

TBF I don't think anyone has said they think he'll play anything other than the standard 11 (Donk if 532 or Traore if 523/343) people have discussed options and different players THEY may like to see or that THEY think could work.

If we can only discuss what Nuno will do on here may as well shut the board down hadn't we. Its called discussion.

would be nice with some more attacking threat from AM, not just mostly from wide areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back